• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
So it seems like the one piece is generally derided on the slopes these days.

A few seasons ago, I met someone jaw droppingly good who ALWAYS rocked a one-piece. She claimed she got cold in anything else and that's why she wore one.

Ever since I skied with her that season (sadly she moved back to Colorado) I gotta admit I dig the one piece when I see it on the slopes. It's retro and adds flair to the sea of typical stuff you see these days. Meanwhile on pow days I see occasionally see guys rocking a cool looking one piece of some type. I think it's a cool look on a pow day to be honest, but I'm waaaay in the minority I think. I've never tried one and imagine it's a pain to go to the bathroom in, but it seems it would be great on a pow day.

My wife gets cold and I tried to get her to get one to see if it works to keep her warmer like this lady claimed, but she's not having any if it.

What do you guys think? I've never worn one, but I like the idea. I hope the one piece come back! What do you guys think. Am I nuts?

Last edited:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Nothing better in deep blower pow.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I'm gonna say no just because I have an aversion to snow suits from my childhood..but yeah, they make perfect sense in a lot of way...

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
The last fartbag I'll ever wear:
4996657.jpg

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Give it a few years or a few decades. They will make a come back.
Not sure that's good or bad. Don't really care.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This is me in 2003 at Whitetail, PA. This is the last time I wore a one-piece for skiing.
1101396189_whitetail.jpg

It was a really cold, clear day and I pulled this '70s vintage "snowmobile suit" out of moth balls for the occasion. This was old technology fabric and warm, but bulky. I had another similar garment back in the day. I tend to run a little hot and I used to ski a bit more dynamically than I do now. Therefore, in general I found the old school one-pieces to be too hot and constricting for most ski days. It had a zipper all the way down the front, so bathroom breaks for a guy were easy-peezy (pun intended).
I have a feeling a modern one-piece made of high-tech fabrics might suit my older self better as long as they aren't too hot.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^
But TipsyElves always plays them for jokes. You need to get a bunch of folks wearing something more like this:

Although HH's choice to make a freeride suit in camo is a little less likely to make it popular I think...

surfacehoar

Getting off the lift
Skier
I almost ordered an icebreaker one-piece base layer yesterday. After looking at the fly and the zippered drop seat I reconsidered my desire to wear a one-piece.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I also think someone recently posted a review of their one-piece somewhere recently... a newer female member... but I can't find it now.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
I still have my Columbia one piece that I bought in 1999 - which tells you that I haven't skied enough over the last 20 years - but I love it. Sure it's a bit of a fiddle during the bathroom breaks, but pretty much any skiing gear with layers underneath has that issue. I hadn't actually realized how retro I was, but now I think about it, I haven't seen many others on the slopes with one pieces since I've got back into skiing. :geek:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Sure it's a bit of a fiddle during the bathroom breaks, but pretty much any skiing gear with layers underneath has that issue.

Yeh, don't forget that those fiddles escalate by an order of magnitude with wimmins' wear - they have to shed the upper and- somehow -roll it up behind their back to behind their knees while holding it to clear the sit-down. Without dropping it into the smelly puddles all 'round.

I think we should bring back the wall urinal as a womens' item - just like it was originally designed. Then 1-piece ski suits are easy - just run the zipper all the way 'round the bottom.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Found the thread I was thinking of... here's the thread where @TallKat links to her in depth review of an Airblaster one piece ski suit:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
My wife gets cold and I tried to get her to get one to see if it works to keep her warmer like this lady claimed, but she's not having any if it.

What do you guys think? I've never worn one, but I like the idea. I hope the one piece come back! What do you guys think. Am I nuts?

Take her to a snowmobile shop and see if anything from Klim or FXR fits her. Those suits are far better sorted than anything posted in this thread. Be prepared for the $1K+ price shock.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
^^^
But TipsyElves always plays them for jokes. You need to get a bunch of folks wearing something more like this:

Although HH's choice to make a freeride suit in camo is a little less likely to make it popular I think...
Norrona “unisex” suit. Maybe if you’re a twig.
Ponchos are about a the only unisex clothing item that works.

TS
Wasatchman

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I have a loooong body and short legs. If I got one that fit my torso I'd have a big pile of pants crumpled up at the boot top. The elastic seal (or whatever you call it) in my ski jacket seems to essentially make my outfit into a onesy, but without the fit concerns.

Sponsor

Staff online