• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Is snowboarding dead? According the the NY Times, yes

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I like that - Skittle colors.

We used to call the park kids the "Skittle Mafia." They don't dress in bright colors anymore, but I do. I like to say I dress "full skittle."

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So do other boarders but they only seem to hit skiers. Perhaps they can smell the other boarders even though they don't see them?
That's not accurate.
I believe we hear about the skier/snowboarder accidents, but I have witnessed more than one Snowboarder/Snowboarder collision, most recently on a powder day when two were straightening a steepish pitch and happened to make a turn to slow down at the bottom, both heel side and both backs to each other. It was an ugly collision with two riders hauled away in sleds.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We used to call the park kids the "Skittle Mafia." They don't dress in bright colors anymore, but I do. I like to say I dress "full skittle."
Screen Shot 2016-03-11 at 7.27.58 AM.png

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

ErikL

AKA Bro12
Skier
At least at my local hill, I've noticed that the snowboarding demographics are different from what they used to be. Lots of older/middle-aged adults boarding, I assume to pick up a new challenge after they got bored of skiing. Maybe that's just weekdays skewing the results, though. Still plenty of gaper tourists out on boards but not really riding much, but the snowboarding population is definitely very different from what it was ten years ago.

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Full skittle, FTW. Just ask the Pugs... ;)

Re: NYT. All the news that's fit to fabricate. If it bleeds, it leads. Give us dirty laundry! Methinks they tend to over-sensationalize just a wee bit.

I think boarding will always be popular in SoCal, it's close to a huge population of surf/skate rats. At this point, I'd only consider going up to the local mountains (Big Bear, etc.) during the week as it's pretty uncrowded then. Weekends, though, uh, no. And it's not so much one population or another, just the overall crowd level...

:duck:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
"You're pulling my ski pole"?

"Now I understand the T-bar problems"?

"Fits right in with the soupy conditions"?

"I've heard of loud snow before..."

"Never mind skittles, you're cut off from freeing your inner anything"?

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Ohh! I got it!

"Hope you'e wearing a fart bag!"

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Ya want big air, kid? Pull my finger!

Smooth Johnson, Master of the Carve

Sponsor