• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Strafe makes one called the sickbird. I would totally get one except they are like $1,000. As someone said, be prepared for sticker shock...... If I can find a good deal, I might just get one :). My wife has definitively told me she won't wear one, so I'd be wasting money if I bought her one.
You could easily spend that much on a high performance top and bottom separately.

I think the biggest issues (style concerns aside) are sizing and, to a somewhat lesser extent, layering flexibility. Rather than being able to mix and match size and insulation type to taste, you now have to find a single piece of clothing that both fits your entire body and is actually usable on most days. It's already hard enough to find pants that are the right waist size and length (unless you're entirely "average"). With a one piece, you not only need to do that, you also need a top that fits.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a loooong body and short legs. If I got one that fit my torso I'd have a big pile of pants crumpled up at the boot top.
Me too. I'm sure there are guys and gals who could wear one and make it look great, but it ain't me. Closest I'll get is a race suit, and that's uncovered for only a short period of time.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If it's any consolation, they are making a comeback in the alpine ski racing circuit. At Killington I saw athletes from the German and Austrian ski teams don one-piece suits after completing their competition runs. They do have vents, and the zipper arrangements allow them to be removed and donned with relative ease (though not with boots clamped into skis). And the USST has them, as well, per pictures from the podium celebrations after Tommy Ford's win.

Speaking to what @Unpiste says upthread: the sizing conundrum is real. So many bits of ski clothing are sized around an "average" build. And this is fine for the middle 60 percent of skiers. Speaking for myself this tends to be troublesome as I'm tall and lanky. In ski pants, I try to find those with a tall cut so the inseam is long enough - but these are rare birds. Same with jackets: if I size up to get the right sleeve length, I'm often in a torso that's so big I could fit a second one of me inside. It's not a flattering look (I'm not looking for park-and-pipe baggy). And one-piece suits would make this even more of a pickle.

The alpine racing teams likely get a custom fit garment so the worry of fit is mitigated. For us mortals? Not as likely to occur, and the bespoke ski clothing industry is, shall we say, a really niche market.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
wait, you mean they have been out of style? Humm, I hadn't heard that..

73586_172362362779310_7638229_n.jpg

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The alpine racing teams likely get a custom fit garment so the worry of fit is mitigated. For us mortals? Not as likely to occur
Well maybe if they get popular, there will be a suitable range of sizes... like short and long version of all the regular sizes... or even short torso/long leg, and long torso/short leg version or something. Of course, they'd probably have to get really, really popular.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a loooong body and short legs. If I got one that fit my torso I'd have a big pile of pants crumpled up at the boot top.

And I'm just plain tall and very slim. I'm 6'3.5"/192cm tall with a 41"/104cm chest , 33"/84cm waist, and a 36"/91.5cm inseam. Like I said: tall and slim, a cyclist's build.

In most ski and sports clothing, I'm mix-and-match. If I buy a medium jacket or shell, most will have sleeves that ride up a few cm above my wrists. If I go with a large, the sleeves are more likely to fit but the torso looks like a bag on me.

And with pants it's just as bad. If I buy size large, the waist is slightly big (fixable with suspenders/braces and/or a belt), but the inseam is 32" and any knee reinforcement tends to hit above my knee, the legs riding up. A medium tends to fit perfectly at the waist but also tends to have a 30" or 32" inseam - same issue as before. XL sometimes has a better inseam, but the waist is too big and they fit like garbage bags.

Some brands have a tall cut (e.g. Mountain Hardwear), but even then it's hit-or-miss. And the production runs are often small, availability rare (special orders, anyone?).

So when I find something that fits, I'll use it until it is functionally kaput. My current Mountain Hardwear pants are nearing that fate, and I've yet to find a suitable replacement. Note that these pants need to withstand the rigors of alpine ski race coaching, which involves lugging equipment around the hill, often laden with sharp surfaces. And no, the Spyder Coach Bibs don't fit me well at all.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Speaking to what @Unpiste says upthread: the sizing conundrum is real. So many bits of ski clothing are sized around an "average" build. And this is fine for the middle 60 percent of skiers. Speaking for myself this tends to be troublesome as I'm tall and lanky. In ski pants, I try to find those with a tall cut so the inseam is long enough - but these are rare birds. Same with jackets: if I size up to get the right sleeve length, I'm often in a torso that's so big I could fit a second one of me inside. It's not a flattering look (I'm not looking for park-and-pipe baggy). And one-piece suits would make this even more of a pickle.

The alpine racing teams likely get a custom fit garment so the worry of fit is mitigated. For us mortals? Not as likely to occur, and the bespoke ski clothing industry is, shall we say, a really niche market.

This is why the snowmobile suits are better sorted - they have market NOW - and the proof is both regular and short fits on the Klim link I posted.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This is why the snowmobile suits are better sorted - they have market NOW - and the proof is both regular and short fits on the Klim link I posted.

Regular and short fits are great for most. For stilt walkers like me, they won't work.

Alas...

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Regarding fitting - one thing I did discover with my 1999 Columbia one piece: it fitted me well with lots of room in 1999. After 20 years however, I am able to confirm that long term storage has caused it to shrink sideways somewhat such that it is now a more snug fit.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I dont think many of us were built to fit properly in a 1-piece snow suit or a romper for that matter..

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I also think someone recently posted a review of their one-piece somewhere recently... a newer female member... but I can't find it now.

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
Take her to a snowmobile shop and see if anything from Klim or FXR fits her. Those suits are far better sorted than anything posted in this thread. Be prepared for the $1K+ price shock
The KLM plant is about three miles from my house- KLM gear is frequently seen at Kelly Canyon- not so much at Targhee- kinda niche gear for Motorhead sports but it is quality stuff.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
yeah the airblaster isnt waterproof not even close. The strafe one fits me well but its quite pricey considering Id only wear it on cold windy days and morning coffee would be a pain.......

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
They're great for slopeside.. Lounge pants and a turtleneck with fuzzy slippers by the fire.. Step in to that and boot up and you're out the door for a few runs, or a lot of runs. Kick off the boots, the suit and back in the fuzzy slippers by the fire.

Also work well for long drive trips assuming you can be OK with jeans under it folded up to your knees. Leave the suit in the back, step in to it in the parking lot when you arrive at the resort. Step out of it for the drive home.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled