• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Is your passport about to expire?

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Mine is somewhere in the pile waiting to be processed. Advice was not to renew until this is all over, but by then it would have been expired anyhow. I figured better to be in the first growing pile of applications rather than the impending pile of everyone who has been waiting for the go ahead. It feels weird not having a passport, but I wouldn't feel comfortable flying to visit my parents in Germany yet anyhow even if I could.

1) Best advice is to hold on to your passport now and if you need to do the expedited renewal do that - yeah it will cost you, but at least you have your passport when you do it.

2) You can apply for a new passport up to a year after expiration and it's the same as a normal renewal - no added hoops (like finding your birth certificate).

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Happy to hear they postponed it again. Hope it gets canceled before it ever comes into being.

It is too much like,"papers please".

Not really - RealID is a requirement that states require certain documentation to better prove you're you. The next driver's license you get will be RealID compliant, and I believe all states now have Real ID in place (Lousiana may be a hold out).

The requirement that you use/show a RealID compliant ID at an airport is a very small issue relative to getting the actual Real ID, which is the actual hassle.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Irony is Mexico is closing the border to Americans near Arizona.
Maybe since Covid-19 is out of control in Arizona.

TS
H

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Coach13 said above that there isn't currently any expedited passport renewal processing, either.

As noted above, the Real I.D. Act requirement for federally approved I.D. at airports has been moved back to October 1, 2021. There is a long list of approved I.D. documents.....https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification ranging from passport to Green Card to enhanced driver's license to TWIC (if you have one, you know what it is) to certain tribal I.D. to merchant mariner's document to NEXUS & Global entry and more.

NEXUS cards are linked to a passport. I don't know if the NEXUS card remains valid if the passport expires. If one plans on driving across the Canadian border...if it opens...and their passport is about to expire it might be a good time to get an enhanced driver's license. After one renews their passport they need to go to login.gov to link the new passport to their NEXUS card.

By the way, one gets TSA PreCheck included with Global Entry, NEXUS, and SENTRI for no extra charge. NEXUS is the bargain...$50 for 5 years for the fast lane at the Canadian border both ways, Global Entry to re-enter the U.S., and PreCheck. Also, for Global Entry card holders, those work in the NEXUS lanes returning to the U.S. (not entering Canada).

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Coach13 said above that there isn't currently any expedited passport renewal processing, either.

As noted above, the Real I.D. Act requirement for federally approved I.D. at airports has been moved back to October 1, 2021. There is a long list of approved I.D. documents.....https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification ranging from passport to Green Card to enhanced driver's license to TWIC (if you have one, you know what it is) to certain tribal I.D. to merchant mariner's document to NEXUS & Global entry and more.

NEXUS cards are linked to a passport. I don't know if the NEXUS card remains valid if the passport expires. If one plans on driving across the Canadian border...if it opens...and their passport is about to expire it might be a good time to get an enhanced driver's license. After one renews their passport they need to go to login.gov to link the new passport to their NEXUS card.

By the way, one gets TSA PreCheck included with Global Entry, NEXUS, and SENTRI for no extra charge. NEXUS is the bargain...$50 for 5 years for the fast lane at the Canadian border both ways, Global Entry to re-enter the U.S., and PreCheck. Also, for Global Entry card holders, those work in the NEXUS lanes returning to the U.S. (not entering Canada).

unless you're from NY we're banned from renewing TSAprecheck/global because NY won't allow feds access to DMV records :-(

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
What's the point? RealID's not required for another year and we're all persona non grata everywhere else in the world now so who needs a passport?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
What's the point? RealID's not required for another year and we're all persona non grata everywhere else in the world now so who needs a passport?
Proof of citizenship for work. I use it every season to let the resort hire me.

Last edited:

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
Some of us live abroad but still retain citizenship (and I guess we can still travel). So, renewing is important for us.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I would think a passport, even though expired, would still work.
Expired passports DO NOT work unless the hiring manager is willing to take the technically quite illegal risk and let it slide.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Expired passports DO NOT work unless the hiring manager is willing to take the technically quite illegal risk and let it slide.
The last few times I had to show proof of work eligibility, the list of acceptable documents does NOT mentioned any of them need to be unexpired.

Social security card for example, has no expiration date.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
A social security alone is NOT valid 'A' documentation and need secondary document validation. Passports are. Passports expire. Notarized birth certificates don't. The I-9 form download will have the information you need. It's pretty clear.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
D89F5709-2AB7-4A4F-AC24-F5E5EEB67857.jpeg

Attachments

• C0BE5477-1970-4A57-8D4D-2D4C9161E7B9.png
    C0BE5477-1970-4A57-8D4D-2D4C9161E7B9.png
    403.7 KB · Views: 2

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
unless you're from NY we're banned from renewing TSAprecheck/global because NY won't allow feds access to DMV records :-(

I thought it was just GE - PreCheck is still available to NY residents.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The State Department furloughed the people who do passport renewals. I've read that they have an 8 month backlog of renewal applications pending.

Don't forget there is a private company doing all the passport printing behind all the State Department front end.

And if you would like to panic, yes, they are laying people off too.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I thought it was just GE - PreCheck is still available to NY residents.
Yea, there's heavy smell of political Retaliation behind that new york GE thing I think; so there is a solid probability that will change by next January. A bit of a moot point right now, since I don't imagine the Airport entry lines are that long right now with travel way down, and new yawkers always walk briskly to be at the front of the the rat-race anyway and beat the rest of their plane's load.

As far as losing the free Pre-check that comes with the GE, I'd imagine the NY salaryman still has the option to expense CLEAR or similar priority and buy their way out in this class-based capitalist system that we live in, although I don't know if they get to skip the body scan. Didn't First/Business class also grant you free cuts to front of the line too at most airports?

Last edited:

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Just saw this thread. We submitted my son's passport for renewal in early May at the post office. No one mentioned that there would be a delay in processing it. I guess we now have to wait and see.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That’s kind of what I am thinking with TSAPre. Mine expires in October, and I had on my calendar to renew it a couple months ago. But I’m not hopping on a plane anytime soon and doubt that there is going to be a long line at the security checkpoint if an emergency comes up where I need to fly.

Well, crap. There is now a quasi-emergency for which I need to fly across the country.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January