• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Don't know for sure, by my bet would be that MS skips this one. Nothing to gain, really. Her next tech starts are 3/9 and 3/10. I am guessing that her speed racing is shut down for the season.

Presume they'd like to lock up the overall, and the SL, and give her an outside chance at the GS globe as well.

Just my hunch. No more.

Ventura

Booting up
Skier
For two reasons, I am highly impressed with LV's DH Bronze despite some serious base burn. The first you can probably guess...

DWmaLafWsAAhwNz.jpg

Those edges look like they were dragged on asphalt. I would think that something that rough would not only slow your turns but also affect how the ski holds a line in the turn. Nasty! Impressive she was able to pull off the Bronze despite a serious equipment problem. Think that base would kill ~0.47 seconds during a DH run?

Wanna know what impresses me the most about her performance? She gave Goggia full credit for skiing better and apparently did not mention anything about the equipment until the next day, probably well after she had talked to her tech. Before she posted the pic of the burn, her tech had told her the base was probably burned by the 2nd gate! I forget who, but during the current WC season I recall one of the less composed European guys throwing his skis at the end of a run and later griping about the tuning.

Way to go LV, great leadership!

Muleski

Inactive
I also think that LV handled herself, really well, at the Olympics. Very genuinely. She has become a leader for not only the younger women on the USST speed group, but for most of the tour as well. That's a change from not too long ago. As a crafty veteran, who has been through so much injury, she also has the mindset that the games are just ski races, and things can all line up for you or against you. It happens. Would she have liked a couple of golds? Sure. Would have been a fairybook story.

In the SG she didn't complain about the wind, the surface, nor did she complain about the current bib draw process, where the 10th ranked skier is most often disadvantaged behind the 11, 12, 13, 14, etc. She was stuck with bib #1, which was no bargain at all. Last turn of the course cost her the gold. She was disappointed, but factual. I liked it. No BS. I didn't take any comments as being whining or unprofessional. Hey....wasn't to be. There was talk that her skis were, even with her lead, not running as many expected. She has the fasted skis on tour, and her tech does a tremendous job.

I also think she handled the DH well. Huge disappointment for her at the moment. She wanted the gold. Nothing "wrong" with that. Upon reflection, she's the oldest female alpine medalist ever, she's come back from a lot. I think she was super genuine in her praise of Goggia. They are god friends, and Goggia shows a lot of the "go for it", "go for broke", and "she's nuts" tendencies that a young LV did. I also think she was super complementary of Ester in the SG.

She has taken some heat, from those right in the sport, about posting the picture of h DH ski. I don't think that's warranted. Some say she's throwing her tech under the bus, and some even more clueless say she's throwing Head under the bus. Others, ,ore I think, just say she's showing what that surface was doing to some skis. The ski cost her the gold. No question. She didn't look "fast" to those on the hill, in terms of her normal acceleration at certain points on the course. Wasn't there. Pretty amazing to grab the bronze.

Her tech {and she and her coaches most likely} made the call as to which skis to use, and Heinz went to work to make them the fastest. He's one of the very best. Maybe the best. That surface was really screwy. The weather and and was odd. The sun. You rarely have 400 or so skiers who have largely been running on the same track. Looks like he bet on that base being her best shot at that gold. Didn't work out.

She didn't go nuts in the finish.No question she knew the skis were "not good" early in the run. She probably noticed the bases as soon as she un-clicked from. I have ZERO problems with her saying that he skis were cooked, and that was no help. That's the truth. I don't know who controls her social media. I believe that she actually does all of her stuff on one platform, Instagram. I think the ski pick was on Twitter....so who knows who posted it. I don't think there was any bad intent. At all. She would never have a bad thing to say about her support team. She gets it.

I've spent quite a bit of time around her for close to 20 years. She's in a very good place these days, this year, and it's nice to see. I think she handled things very well in Korea, which was not easy. Lots of demands and expectations.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I think she handled herself well. I think it would be interesting to see what other's bases looked like. If they were all in better condition then what happened in LV's tuning tent?

Muleski

Inactive
I think she handled herself well. I think it would be interesting to see what other's bases looked like. If they were all in better condition then what happened in LV's tuning tent?

That would assume that other Head skis had the exact same base material.....which they likely don't. I believe that she had no inserts in the base new to the edge. The skis run faster without it.....normally. That's a really different grind, too.

No doubt on that day, in retrospect, it wasn't the perfect recipe for LV. But the skis are all SO different. I would not be surprised if Alice McKennis, who had a GREAT day, was on a pair of LV's skis.

Pretty sure that pair is a nice souvenir for somebody.....right to the dumpster!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I can't name another racer who has been through the physical damage and horrific injuries LV has rehabbed back from, and managed to climb back to the TOP of the field consistently. I think winning multiple golds at a single Olympics is impressive, but coming back from injuries that would have ended pretty much anyone else's career and then rising back to the top or the world cup standings several times is mind blowing to me..

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I can't name another racer who has been through the physical damage and horrific injuries LV has rehabbed back from, and managed to climb back to the TOP of the field consistently. I think winning multiple golds at a single Olympics is impressive, but coming back from injuries that would have ended pretty much anyone else's career and then rising back to the top or the world cup standings several times is mind blowing to me..
Hermann Maier

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I also think that LV handled herself, really well, at the Olympics. Very genuinely. She has become a leader for not only the younger women on the USST speed group, but for most of the tour as well. That's a change from not too long ago. As a crafty veteran, who has been through so much injury, she also has the mindset that the games are just ski races, and things can all line up for you or against you. It happens. Would she have liked a couple of golds? Sure. Would have been a fairybook story.

In the SG she didn't complain about the wind, the surface, nor did she complain about the current bib draw process, where the 10th ranked skier is most often disadvantaged behind the 11, 12, 13, 14, etc. She was stuck with bib #1, which was no bargain at all. Last turn of the course cost her the gold. She was disappointed, but factual. I liked it. No BS. I didn't take any comments as being whining or unprofessional. Hey....wasn't to be. There was talk that her skis were, even with her lead, not running as many expected. She has the fasted skis on tour, and her tech does a tremendous job.

I also think she handled the DH well. Huge disappointment for her at the moment. She wanted the gold. Nothing "wrong" with that. Upon reflection, she's the oldest female alpine medalist ever, she's come back from a lot. I think she was super genuine in her praise of Goggia. They are god friends, and Goggia shows a lot of the "go for it", "go for broke", and "she's nuts" tendencies that a young LV did. I also think she was super complementary of Ester in the SG.

She has taken some heat, from those right in the sport, about posting the picture of h DH ski. I don't think that's warranted. Some say she's throwing her tech under the bus, and some even more clueless say she's throwing Head under the bus. Others, ,ore I think, just say she's showing what that surface was doing to some skis. The ski cost her the gold. No question. She didn't look "fast" to those on the hill, in terms of her normal acceleration at certain points on the course. Wasn't there. Pretty amazing to grab the bronze.

Her tech {and she and her coaches most likely} made the call as to which skis to use, and Heinz went to work to make them the fastest. He's one of the very best. Maybe the best. That surface was really screwy. The weather and and was odd. The sun. You rarely have 400 or so skiers who have largely been running on the same track. Looks like he bet on that base being her best shot at that gold. Didn't work out.

She didn't go nuts in the finish.No question she knew the skis were "not good" early in the run. She probably noticed the bases as soon as she un-clicked from. I have ZERO problems with her saying that he skis were cooked, and that was no help. That's the truth. I don't know who controls her social media. I believe that she actually does all of her stuff on one platform, Instagram. I think the ski pick was on Twitter....so who knows who posted it. I don't think there was any bad intent. At all. She would never have a bad thing to say about her support team. She gets it.

I've spent quite a bit of time around her for close to 20 years. She's in a very good place these days, this year, and it's nice to see. I think she handled things very well in Korea, which was not easy. Lots of demands and expectations.
It is easy to blame ski and techs for fault when it goes wrong, it takes a class act to realize it is not intentional and all to work was to make you the fastest and not blame them and accept it gracefully under s@*t happens.

For that alone she has my respect.

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier
I was glad that she showed her skis. After the reporters talking about it being too cold to ski and that talking about "base burn" I wasn't sure what to make of that. Whether her tech, sponsors, etc like it is another story.

I really think she was on her best behavior with the media and I couldn't tell if she was genuine. After the backlash she had taken for the one of her pre-Olympics interview (regarding the WH) and what was happening with the allegations about Shaun White, I'm sure the athletes were treading lightly since she couldn't afford negative publicity.

I love that the censors didn't bleep Red Gerard saying Holy Sh!t and WFT when he won.

Ventura

Booting up
Skier
That would assume that other Head skis had the exact same base material.....which they likely don't. I believe that she had no inserts in the base new to the edge. The skis run faster without it.....normally. That's a really different grind, too.

No doubt on that day, in retrospect, it wasn't the perfect recipe for LV. But the skis are all SO different. I would not be surprised if Alice McKennis, who had a GREAT day, was on a pair of LV's skis.

Pretty sure that pair is a nice souvenir for somebody.....right to the dumpster!

I've seen grinds that have a pattern that appears to me to be very low angles to the edges, but that grind looks basically parallel to the edges. Designed to give highly abrasive snow little to catch in the structure?

I find the science and/or black art of base structures interesting...

Muleski

Inactive
I've seen grinds that have a pattern that appears to me to be very low angles to the edges, but that grind looks basically parallel to the edges. Designed to give highly abrasive snow little to catch in the structure?

I find the science and/or black art of base structures interesting...

Linear {straight line} grinds have been used on cold weather speed skis for years, but I've never seen one like that. I think that @ScotsSkier made the comment that it looked like it was done with a rake!

Her tech is very savvy, experienced and seasoned. It's pretty well acknowledged that LV had has the fastest skis on the womens tour for years, so I assume that he felt that base, on that surface was her very best shot at gold. No doubt that "snow" was the most abrasive stuff that most of these skiers, coaches and techs had ever seen. I haven't had a chance to ask any friends who may know "Why?"

Ventura

Booting up
Skier
If I'm looking at it correctly, the pattern appears to have very shallow, overlapping 'waves' in the center, with very smooth edges. Anyway, haven't seen anything like that (the waves) before. Would love to be able to pick her tech's brain for a few hours.

Is LV racing DH at Are?

edit-

Question: Theory behind the smooth edges was to increase friction and generate some water on the snow crystal tips?

Sponsor

Staff online