• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Is it the clubs and pass holders or the weekend masses that bring in the most money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
This Blue place lets season pass holders have a separate priority loading line? To me this seems to feed the entitlement that people are so against with a team closing a trail. What type of people frequent Blue?

All kinds of blue people...…..:cool::nono::eek:ogwink:ogcool::cool:ogwink:eek::ogcool::nono::cool:

hahaha actually kind of looks like that on crowded weekend
except for me and my fans of course who are blue with envy:hail::hail::hail: :daffy:

fwiw Blue does have some pretty good skiing runs for the Poconos.

Last edited:

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Costs here range between $750-3500. But that's totally separate from the resort. Kids buy their season pass from the resort, but the race team was dropped by the resort years back. Now, that $750-3500 is partially going to the resort for whatever the lease cost is for the training area and running the T-bar. And some is going to the team vehicles, and use of the Team Room (which I think is a sublet by a restaurant of their basement, and the restaurant has their own payment to the resort for the building). And of course most is for coaching. The kids will also pay race fees when they hold races here.

The income of the race program is not only covered by program fees, but also by large fundraisers -- such as the annual Warren Miller show, and an annual auction/dinner event which has been known to pull in really big bucks. So, since I'm no longer on the board, I couldn't begin to tell you how much ultimately goes to the mountain. I know that the mountain makes sure these days that every department earns its keep. The race team isn't the only group causing disruption, either. There's Special Olympics, there's the Slopestyle events, snowboard races, freestyle team, school educational events with the Forest Service, mountaineering races, and on and on. The mountain pretty much has something going on all the time. The race team is a minority player in all this.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
fwiw, some these pricings don't really seem all that much different from kids on other types of sports travel teams and AAU teams and such. Not to mention the costs of some the traveling depending on the team and the organization. Baseball, basketball, etc...especially hockey which is probably the highest. Coaches, trainers, tourney fees, field/court/ice rentals for practicing, uniforms, etc...Nothing to do with skiing but just something of comparison.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
At BBMR, we get the race team/ski development teams at Summit and the Snowboard development team at Bear. At Summit, the coaches close off a run even on weekdays. Since the kids are in school, I assume it's for their own practice? It doesn't bother me as it's always been the practice. I have a much bigger beef with the race teams at Mammoth. I have actually quit skiing for the day after near misses in spring when there is limited terrain open and the race kids zoom past at mach speed to get to their race runs. A little good manners goes a long way!

On that note, the posts below are not conversational. They are the internet version of "talking behind someone's back." :nono:
The only thing that will make Goose happy, it seems, is Blue opening its books to him. And truly, they are the only ones who KNOW the answer to his question as it applies to Blue.

I'm pretty sure he would argue, sorry... "debate", that the numbers might not reflect what he is experiencing and that they might not be correct.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
At the end of the day if resort sells enough season passes, race team money, day passes, Ikon and Epic money we get new lifts, sweet groomers and man made snow piles that tower above our the lifts. Bring on all the masses that love skiing. It’s the oil that keeps machine running.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
At the end of the day if resort sells enough season passes, race team money, day passes, Ikon and Epic money we get new lifts, sweet groomers and man made snow piles the tower above our the lifts. Bring on all the masses that love skiing. It’s the oil that keeps machine running.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
On that note, the posts below are not conversational. They are the internet version of "talking behind someone's back." :nono:

Thank you for that. I do think Shibuski was just being honest there because Blue would be the only one that truly knows that. Im pretty certain nothing more was meant.
Mike's post had more of something else unnecessarily intended and perhaps a bit uncalled for. At least it would seem to me like it did to you.
Whether for me or for the good of the forum and us all ...either way...Thanks.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
fwiw, some these pricings don't really seem all that much different from kids on other types of sports travel teams and AAU teams and such. Not to mention the costs of some the traveling depending on the team and the organization. Baseball, basketball, etc...especially hockey which is probably the highest. Coaches, trainers, tourney fees, field/court/ice rentals for practicing, uniforms, etc...Nothing to do with skiing but just something of comparison.

My situation might be a tad different, but when I was a resident (room & board, coach, facilities, etc) at academy from Oct thru March it was about $25k + equipment & travel. I just looked tonight and the schools up to $56k.,

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
My situation might be a tad different, but when I was a resident (room & board, coach, facilities, etc) at academy from Oct thru March it was about $25k + equipment & travel. I just looked tonight and the schools up to $56k.,

Wow, just wow, but I suppose some here are talking different type of thing.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Naughty, naughty....
That is a very inside joke.
You need to change from "Contemplating the Big Couloir" to "Conquered the BC"!

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You need to change from "Contemplating the Big Couloir" to "Conquered the BC"!

Thanks, but it is meant to be a photo caption. That was just before I started. Maybe "about to enter".

By the way, do you know what the 38 page thread comment refers to?

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks, but it is meant to be a photo caption. That was just before I started. Maybe "about to enter".

By the way, do you know what the 38 page thread comment refers to?
I get it now! And, no, no clue to the 38 page comment. (Back to our regularly scheduled program now.):daffy:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We get people complaining at our local hill even though the trail map designates the trail as a "race trail which may be closed for racing or training". My response is that the racers will be out there pretty much regardless of conditions whereas the general public will bag it if the weather is less than perfect.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have no numbers on who pays the most to keep an area afloat but I do know that each area is different and sustains different impacts from different groups. A skier at a smaller area is going to feel a larger impact when a race club closes off one trail than an area that has several thousand acres of skiable terrain. At an area that has been scooped up by IKON or EPIC a skier is going to feel that impact moreso than an area that only has its own season pass. I believe it's been said above: it depends.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Apparently Rob Katz still thinks day passes are still important. Especially if he can get their money up front.
I don't get why this is any different than buying from Liftopia (or whatever pre-arrival online arrangement you use)? Maybe I'm not reading it closely enough? Here (independent area) you can save money by buying in advance online or buying the Frequent Skier card in December which gives you a reduced price on tickets all season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online