• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Lining up to wait is something that was very British (obviously carried over into Canada and to large extent USA), unfortunately as the “ME” crowd grows along with global migration this has caused niceties to be left behind and forgotten.

Solution, wait your turn and don’t let your turn be stollen. Use the internet to publicly shame those cutting line.

I’ve opened a public door to step through and have had someone try to cut in, its amazing the painful lesson learned when you body check them into the frame just as they step in and say “Sorry, didn’t see you cutting in front!” It’s a Canadian thing apologetic and passive aggressive ogwink. Hurts both their pride and being.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I don’t think a snowboarder can have full control on hardpacked though, the best emergency stop for them is distance related to their velocity and throw in their skill level as well.
This statement also applies to skiers. Other than snowboarders having a bit less edge to work with, I don't see a difference.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This statement also applies to skiers. Other than snowboarders having a bit less edge to work with, I don't see a difference.
I’ve seen snowboarders in hard boots and step in bindings that carve and stop better than the average skier on hard pack and ice. I would allow these boarders to be called skiers ogwink

Sadly I’ll admit they are extremely few and far between.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Question to the masses in the etiquette world:
Is it more rude to stop on a traverse, blocking traffic, or is it more rude to yell at the person who cluelessly stops?

Is it more rude to ski up to the lift queue and block others while you wait for your ski buddy, then telling others to "go ahead" while standing in the way, or is it more rude to say, "That's not the place to wait, dude!"?

bamaman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Is it more rude to stop on a traverse, blocking traffic, or is it more rude to yell at the person who cluelessly stops?

Is it more rude to ski up to the lift queue and block others while you wait for your ski buddy, then telling others to "go ahead" while standing in the way, or is it more rude to say, "That's not the place to wait, dude!"?
It depends. Are they doing it because of ignorance or is it because they are just jerks? I find in almost everything nowadays that people have no clue what’s going on around them. They have little interest in thinking of others or how their actions affect others. Im a churchgoer and I get upset at the people who are still talking away when the service starts. Or they stop in the middle of a hallway to talk to someone without noticing the people having to squeeze around them. People are selfish by nature. But if you could approach someone and say something nicely, maybe they would listen??????

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Two wrongs still don't make a right. Yeah, I know three lefts do. I try and gauge if someone is over-terrained when they get out on a traverse. I've been there and sometimes it takes a little breather to figure out what's going on. Someone hollering at me certainly wasn't going to help. @Tricia, Mammoth two years ago at the top of Cornice bowl was my "stop on the traverse" moment. Talking me through helped. Someone coming up behind me and giving me s*^t would not have helped. There's a first time for everyone, everywhere. I even remember what ski I was on that run!

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
It is perfectly acceptable to yell "track" when someone is stopped on the ski track. They should step off and let you by.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
When I step off a traverse or a boot pack, nearly everyone who goes by says thank you.
I don't think etiquette is dead -- the bad cases just stand out in memory if you let them.

I'm not saying nothing pisses me off -- I've probably already vented about it up-thread. But on balance, the jerks are still a minority.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Years ago if it happened, correction was given, in not well received (enforced the next go around).

Now a days, politically correct and cameras everywhere either one may not end well.

Solution:huh:.

Rich McP

H20nSnow Elsewhere
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Some number of years ago I would have said the calling out would have been the more rude move. Today, I don't think so. I now do it regularly. I try not to get all wound up over things. I think I don't because I have exhausted all of my tolerance for the MEs. I just won't put up with it any more. I don't always call out either, sometimes it's a wide or dragging pole that hits their gear or boot (I try to stay away from actual body parts), which, of course, will illicit either, "What a d!ckbag!" or, "Hmmm, maybe I shouldn't be standing here."

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Two wrongs still don't make a right. Yeah, I know three lefts do. I try and gauge if someone is over-terrained when they get out on a traverse. I've been there and sometimes it takes a little breather to figure out what's going on. Someone hollering at me certainly wasn't going to help. @Tricia, Mammoth two years ago at the top of Cornice bowl was my "stop on the traverse" moment. Talking me through helped. Someone coming up behind me and giving me s*^t would not have helped. There's a first time for everyone, everywhere. I even remember what ski I was on that run!
Over terrianed individuals are usually easy to spot as you can see that they really don’t want to be there (in that case a little help goes a long way). I personally consider those issues as fall trying to clear as fast and safely as possible.

It is the others that are the issue that just stop because they can.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Some number of years ago I would have said the calling out would have been the more rude move. Today, I don't think so. I now do it regularly.
My tolerance for calling out is low, since I have been told not to stand there when I was NOT on the traverse. And then there are the jerks who pass me when I am waiting for the traffic jam ahead to clear.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My tolerance for calling out is low, since I have been told not to stand there when I was NOT on the traverse.

Your kit is too colorful. It's like one of those traditional flies that salmon will strike, not because they resemble food but because they're so garish they just make the fish mad.

And then there are the jerks who pass me when I am waiting for the traffic jam ahead to clear.

Yeah. I hate that. I was at Vail one day - the last time I was at Vail - about ten years ago. End of the day rush down the front-side groomers. It was so bad I pulled over to wait. I waited and waited and waited and waited. It started to get dark. I think I was one of the last people off the hill. Until that moment it was just ridiculous.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
We have all been there, and unless somebody told you on your first trip out a traverse “whatever you do, don’t stop on the f’ing traverse” you are just ignorant to what’s going on.

I will tell people to get out of the traverse in a skinny minute, if they are stopped. I will remind people that “not the best place to wait for your people” in the middle of the corral blocking the access and ski on to the lift. Clearly, their parents never corrected their behavior or they just don’t have any situational awareness - either way at least I did my part to help.

That said, I do stupid stuff too sometimes and dont take it personally when somebody says what I am doing is “poor form”. But, my parents were my parents - and I was corrected when I wasn’t doing the right thing. in public usually, so maybe some classical conditioning.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Years ago hadn’t been up to the local hill and spotted a new run, speaking to one of the season pass holders on the lift ride up I ask how do I get to the run, he offered to show me. When we got there, he said he’ll go first as he didn’t want to get stick uphill of me because I was still on 205 straights. HA! half way down he fell and blocked the entire run, well not wishing to be stuck up hill I pushed off much to his horror, 5-6 turns pause to jump his ski tips and continue. Guess I skied those 205’s better than he skied the modern skis.

Lesson in etiquette and not all is as it seems.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Years ago hadn’t been up to the local hill and spotted a new run, speaking to one of the season pass holders on the lift ride up I ask how do I get to the run, he offered to show me. When we got there, he said he’ll go first as he didn’t want to get stick uphill of me because I was still on 205 straights. HA! half way down he fell and blocked the entire run, well not wishing to be stuck up hill I pushed off much to his horror, 5-6 turns pause to jump his ski tips and continue. Guess I skied those 205’s better than he skied the modern skis.

Lesson in etiquette and not all is as it seems.
If you jumped over the trips of his skis, don't you think that was too close?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I saw this on FB and thought of this thread.
1581175978226.png

Sponsor

Staff online