• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

jseeski

Skiing a little BC powder
Skier
Mine is made of dark green canvas and the label on it says "Key." It's great for chaining up the truck or crawling around underneath to hook up a tow strap. Also for installing a new exhaust system when the old one falls off in January. Essential for operating a snowblower on a cold windy day. Goes well with Sorel-type pack boots.

Some of you snobs may insist on Carhartts.

:cool:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've got a one piece Gore Tex suit from REI that is really old. Pretty useless, since I drive to the mtn in my ski pants, but it is an AWESOME piece of technical gear for snow blowing!

Someone made one a few years ago that basically had a jacket that zipped onto the pants, with different colors so it really looked like you were wearing a jacket and pants rather than a onesie.... I think the zipper may have even been underneath, like a powder skirt. Anyone remember who made those?

North Face did that many, many moons ago. Developed by Scot Schmidt and my good friend Dave Wachs. The name it went by should shake loose of my brain right after I post this.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I've got a one piece Gore Tex suit from REI that is really old. Pretty useless, since I drive to the mtn in my ski pants, but it is an AWESOME piece of technical gear for snow blowing!

North Face did that many, many moons ago. Developed by Scot Schmidt and my good friend Dave Wachs. The name it went by should shake loose of my brain right after I post this.
I remember those. It was part of their "extreme" line, IIRC. I think I still have a poster somewhere of Schmidt wearing one.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I remember those. It was part of their "extreme" line, IIRC. I think I still have a poster somewhere of Schmidt wearing one.

YES. Part of the their extreme line, and called "Steep Tech".

Reactions: Ogg

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
YES. Part of the their extreme line, and called "Steep Tech".
Bingo! Steep Tech. I couldn't remember either. One of my friends who worked in a local shop had a pair of the pants. They were pretty bomb proof and complete overkill for resort skiing in the NE.

MT Skull

Look at me, I can ski with my feet together!
Skier
0001686_vivid-mono-suit-blue-aster (1).png

0001687_vivid-mono-suit-blue-aster.png
s-l500.jpg
s-l500-2.jpg

TOBE Vivid suit https://us.tobeouterwear.com and Splav Polartech Powerstretch 2 suit http://outdoor-equip.com/collection/mens-coveralls-suits TOBE is a snowmobiling brand primarily, but pretty ideal for skiing too.

The Splav suit is geared towards caving, with pockets in the knee area for pads, but again, work great for skiing. TOBE stuff runs big, and is meant to be worn over body armor, so downsize by one or two sizes if you're just going to wear with base layers. Splav runs pretty true to size. Build quality on both suits about as good as it gets. Polartech suits for under $200 is a good value IMO. I didn't pay retail for the suit, and not sure there's an audience for $850 suits, no matter how good the build.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'm starting to rethink the decision to put mine down in the crawl space a month ago.
13220767_1297544813594387_8675358175828013673_o.jpg

Both have big hoods.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
IMG_0943.JPG

This is an industrial freezer suit, made for people who work in freezers all day. It is seriously warm - and likely could work on an extremely cold day on the slopes. I got it when I was doing some amateur astronomy in Australia in winter when it was below freezing at night - that hobby has one standing around rather than moving so one needs warmer clothing than one would otherwise imagine. Given skiing involves vigorous exercise, one would only use something like this below 0F or -15C I would imagine - but it's a possibility.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
View attachment 87364
This is an industrial freezer suit, made for people who work in freezers all day. It is seriously warm - and likely could work on an extremely cold day on the slopes. I got it when I was doing some amateur astronomy in Australia in winter when it was below freezing at night - that hobby has one standing around rather than moving so one needs warmer clothing than one would otherwise imagine. Given skiing involves vigorous exercise, one would only use something like this below 0F or -15C I would imagine - but it's a possibility.
Ya, that's where the pit zips and side vents on the legs come in. My late 90s TNF has those, the early 90s Descente does not.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've seen a handful of one piece suits at the trade show and even a few in retail stores.
There is this hot number

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Then there is this Telluride one piece.
Screen Shot 2019-12-15 at 8.34.52 AM.png

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Then there is this Telluride one piece.
View attachment 87367
Looks really great when the lift roller grease drips on it the first ride up the mountain..

eyvoom

Yeti
Skier
There are some sick onesies out there! Usually though, you see someone rocking their 1980's/90's onesie. It's faded, out of style, and most definitely not waterproof anymore.

Still, I try to rock a onesie once a year... gaper day!

Dr. Mark

Getting off the lift
Skier
^^^
But TipsyElves always plays them for jokes. You need to get a bunch of folks wearing something more like this:

Although HH's choice to make a freeride suit in camo is a little less likely to make it popular I think...
Right! Winter's not complete until you've seen a skiing banana!

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
I *have* one of those! Yellow with black trim, it's the Scot Schmidt Starter Kit! Makes an appearance on Throwback Thursday and also was present during my last day of last season at Squallywood !!!

View attachment 87605

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online