• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
My first onesie was a Ski-Doo snowmobile suit. It was really warm. All black. Just what a kid needed back in the early 60s when we had cold winters in New Hampster. No photos. Dang.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
I got an AirBlasters ninja base layer suit- the quality is terrible, but the concept & draft protection rocks!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I always thought mine was pretty dang warm. Probably similar vintage as yours, @AmyPJ .
It's not wind proof and feels like a hot bag (fart bag!) because it clearly doesn't breathe. So, if it's windy, it breathes just fine but I freeze, and if it's warm, I sweat like a pig :poo:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I loved my Descente one piece for warmth....PITA for the bathroom though.
Mine was also Descente! Still laying around in a box somewhere...

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I've got a TNF that might have even been made this century. The Decente is in better shape. TNF is better for GNAR points though..

13220767_1297544813594387_8675358175828013673_o.jpg

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Someone made one a few years ago that basically had a jacket that zipped onto the pants, with different colors so it really looked like you were wearing a jacket and pants rather than a onesie.... I think the zipper may have even been underneath, like a powder skirt. Anyone remember who made those?

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Regarding fitting - one thing I did discover with my 1999 Columbia one piece: it fitted me well with lots of room in 1999. After 20 years however, I am able to confirm that long term storage has caused it to shrink sideways somewhat such that it is now a more snug fit.

I've experienced that exact same phenomenon!

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
So it seems like the one piece is generally derided on the slopes these days.

A few seasons ago, I met someone jaw droppingly good who ALWAYS rocked a one-piece. She claimed she got cold in anything else and that's why she wore one.

Ever since I skied with her that season (sadly she moved back to Colorado) I gotta admit I dig the one piece when I see it on the slopes. It's retro and adds flair to the sea of typical stuff you see these days. Meanwhile on pow days I see occasionally see guys rocking a cool looking one piece of some type. I think it's a cool look on a pow day to be honest, but I'm waaaay in the minority I think. I've never tried one and imagine it's a pain to go to the bathroom in, but it seems it would be great on a pow day.

My wife gets cold and I tried to get her to get one to see if it works to keep her warmer like this lady claimed, but she's not having any if it.

What do you guys think? I've never worn one, but I like the idea. I hope the one piece come back! What do you guys think. Am I nuts?
Well,.....start wearing them and lead the charge for the comeback :)

Dont forget the rear entries to go along, and head band, and red.white.blue framed sun glasses. But hey Im not really kidding so much as i am saying whatever you like is all that matters. Honestly if a one-piece is what one prefers and likes then Im all for it and the heck with egos and what anyone thinks. hey... maybe i will break out my old black stretch pants with the red shins.

I have to be honest. Imo outside the occasional real true outlier , I dont think people judge ski attire too much at all nor do i think most anything doesn't look ok (to me). Its not one thise sports/recreations where people are in new stuff every couple or even few years or so but (just as discussed in another thread) very many keep our stuuff and use it for a looong time. And that includes attire. Most older stuff simply just does not appear awkward or seem so out of place on ski slopes and in fact most goes basically unnoticed.

From beginners with their denim jeans tucked into high socks sticking out of their boots to other beginners in sweat pants, to people wearing stretch pants, one piece jump suits, football and hockey jerseys, bright colors, dark colors, etc,etc,......in the end there simply just isnt all that much on ski hills that looks strange or out of place at all.

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
I joke that one of the perks of my job is going to work in a onesie, but it's nomex and thus horribly suited for any temperature extremes. For the slopes, if you're gonna go onesie, ya gotta go big. Puffy, cinched waist, 80's style!

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
I've been a Shinesty fan over Tipsy Elves. While you're browsing the fart bags, don't forget to get some Christmas undies for your significant other.

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mine is teal in color and is branded "Killy". I got off EBay about 10 yrs ago but you can guess the vintage. I wear it a few times a year when I feel like scoring some style points. Or it's reeeeeealy cold.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Someone made one a few years ago that basically had a jacket that zipped onto the pants, with different colors so it really looked like you were wearing a jacket and pants rather than a onesie.... I think the zipper may have even been underneath, like a powder skirt. Anyone remember who made those?

Volcom - they still do.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January