• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Is skiing doomed as we know it in the NE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
40 seasons skiing here and comparing the last 10 years to the previous 30 years , I can't back it with stats but definitely believe we are trending milder. I read an article a whil back where a climatologist thought Pa. By 2050 could be experiencing the same weather Alabama has now.
If there is even a chance of that it's very disturbing.
Snow flurries today and it's 20 degrees out. But it likely won't last very long.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I feel fortunate to be able to drive to skiing in the NE. We had been Pocono skiers doing day trips until that wore my wife out. Like @Muleski suggests we took trips to VT and ME for skiing until my wife calibrated her tolerance for a long drive with reasonably consistent skiing. Killington won for size, variety, and length of season at a 7 hr drive. Flying to skiing is just not an option with our current situation. While working there is more driving than we like, but with retirement our ski-to-drive ratio will improve.

My mother-in-law lives in Wisconsin, so we keep in touch with the weather there. It does seem milder than what my wife recalls from growing up there, or my experience in Madison for grad school in the 80's, when there were two record coldest days of the century.

I was joking with my wife on the chairlift today that we need to invent a "jetstream" device that circles a ski resort and funnels all the snow in a certain radius onto the resort mountain!

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
By 2050 could be experiencing the same weather Alabama has now.
If there is even a chance of that it's very disturbing.
Snow flurries today and it's 20 degrees out. But it likely won't last very long.[/I]

In 2050 you’ll be over 100 years old?...I’m sure warmer weather will be the least of your concerns.....lol

Glass half empty/half full....I choose half full...;)

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
And yet the seasons are getting longer then ever. The Pocono's for example used to be Mid December to mid March, now they seem to extend from late November to early April, about 2 weeks on either end of the season.

I was pretty impressed with the snow pack last season on April 15th in Northern New England.

IMG_0361.JPG

The northeast has always been variable.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Heck!

The bump I ski at opened mid November with zero degree temperatures.

It's going to be a long season....;-)

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
There are some climatologists that predict Park City won't have a ski season in 50 years. So it's not just a NE concern.

If some of these dire climate predictions come true then unfortunately I think skiing will be a trivial concern versus bigger problems that will be facing humanity.

Wildbear

Booting up
Skier
Read this post from the "Durango Weather Guy" and the section on the winter of 1937.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
At least the northeast resorts aren't on fire right now..

pud

Putting on skis
Skier
I've been skiing Mammoth since 1968. some years were great , some good, some ok. Nothing has changed. Last year I skied later than any year EVER, July 25.

Wildbear

Booting up
Skier
Snowbird, Jackson, Targhee, Wolf Creek....all getting pummelled this year.
San Juan snowpack contains nearly 11 inches in snow water equivalent, a figure that is 217 percent of last year's number....and last year was huge.
Come out West.

WheatKing

Ice coast carveaholic
Skier
Lots of pink - red on that map = less than 99-12 avg.
Lots of green and blue/purple in spots as well.. weather is variable, jet stream is oscillating more than normal, bringing warmer air to europe and NE and colder air to central asia.

You want good skiing in the NE.. looks like Le Massif or the Chic-chocs are the place to be so far this season. Maybe Marble in NFLD, dunno how they got hit during the storm that just dropped nearly a 3' on St John's..

Its been unseasonably warm where I live, but I remember years like this in the past.. When the snow comes early oct/nov, it's usually mild dec/jan, and then we have a good late snow season through march/april.. When the snow first shows up in dec, then it's usually bitter cold through jan/feb and warm by the end of march.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Everyone complains about the weather but no one does anything about it. ;)
What would you purpose we do? Climate change is a world problem, here in America we could do everything to stop climate change and never have any impact. Not to mention the world has been warming for thousands of years , yeah maybe humans aren’t helping matters but it’s inevitable.
personally I think it’s all a big cycle and we as humans haven’t been around long enough to understand that. In other words this world we live in has a spring summer fall and winter. I’m more worried that we kill each other with bombs then climate change.

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
Global warming does not equal less precipitation. Warm weather does, however, mean less snow. Has it reached the critical stage yet in the NE and Mid-Atlantic? Seems like it might in a few decades.

I can only go by statistics, which show that last year was the second warmest on record. And that 18 of the 19 on record have occurred since 2001. This is from NASA, which I'd say is pretty reputable. https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/global-temperature/

As to whether humans can stop/slow climate change? The science is pretty clear that human-related activity is contributing to it. The question is, do we just dance on the bonfire or try to put it out? I'm going to go to my grave with a mixed scorecard, for sure...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online