• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Is your passport about to expire?

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just saw this thread. We submitted my son's passport for renewal in early May at the post office. No one mentioned that there would be a delay in processing it. I guess we now have to wait and see.
Looking at the state.gov site, they are gradually making progress in catching up on applications. 2 weeks ago there were 1.6 million in the pile, 187k issued. Last week 1.5 mil in the pile, and 236k issued. This week down to 1.4 mil in the pile, and 188k issued. They are getting an average of about 130k new applications in each week. I submitted mine the end of May. I am curious just how far down in the pile mine currently is.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Looking at the state.gov site, they are gradually making progress in catching up on applications. 2 weeks ago there were 1.6 million in the pile, 187k issued. Last week 1.5 mil in the pile, and 236k issued. This week down to 1.4 mil in the pile, and 188k issued. They are getting an average of about 130k new applications in each week. I submitted mine the end of May. I am curious just how far down in the pile mine currently is.

yea that table in the stats is pretty cool. They indicate the backlog right now is only a slight increase over normal historical times.

If the backlog is 1.43M and they're processing ~200k+/week, then it should be "only" 6-7weeks to make it through the queue which is just about normal (from when the restart happened).

The saving grace is that the incoming apps are way down too because nobody has any place to go or a passport isn't on their mind. The historical stats for last few years says volume was about 20M apps/year. So that means "normal" was 384k per week, Right now with the inbound apps of 133k/week that comes out to be around only 1/3rd of historical. But processing capability right now is at 1/2 to 2/3rd. Way ahead.

So with that processing rate well above the apps; it looks like they are just about "caught up" to historical backlog and should be eating in pretty quickly(as it stands right now).

Last edited:

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
yea that table in the stats is pretty cool. They indicate the backlog right now is only a slight increase over normal historical times.

If the backlog is 1.43M and they're processing ~200k+/week, then it should be "only" 6-7weeks to make it through the queue which is just about normal (from when the restart happened).

The saving grace is that the incoming apps are way down too because nobody has any place to go or a passport isn't on their mind. The historical stats for last few years says volume was about 20M apps/year. So that means "normal" was 384k per week, Right now with the inbound apps of 133k/week that comes out to be around only 1/3rd of historical. But processing capability right now is at 1/2 to 2/3rd. Way ahead.

So with that processing rate well above the apps; it looks like they are just about "caught up" to historical backlog and should be eating in pretty quickly(as it stands right now).
We have been waiting over 2 months on our sons passport so hopefully we are not to far back in the backlog and it comes back soon

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
We have been waiting over 2 months on our sons passport so hopefully we are not to far back in the backlog and it comes back soon
We went to the post office in late December and got ours in mid February.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Pequenita - I read an article that said Delta was best at cleaning/distancing/etc., then Southwest, United, and American in dead last. American is what my mom flew in late May, when they were supposedly leaving empty middle seats. They had no empty middle seats - her planes were full.

Last edited:

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have two passports, both set to expire in the fall, and not sure what to do. Looks like I won't be traveling out of country anytime soon. Are there any options at renewing at this time?

Sponsor

Staff online