• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Is skiing doomed as we know it in the NE

Status
Not open for further replies.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

This article in the Globe this morning spotlights volatile weather patterns and ski resorts economic viability with uncertain weather.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is why the multi-resort passes and their big conglomerates are spreading across the country.
Somewhere on their pass has good snow. Book your flight and go there!

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
In the NE, there is always a January thaw. Some years, it's not bad. Other years ...

Tahoe had a few bad years in a row. Life goes on. Blah, blah, blah ...

There is always a Chicken Little in every bunch.
Just go out and make some turns.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
KG's point about January thaws notwithstanding, this is a significant issue, even if it does represent the epitome of a 1st world problem. The 2010's were the warmest decade on record, and there's a preponderance of evidence that the trend will only accelerate. It's true the earth has experienced massive upsets in its environment over its long existence, but I have often thought I'm glad I'm 65 and will only experience a small piece of this one.
Sad.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Long before there was Global Warming, I came to the conclusion that skiing in Ontario compared to skiing in western Canada was like two different sports.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
We could point out some awful winters, going back in time. We had one in the early 70’s that was bone dry, or rain. Sandwiched between two good winters.
One of first winters, owning a ski house is Stowe in the mid 80’s was terrible at Christmas, New Years. Rain and more rain. Grass and rocks. We had rented the house and they asked for a full refund, which did not happen. Did not ski one day.
We have had early seasons {think before Feb 1st} at Sugarloaf that have been really lean. Horrible combinations of weather including warm, rain, little snow, huge temperature swings.
And generally things get a lot better, February into March.

If I had to make NE ski plans that were not season long, they would be to head far North. After President’s week vacation. Then through Easter. That’s been reasonably great...occasional rainy days to ski, or not.

It’s been that way long before global warming became a focus.

One bit of advice, in considering either season long leases, or owning. I would head as far north as you can tolerate in terms of a drive. Seems to make a bigger difference these days.

It’s not like the Rockies, for sure. Then again the Rockies are not like where we live in the summer. Not giving up the ocean.

And...for you younger folks...think about this back when snowmaking was a fairly rare thing. Only a few trails. Rarely used. “Snow” not that great. And when’s groomer wasa Tucker Snow Cat dragging a section of chain link fence.

The good old days were a lot of fun, and the skiing was not always that great! Today’s technology helps.

If I were doing this again, unless we were making decisions based on race programs and ski academies, as we did, I am not sure that we would buy a ski home and lock into one ski area, or general geographic area. I suspect that our kids would be playing a lot of hooky from school and that we would be on a plane a number of times a year.

Or...we’d be NORTH, with some elevation, again.

No fun to think about.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Global warming may be making the weather worse for NE skiing, but it was never good.

:roflmao:

Yeah I was thinking humm, I went skiing in Vt for a few xmas vacations in the 80's and there was always ice, powder over ice and some days with rain. And those were good snow years...

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I forget now, is it cooling or warming this week??? No matter, whichever one it is this week will be different next week.
New England actually mean 'land of uncertain weather', embrace it :).
There's always something to do!

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
At least you folks can sometimes ski happily within near hours driving distance when it does snow or is cold enough for artificial snow guns unlike those in Florida, Texas, or Honolulu. Maybe some day, some resorts in the Northeast will build open structures with movable ceilings above a few of their runs to let the good in and keep the bad out, as in cold day air and fresh natural snow in and rain and warm day temperatures out, that would be far less expensive than indoor ski resorts since in winter average temps are often so cold. And they could illuminate slopes when a ceiling is closed with lighting.

Last edited:
TS
graham418

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the main gist of the article was if the resorts can't stay open for 100 days a year minimum, the revenue isn't enough to stay in business. 1 season of losses they may be able to cope with , but 2 seasons , they may be forced to close

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ lift prices will just have to go up, or costs need to go down, or maintenance gets reduced, or they go private. Collingwood, Ontario, has several private slopes, which cost more than joining a typical high-end golf club in Ontario.

In Ontario, minimum wage went up a couple years ago. Many public golf courses reduced their daily maintenance tasks, one of which was not rake the bunkers. Maybe ski resorts will have to go to grooming every other day, etc. Who knows what may have to happen to stay afloat ?

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
As has been pointed out by several people, the NE has always had inconsistent winter weather, but climate change is making it significantly more volatile. It was 70 degrees in Boston on the 11th. The previous January record was 62.

I don't necessarily believe that this change means the end of NE skiing though. Some resorts will certainly close, but those that can adapt will be ok. Successful resorts will have to find a way to shift between their warm and cold weather activities literally overnight to take advantage of whatever nature brings. There will still be some great winters, the extreme nature of the volatility will mean there may even be some amazing winters now and then.

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
even if it does represent the epitome of a 1st world problem.
I know you're specifically talking about skiing, but climate change isn't exactly a first world problem. It affects almost everything/everyone in many ways. Droughts, floods, famine, disease, species extinction, goes on...

Maybe some day, some resorts in the Northeast will build open structures with movable ceilings above a few of their runs to let the good in and keep the bad out
That would be amazing!

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Weather swings: temps, wind, precipitation have been pretty severe this fall and winter to be sure. Very odd.

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
Here in SW Pa. I have zero confidence we are going to return to a winter pattern where we have a decent degree of consistent winter weather.
I believe we are experiencing a distinct moderation in our weather. Very disappointing.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Here in SW Pa. I have zero confidence we are going to return to a winter pattern where we have a decent degree of consistent winter weather.
I believe we are experiencing a distinct moderation in our weather. Very disappointing.

And you hold this belief WHY? Your lifetime of experience? Not much of a sample in my opinion.

But I'm an optimist. especially this morning, with 6 inches of fresh ... ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor