• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
PisteOff

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would be inclined to view it in number of victories period. This goes to the Nicklaus vs Woods debate as well. I personally think Woods is/was a better golfer. Looking at the field I would say Tiger had tougher competition. These guys today are way ahead of their predecessors in conditioning and practice regimen. Technology has likewise helped to tighten the field. With all of that said, Nicklaus is still the GOAT. :popcorn:

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I would be inclined to view it in number of victories period. This goes to the Nicklaus vs Woods debate as well. I personally think Woods is/was a better golfer. Looking at the field I would say Tiger had tougher competition. These guys today are way ahead of their predecessors in conditioning and practice regimen. Technology has likewise helped to tighten the field. With all of that said, Nicklaus is still the GOAT. :popcorn:

Being somewhat of a SME on golf, Jack is by far the GOAT

Tiger played to a higher level for a short period of time, but he is not Jack.

Not even close

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
The thing is, when it comes right down to it, ski racing is pretty simple. You are on your own, against the field, timed by a clock. Period. The entire objective is to go the fastest. Period. No excuses about teammates, referees, etc. If you win more than anyone else, against the highest competition available, then yeah, perhaps you are the best ski racer ever.

Debating.... a activity I did in school. In one competition, the a statement was presented, and, we were given either the Pro or Con position to support. Put 10 great racers in a hat, draw a name, and let the arguments begin. Something like a Pugski Sli Cagematch. We all have truth about who is the ultimate winner.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
RE: Lindsey's training and diet(not really diet, but eating routine)
I bought her book - Strong is the New Beautiful. It because clear to me that she has had a variety of diets, exercise regiment, daily practices that have all had some benefit but she is in a constant search for the right combination for her. I wonder how much of it is mindset. I'm not saying that she isn't focused on her race career, but I wonder how much of her personal marketing strategy to be relevant long after she hangs up her speed suit has impacted her drive to break more records and stay on top of the WC rankings.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
78, Looks like she is one step closer.

Nice day, nice to see. Very emotional day for her.

Yep, the course was slower for a WC SG, it was short, it was easy. She had better visibility than most. But...she crushed the field, even with the save near the bottom. She won. She might win tomorrow. Would not surprise me.

And she was happy. Lots of tears. Don't underestimate the pluses of having her dad there. That's been an incredibly strained relationship for a long, long time. And seems rock solid now.

I think we are going to see her go pedal down, full gas, in every event. Until her body breaks etc. That's pretty much how she does it and always has.

Would be great to see more victories, and a medal of any color in Korea. She's working her tail off, putting up with pain, and man, oh man is she a competitor.

She has shown a lot of us a side of her that many thought she had lost. She worked like a dog this off season, and this fall. The glitz, days in LA, nights on the red carpet and with the press all seem to be taking a back seat to her skiing. Not long ago, many close to this thought it was the reverse.

She's all in. No predictions on the Stenmark record. Just enjoying what we are seeing right now.

Congrats and best to her.

Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Nice day, nice to see. Very emotional day for her.

Yep, the course was slower a WC SG, it was short, it was easy. She had better visibility than most. But...she crushed the field, even with putting her hand into the gate/panel. She won. She might win tomorrow. Would not surprise me.

And she was happy. Lots of tears. Don't underestimate the pluses of having her dad there. That's been an incredibly strained relationship for a long, long time. And seems rock solid now.

I think we are going to see her go pedal down, full gas, in every event. Until her body breaks etc. That's pretty much how she does it and always has.

Would be great to see more victories, and a medal of any color in Korea. She's working her tail off, putting up with pain, and man, oh man is she a competitor.

She has shown a lot of us a side of her that many thought she had lost. She worked like a dog this off season, and this fall. The glitz, days in LA, nights on the red carpet and with the press all seem to be taking a back seat to her skiing. Not long ago, many close to this thought it was the reverse.

She's all in. No predictions on the Stenmark record. Just enjoying what we are seeing right now.

Congrats and best to her.

After the last races I was hoping she would just stop before she did herself some serious damage or worse. Now I’m not so sure.
Way to go LV!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I could vote for LV as GOAT women's skier. Gotta give my vote for GOAT all to Toni Sailer..

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Vonn is the top American female skier ever.
If your picking top female skier I'm not so sure.
The number of victories Vonn just topped was set in fewer years, in less events, and in far fewer races. Ann Marie also had a much higher percentage of podium finishes per race. She also took a complete year off by choice in her prime to look after an ill parent. Then retired at 26 while still at the top of field.
May never be anyone as dominant on the woman's side as she was in her era.

But it was a different era so its impossible to compare performance. Athletes generally are bigger, have far more extensive training, and equipment improves.
Often what was exceptional years ago can even be a normal performance level now. Same with most sports.

Muleski

Inactive
Vonn is the top American female skier ever.
If your picking top female skier I'm not so sure.
The number of victories Vonn just topped was set in fewer years, in less events, and in far fewer races. Ann Marie also had a much higher percentage of podium finishes per race. She also took a complete year off by choice in her prime to look after an ill parent. Then retired at 26 while still at the top of field.
May never be anyone as dominant on the woman's side as she was in her era.

But it was a different era so its impossible to compare performance. Athletes generally are bigger, have far more extensive training, and equipment improves.
Often what was exceptional years ago can even be a normal performance level now. Same with most sports.

Whenever this LV discussion comes up, I tend to think of her as the most dominant female speed skier of her era, and most likely of all time. Best of all time? who knows? Best of either gender? Not yet?

However, I think I could easily agree with any discussion and make a case for Annemarie Moser-Proll, who was just an amazing force. Six overall's, with that year off. Keep in mind that she was just dominant in DH, and close in GS, and there was no SG. The percentage of podiums is a great measure, IMO.

She is a contemporary of mine, so I remember he skiing well. Let's say that both of these women were very dominant, to say the least!

Last edited:

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think the question of best, there is no one correct answer as I think there are several. I don’t define it in number of wins but how they were achieved.

My feeling is that there are “GREATS” and IMHO she is amongst them at this stage.

dj61

Getting on the lift
Skier
She is incredible but she will not break Stenmarks record.

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think it's more than safe to say that she's the dominant women's skier of her generation. As with other sports, the playing field has changed, athletes have changed. Super G wasn't official till mid-80s, correct? And then there's super combined. So she's had more chances to win. OTOH, with better training and equipment, more countries involved in the sport (the Balkans) etc., the field is closer, and Lindsey has still won with alarming frequency.

I do think this will be her last year unless she has a fabulous Games and wins a few more WC events.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
However, I think I could easily agree with any discussion and make a case for Annemarie Moser-Proll, who was just an amazing force. Six overall's, with that year off. Keep in mind that she was just dominant in DH, and close in GS, and there was no SG. The percentage of podiums is a great measure, IMO.
!

Annemarie Proel once won 11 straight downhills. The WC was a well established venue in her time, though perhaps women's DH a bit less important than today. She had legs as strong as Hermann Maier, and I can only imagine what she would have done in SG.

Muleski

Inactive
This might be worth thinking about.

Lindsey did not start today, publicly saying that she had some minor pain in her knee. She's headed home, and will be back in the gate when the speed events resume in a month.

Meanwhile Tina Wierather skied with a very banged up hand from her crash yesterday. Unable to grip her pole. Evidently very painful. She finished second. Her eyes are on the SG globe. The injury sounds like it could be much like LV's of a few years ago, when they had to tape her pole to her glove. Might be worse. Hope not.

It sounds like LV's focus is on the Olympics. Which makes total sense. It also seems like her body is showing it's age and mileage. Which also is reasonable. She has been through so much.

I doubt if she or her team would ever say that she is not pushing toward Stenmark's win record, but it feels that way to me.

Having a potentially big splash at her final Olympics looks like the big focus. And maybe the best payoff.

My bet is that this will be her last season. Final races will be US Nationals at Sun Valley. Race the SG, and do a final "victory lap" run in the closing GS.

Just have a hunch. Hope she stays healthy through the season. Fingers crossed!

Sponsor

Staff online