• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A smoke of what sort? Did you take them up on it? :ogbiggrin:
Some sort of vaping thing and I’m assuming thc, especially since we just got recreational use here. Nice, though, that vaping it removes the smell, at last I assume so, since it didn’t stink.

And even if I WAS inclined to just smoke whatever a stranger offered me, I wouldn’t have from these guys. Two of them had such bad coughs that I’m sure the third one is sick by now!

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I tend to agree. However, I did this to three teenage boys who were sitting across a steeper section of a blue run, out of sight from above. I skied up and very nicely told them that they were sitting in a bad spot and were not visible from above. They skied off, with the last one cussing me out as he left. :huh:

well, f*** them.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Some sort of vaping thing and I’m assuming thc, especially since we just got recreational use here. Nice, though, that vaping it removes the smell, at last I assume so, since it didn’t stink.

And even if I WAS inclined to just smoke whatever a stranger offered me, I wouldn’t have from these guys. Two of them had such bad coughs that I’m sure the third one is sick by now!
And smoking is bad for you, anyway.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I think it’s a reflection of society for the most part. Most folks are nice and then there is the rest, in varying degrees. No different than on the roads, in stores, etc imo.
I agree. I don't actually think there are any more Ahats than there always has been. There are more folks on the slopes in general and therefore more Ahats among us.

I rode a lift with a young guy playing Sinatra and other crooners. That was unexpected.

A singer. I taught musical theater and even 13 year olds were well versed in Sinatra and other crooners. They loved to sing their songs because they are technically quite difficult.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

I was totally joking because I KNEW you wouldn't have, but ewww, nice riding next to people who are hacking. Got to ride the gondola with one last week. That's 10X worse--you are entombed!

well, f*** them.
I might have said just that...after I yelled, "you're welcome!"

James

Out There
Instructor
I've been told that most European lift lines are survival of the fittest. Never had the pleasure...
I've had very limited experience, maybe 5trips. Yes and no. I can't remember any real bad experiences recently. On the one where getting into the large standup gondola was a sport. To get say a group of 6 on you had to setup blockers and script it. Once the scrum was done, and you were on, it was like it never happened. That was different. In the States, that type of jostling would likely continue to confrontation.
I agree. I don't actually think there are any more Ahats than there always has been. There are more folks on the slopes in general and therefore more Ahats among us.

A singer. I taught musical theater and even 13 year olds were well versed in Sinatra and other crooners. They loved to sing their songs because they are technically quite difficult.
Last year I had a girl, say 13-4, who knew many of the songs to Hamilton and would sing them. Then another the next day and the two of them sang it.
And smoking is bad for you, anyway.
Now it's the safer alternative to vaping. Very delayed onset.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I tend to agree. However, I did this to three teenage boys who were sitting across a steeper section of a blue run, out of sight from above. I skied up and very nicely told them that they were sitting in a bad spot and were not visible from above. They skied off, with the last one cussing me out as he left. :huh:
My approach is, ”Wow, almost didn’t see you guys, it would have really sucked if I’d hit you, ‘cause you were kind of out of sight. Stay safe.” Then I ski off.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My approach is, ”Wow, almost didn’t see you guys, it would have really sucked if I’d hit you, ‘cause you were kind of out of sight. Stay safe.” Then I ski off.
I do something similar... heads up guys, no one can see you and you could get hurt if someone barrels over that ridge.

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
Fortunately, where I ski most folk are courteous and helpful; they will stop and help the victim of a yard sale, even if it means skating, or skootching to the lift. The rude and selfish are in the minority.
I have a question related to this. I always help people, but Sunday I helped someone that kept needing help. When do you just make contact with ski patrol?

What happened Sunday?

Sorry for the long read.
Short version if you want to skip the long stuff. I saw him fall 3 times while on the lift 3 different times.

Long version

I went over to find my wife at ten peaks. She was not in the Umbrella bar, so I went to her favorite run prospector. After skiing down and not finding her. I scanned the run on the way up. Toward the top I see a guy take a hard fall on skier right of the run not far from the top. I kept my eye on him as he flailed trying to get up. He got up and just stood there. So i skied down to him. I asked him if was alright and if he needed assistance. His buddy was about 50 feet below him. They said he was ok. I reluctantly left him, I could tell he was not a skier but some that was giving it a shot. He was wearing blue jeans, a heavy wind breaker , sun glasses and a rental helmet. I skied off and headed back up the lift. I spot him again probably 50 yards from earlier. Guess what he calls again, again hitting his head. As he's getting up, his legs goes forward. He falls backwards, hits his head again , and rolls under a tree in the middle of the run. Oh crap did fall into a tree well, I cant see anything except his feet. I get to the top of the lift and my lovely wife is standing at the top. I tell to her to get ski patrol, I will halfway down the run at the tree in the middle. I ski down and luckily he is just head first under the tree. He is standing up he heard me coming to him. I ask him are you ok? His answer "Mike Pompeo" sir are you ok? "Mike Pompeo - secretary of state " ok sir I know who that is but are you dizzy ? Headache? He says " it's the 22nd" . I told him why dont you have a seat, while we wait for help. He starts putting his skis back on. He slowly skis away. I sk uip to him and tell to follow me down and your buddy needs to watch for on coming skiers. He's not from the bridge. I tell come through the bridge and turn left. He comes through and stops in the middle of the trail and under the bridge. I get him off to the side of the trail and just start skiing backwarda, like I did when teaching my kids. We get to the bottom and the liftie said ski patrol was on there way. The liftie said thanks and my wife and I go our way. It's not my nature to just leave without confirmation that ski patrol has him. So I ski down pretty quick, not looking up the lift. This guy was stubborn so i wanted to make sure he was not hassle the kids running lift. He's not at the bottom, I didnt see ski patrol. So ask the nice young liftie if ski patrol has him. He confirmed they did. As I was going back up the lift stopped for a pretty long time. I figured yep they are walking him off the lift. I got to the top and they were rigging him into the gurney. Later at the bottom I saw him walking off without skis. I hope he is alright.

How many times should I seen this without reporting it? I wanted too the second time, but I was being sensitive to his ego.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I called patrol twice today.

The first was a bit comical. I ski up to a pair of gentlemen that look out of sorts. I notice that both heel pieces are absent from the skis. The tracks aren't broken nor are the heel pieces. He had borrowed a pair of skis from a friend and adjusted the heels to fit the boots. The problem was that his adjustment was beyond the maximum functional adjustment of the binding. How he got halfway down the hill, much less on the lift was beyond me. I verified that the bindings wouldn't accept his boots and called patrol for an 'easy rider'.

The next call was following seeing two pairs of skis crossed in the snow below 'Six and a quarter', the nub of rocks between the top of Peak 6 and Sixth Sense. There was a guy kneeling next to a guy who was face down in the snow. I shouted if he was OK but mistakenly thought he was gesturing he was ok. I skied a little more along the cat track and looked back. No patrol, no activity. So I called patrol, reported their location and waited until patrol arrived. I fear for the guy lying down in the snow. I hope he was ok.

I also give my gently used hand warmers to kids and adults when I leave for the day. I've never left the area with a set once I've asked if anyone wants them.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

How many times should I seen this without reporting it? I wanted too the second time, but I was being sensitive to his ego.
That specifically is the problem with concussions. The concussed can't make good decisions for themselves. Denial of injury is probably the most prevalent poor decision they make. 'Oh, I'm ok.' NOT

If I found someone clearly exhibiting signs of concussion, I'd call it in and maintain contact with the individual so that patrol could find him.

James

Out There
Instructor
That specifically is the problem with concussions. The concussed can't make good decisions for themselves. Denial of injury is probably the most prevalent poor decision they make. 'Oh, I'm ok.' NOT
Yep. I was out for “5-10 minutes” . Unfortunately, no adults witnessed it. I guess some came by as I was getting up. I vaguely remember someone asking about calling patrol. I don't remember answering, but I skied off. I think I told them I was ok.

Then proceeded to get the class 50yds down trail. I was told I skied in a wedge the roughly 5 minutes to the end of day meeting area. This was a blue/black group.
Didn’t remember how I got down, where I got hit, or the kids names without reading the list. Don’t remember talking to the parents, somehow I got through it.
I don’t know what I would have done if one of the kids didn’t tell another instructor I got hit. Good chance I would’ve gone skiing for a half hour till close, or just gone inside. Despite not remembering, I didn’t really think I’d been hurt. Logic wasn’t functioning. I wasn’t in pain that would have caused me to wonder why, what happened? If it was even possible to think like that anyway. Maybe not.

Last edited:

Dolomitiskier

Putting on skis
Skier
We had 4 separate incidents this weekend in Gitschberg which is usually a family friendly mountain and I generally think has lots of good, courteous skiers.

The first was a guy who yelled at my 6 year old for being too slow on a huge flat road at the end of the day on our last descent. The kid is actually a great little skier but he only weighs 43lbs so on long flats we sometimes have to help him keep moving. He was staying in a narrow corridor on the far inside edge of the trail and alternating tucking and skating while I skied just off to his side ready to assist. It is a really wide run so we were not at all impeding other skiers. The dude came up on my kid’s outside (opposite me) going super fast and almost buzzed him and yelled.

2: Two teens on super short skis with no poles going down the only black completely out of control and almost hit me and I was the downhill skier and holding my line just fine.

3: a dude skied across the back of my skis outside a hut with bar and no apology

4: 3 dudes in full power wedge screaming down a pretty twisty, narrow red almost taking out a number of skiers that were in front of them.

Sponsor

Staff online