• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I saw this on FB and thought of this thread.
View attachment 92993

When my 1st son was born, after about a month of getting child rearing advice from pretty much every female in my family and then some, my dad rung my phone. He starts off by telling me he knows I’ve been getting a lot of advice about how to raise our son, but he only had one piece of advice. “Always remember that you’re not raising a kid, but a future adult”. The best advice I ever got and thought about it every time I had a teaching moment with both of my sons.

jseeski

Skiing a little BC powder
Skier
And then there are the jerks who pass me when I am waiting for the traffic jam ahead to clear.
This story happened on the road, not while skiing:

We received an intense early snow storm at the end of September up on Kootenay Pass in southern British Columbia. Being early, the snow was wet and greasy. Driving to the top of the pass, I encountered a pick-up truck pulling a travel trailer that was stuck on the road and was unable to get started even though he had 4WD. I stopped some distance behind him because I though he might need to back up. I left my truck and walked up to see what was going on and if I could offer any help. After I returned to my truck, a small front-wheel-drive car came up the road, passed my truck and then pulled in behind the travel trailer. Then he tried to get going again to pass the truck and trailer. Nada. Spinning the front wheels just caused the front of the car to slide sideways away from the crown toward the ditch. Instant karma.

Having checked with the driver of the truck pulling the trailer, I easily moved around both the small front-wheel-drive car and the truck and trailer (my truck is a 3/4 ton 4x4, already equipped with snow tires, despite the early date).

Situational awareness is a Good Thing.

jray

Booting up
Skier
[
[/QUOTE
Respect has to be taught and not in school but at home. Many parents just don't take their job as primary teacher seriously.
Happiness is seeing your 22 year old son hike back up the hill on his own accord to help out a gal who had a major yard sale. Proud papa moment. I will say that when she finally had her gear on and skied by me , I noticed she was strikingly beautiful. I asked my son on the lift, "did you stop to help that gal because she was so pretty", he says "no, but that's how karma works". Good kid.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
[
[/QUOTE
Happiness is seeing your 22 year old son hike back up the hill on his own accord to help out a gal who had a major yard sale. Proud papa moment. I will say that when she finally had her gear on and skied by me , I noticed she was strikingly beautiful. I asked my son on the lift, "did you stop to help that gal because she was so pretty", he says "no, but that's how karma works". Good kid.
Good kids are the result of hard work and dedication of parents that take the job of parenting serious.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
If you don't learn respect when your young it's a long uphill battle in life as an adult.

Reactions: eok

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid