• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Issue with Mantac Scraper Sharpener

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought my Mantac Scraper Sharpener at the start of this season and it initially seemed to be working fine.

The last couple of weeks though, it has been chewing up scrapers to the point where they’re basically unusable (see photos). It seems to have been getting worse and worse, where it was initially every once in a while, and now I can’t run a scraper through it without the scraper coming out looking like this.

I’ve tried running scrapers through at different speeds and pressures, and can’t really see a connection. My working assumption is that it’s user error, so I wanted to check in to see if anyone else has had this issue and how you were able to solve it.
949FB961-A854-44E3-9F35-C5878B5812E6.jpeg

E028FDA0-A709-45BC-84C9-3261A1BECA56.jpeg

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
show a similar close up of the cutter edges. My bet is they are getting dulled.

The plastic scraper is getting hammered instead of cut.

You could try warming up the scraper just before running it over the sharpener to reduce chipping. Hot water bath.

Also try different "plexi-glass" get it from the outfit that does window glass. There is nothing magic about specialty scrapers except the color and graphics.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Good chance the cutter bit is loose in the collet. Really tough to tighten the collet without a total disassembly.
Should contact manufacturer for warranty claim.

Chenzo

Putting on skis
Skier
Same thing happened to my first one. Send it back for warranty.

TS
Wade

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks. Emailed he manufacturer with pics of scrapers and the sharpener track and blade. Hopefully they can get it sorted out.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Get your money back. Get a Carrot.

Sponsor

Staff online