• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ISO: Best (Men's) Hard Shell with Removable Hood or No Hood At All

mallthus

Booting up
Skier
So, the good news is that I've managed to lose a lot of weight over the last year. Great for my skiing and my health, to be sure. The bad news is that I've needed to replace all my clothes. Fortunately, I found some killer deals on pants and inner layers in the spring and over the summer, but I'm still looking for a shell that meets my needs.

I made some turns last week wearing soft shell that (sorta) fits, but I need a new proper hard shell. Because I always have my helmet on and 99% of skiing is in the dry Rockies (Colorado), I really would prefer to find a shell with either a removable hood or no hood at all. The shell I've been using has a hood and I used it once in 7 years, so it's really just an unnecessary parachute for me.

So, looking for ideas after an unsuccessful search for threads or reviews. My ideal shell would feature:
  • No hood (or a removable hood)
  • Pit zips (or other vents)
  • Breathable (I ski hot, even on -0 days)
  • Available in a size that fits a 48" chest
  • Under $500

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Lots of options in that price range. The more I buy stuff over the years, the more I am a HUGE Arc'Teryx fan and realize their items are meant to be bought and used and abused for many years.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I always forget about Stio! More waterproof, and some of the product descriptors suggest it’s a knit that won’t last as long as a woven. Go with @Drahtguy Kevin’s suggestion

TS
mallthus

mallthus

Booting up
Skier
Some good suggestions there. I didn't even think of Stio, as, at my old size, they were officially non-existent to me. LOL

That said, I'll probably seek out the Mammut in person this weekend for a try on.

TS
mallthus

mallthus

Booting up
Skier
Tried on a bunch of stuff and didn’t find anything that blew my mind. Decided to punt, given that I’m still slimming down, and just got a shell at Eddie Bauer for 50% off. It’s not great, but it fits, has a removable hood, and will keep me dry through at least this season.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
FreeRide Systems are made in CO and offer a model with a stowable hood. They typically have a discount floating around. They are made in Leadville and are burly jackets with great customer service.

TS
mallthus

mallthus

Booting up
Skier
FreeRide Systems are made in CO and offer a model with a stowable hood. They typically have a discount floating around. They are made in Leadville and are burly jackets with great customer service.

Great products...I’ve seen them and tried them. They’re cut too athletically for my body. Even at my leanest (which I’m not yet to), I’m built like a defensive end.

moreoutdoorYuri

Getting on the lift
Skier
Central Coast, Ca. - Mammoth main squeeze! LOL!
.... but I'm still looking for a shell that meets my needs.

I made some turns last week wearing soft shell that (sorta) fits, but I need a new proper hard shell. Because I always have my helmet on and 99% of skiing is in the dry Rockies (Colorado), I really would prefer to find a shell with either a removable hood or no hood at all. The shell I've been using has a hood and I used it once in 7 years, so it's really just an unnecessary parachute for me.

So, looking for ideas after an unsuccessful search for threads or reviews. My ideal shell would feature:
  • No hood (or a removable hood)
  • Pit zips (or other vents)
  • Breathable (I ski hot, even on -0 days)
  • Available in a size that fits a 48" chest
  • Under $500
For me, I also prefer more than 3 pockets... prefer 1 to 2 zip inner for pass and credit card held in separate pockets.
also for the rare occasion when I'm carrying the cell.
I found and have 2 shells that tick all the above
Beefier Hard Shell - Marker Goretex with Recco - MD fits a bit closer to LG chest, not slim fit, pitzips which you don;t have to wrestle, removable Hood, high neck front/soft inside collar, Powder skirt can be used or not, drawstring hem if you use, 2 outside zip 'hand pockets' (they form 'open' inside pockets to hold a balaclava, neck gaiter or sunglasses,etc..) , 2 outside zip chest pockets, 2 inside zip pockets, one upper left sleeve pocket fits 'pass', velcro sleeve closure. With appropriate mid-layer has taken me from Mid to Upper 30's (windy/overcast Lk Louise day) down to 0 F on a cold windy day. nothing loose or extraneous on the outside to snag - 2 seasons old - $260-ish on sale - most similar to recent 'STeep N Deep' model

Lighter hard shell for 25F+ sunny days- Marmot, beefier than a hiking rainshell, not as beefy as Marker, not slim fit, not sure of breathable membrane/coating name, but works as well as any i've tried, pitzips, removable hood, 2 zip hand pockets (also form open inside pockets), zip chest pocket, inside zip pocket, velcro sleeve closure, soft neck lining, not noisy hardshell, drawstring hem. $140 on sale ???
Neither are insulated, but Marker has solid liner with goretex inner. Both show no branch damage or snags from frequent trips through the woods.
These are my go-to - prolly now 95% of my use - I have North Face, Mountain Hardwear and Spyder hard shell jackets which sit in the closet - they need to be gotten rid of.
Don't remember the exact model names - but expect they have similar in this year's models.
The other 5% use is for an REI Stormhenge 850 Down/Hardshell jacket with pitzips for REALLY Cold days ( 10F to -10F)

hope this helps

Sponsor

Staff online