• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Is there such a thing as a heated trunk?

Lebowski

Putting on skis
Skier
I've been on a long and meandering search for the car to replace my beloved-but-aging Legacy GT wagon. One Idea i'm entertaining: a big-ass sedan with a roof rack/ski box. Skis up top, boots and the rest in the trunk. Of course, my concern with that would be keeping my boots warm. I don't really want to have to keep them inboard with my passengers. So, do you guys know if there are any sedans with heated/climate-controlled trunks? Is that a thing? Has it ever been a thing? Cheers, Dan

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Run a D/C extension able through from the back seat so you can plug in heated boot bags? I have a D/C powered heating pad I sometimes bring along and put under the boot bag for a long drive when the bag is back in the cargo area. Helps some but not as good as a heated bag.

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been on a long and meandering search for the car to replace my beloved-but-aging Legacy GT wagon. One Idea i'm entertaining: a big-ass sedan with a roof rack/ski box. Skis up top, boots and the rest in the trunk. Of course, my concern with that would be keeping my boots warm. I don't really want to have to keep them inboard with my passengers. So, do you guys know if there are any sedans with heated/climate-controlled trunks? Is that a thing? Has it ever been a thing? Cheers, Dan

I'm kinda sorta into this idea, but having a Subaru wagon, such as a outback or any other SUV would that not get heated just having the heat on?

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Run a D/C extension able through from the back seat so you can plug in heated boot bags? I have a D/C powered heating pad I sometimes bring along and put under the boot bag for a long drive when the bag is back in the cargo area. Helps some but not as good as a heated bag.
The VW Golf I used to have had a DC 12V outlet in the trunk side well and it was nice to be able to do this, no extension cord required. I plugged in a heated blanket back there to keep boots warm (or at least not freezing) and still out of the way.

Now that I don’t have that & I upgraded to a heated boot bag, it’s something I didn’t know I’d miss til ski season came around. Definitely a small nice feature to look for in the next car, but certainly not a deal breaker

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok sir, I’m a @Lebowski, you’re a @Lebowski, that’s terrific, but I am very busy as I imagine you are. What can I do for you sir?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Heated boot bag in the trunk or just install a fireplace.
3002654a6ef5ca3354e9e0d9dccd5724.jpg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The VW Golf I used to have had a DC 12V outlet in the trunk side well and it was nice to be able to do this, no extension cord required. I plugged in a heated blanket back there to keep boots warm (or at least not freezing) and still out of the way.

Now that I don’t have that & I upgraded to a heated boot bag, it’s something I didn’t know I’d miss til ski season came around. Definitely a small nice feature to look for in the next car, but certainly not a deal breaker
My Forester also has a D/C in the back by the hatch. OP doesn't seem to have that.. although I suspect some DIY savvy person could add one in line using the wiring going to the light back there.

TS
L

Lebowski

Putting on skis
Skier
Whoah thanks all for the feedback - much appreciated! Sounds like a heating pad or heated bootbag may be the ticket, barring finding a 12v outlet back there.

And that fireplace is #vangoals for sure. So classy!

Ok sir, I’m a @Lebowski, you’re a @Lebowski, that’s terrific, but I am very busy as I imagine you are. What can I do for you sir?
:golfclap:
I just want [some heat in the trunk for my boots] to tie the room together, man...

TS
L

Lebowski

Putting on skis
Skier
My Forester also has a D/C in the back by the hatch. OP doesn't seem to have that.. although I suspect some DIY savvy person could add one in line using the wiring going to the light back there.

Actually I've never bothered to check if my old Legacy ('06) has an outlet back there - maybe it does? But again I was more asking in the abstract about sedans, with enclosed trunks, and how to get heat back there.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I'm kinda sorta into this idea, but having a Subaru wagon, such as a outback or any other SUV would that not get heated just having the heat on?

Not enough to warm up a cold pair of boots, not even with a 2 hour drive.

Whoah thanks all for the feedback - much appreciated! Sounds like a heating pad or heated bootbag may be the ticket, barring finding a 12v outlet back there.

Enclosed sedan trunks are usually very poorly insulated, unless the car belonged to an audio freak or something. This means you will soon want standalone heating pads in the 300W range or thereabouts, possibly higher. 300W/12V - well you can see how much amperage that would draw.

If you're going to use something in the 100W range or less, it needs to be in proximity or even contact with the boots. You can do that with a couple of blankets or towels, but heated boot bags are neater and quicker.

Last edited:
TS
L

Lebowski

Putting on skis
Skier
Not enough to warm up a cold pair of boots, not even with a 2 hour drive.

Enclosed sedan trunks are usually very poorly insulated, unless the car belonged to an audio freak or something. This means you will soon want standalone heating pads in the 300W range or thereabouts, possibly higher. 300W/12V - well you can see how much amperage that would draw.

If you're going to use something in the 100W range or less, it needs to be in proximity or even contact with the boots. You can do that with a couple of blankets or towels, but heated boot bags are neater and quicker.

Well-noted and thanks!

I had to let my LGT wagon go many years ago and my prediction is that you're going to miss a lot more than warm boots.

Your prediction is probably right. It's been a wonderful machine. I don't wanna threadjack my own thread, but suffice it to say it's a whole other topic and it's why I've held on to the wagon until now. But if I can ask, why did you let yours go, and what did you end up replacing it with?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I mean, having the disinfectant and getting someone to actually use the disinfectant.. That's like shoving spaghetti up a wild cat's ass..

Sponsor