• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ever waited for a bus/train in India or China? Helped me get comfortable with grabbing jerks by their collar and gently pulling them back behind me. Helps to be at least 4" taller than every one else, though.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
70042450_978030065890767_5135353161577398272_n.jpg.jpeg

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
As a senior that has lived in California urban areas most of my adult life, I have lived through a range of cultural and societal changes. There has always been a minority of rude and obnoxious behavior, however it is certainly on the rise and that is backed by news polling. Where it shows most is on our increasingly crowded urban highways especially during weekday commute hours. Also in any situations where people have to impatiently wait. As population growth increases in our urban worlds, it increasingly drives such inconsiderate selfish behaviors. And that growth is driven by wealth and power seeking individuals forcing endless growth and development on the world. An unintended pyramid scheme dooming our so-called intelligent species to disaster. There are already far too many people for both a healthy long term environment and its amazing DNA life on this precious fragile blue planet.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
I rode a lift with a young guy playing Sinatra and other crooners. That was unexpected.
Fond memories from several years back up at Chicopee in Canada- gorgeous blue bird day, got to the top of the lift, young liftie was sitting with his feet up, soaking in the sun, listening to... Edith Piaf, La Vie en Rose.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Fair comment. Don't get me started on the rampant undertaking and traffic weaving to gain 30secs journey advantage on US multilane .highways. Erm dude that wasn't space for you it was a braking gap given we're all travelling at 60mph+

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Had an interesting scenario this past Sunday at Keystone's opening bell. Got to the mountain way too early, so I lined up at the 4-chair Summit Express with two people who were there prior. One guy, maybe in his mid sixties and obviously in it to win it judging by all of the stretching, posturing, and walking around he was doing, seemed like he'd be an interesting person to chat with on the 8.5 minute trip up the hill, so I was looking forward to sharing the chair.

So, as opening time nears, a crowd of maybe 250+ people accumulates behind all of us and everyone starts jostling anxiously, as expected. The liftie eventually moves the barrier and, to my surprise, the guy literally full on power skates to get to a chair that's already turned and snag a single on the first chair. Not that the six second head start mattered much on the first tracks of the day, but I found it a little off-putting given the huge crowd of people behind us.

Him and I eventually shared the first chair on the next lift, Santiago, where he promptly lowered the bar strongly and without announcement and bashed the back of my helmet.
I used to imagine that with age came wisdom. Experience has taught me that this is not so. Young clueless arseholes merely become old clueless arseholes!

Spooky

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm one of those bad snowboarder people, but the other day I spent 15 mins during a rope drop helping a woman find her lost ski in waist deep pow. Once she mentioned she had a bf though, i left :huh:

Last edited:

udailey

Browsing Garage sale and eBay
Skier
My wife concurs with several of you but I love the Bluetooth speaker guys. I make requests.

I was at a great hill with fantastic hometown feel. Heading to a nice blue and at about fifteen miles an hour I got the back of my skis run over by the only other guy on that run..... What!? I looked back and wondered what the hell... And kept going. He did it again. I came unglued inside. He flies down to the lift line and when I get there he's waiting for me. I'm big so I don't know what he was expecting but he pushed me and then he found my bigger friend behind him. My buddy told him he needed to apologize, which he did. I steamed about it on the ride up but skiing takes the bad away so I was fine pretty quick. It was very confusing though. I still don't know what I did.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Have you guys ever been on a crowded lift line in Europe?
Have you skied a busy weekend at Hunter or Killington in the last 30 years?
You'll have more people walking across your skis in one lift line in Europe than 5 years in the US.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
When you witness somebody doing something crappy on a ski slope that is the time to turn on your most gracious and thoughtful behavior. We are the elders and zen masters of the skiing tribe and that's when it's most important for us to show the others the right way to do things. I'm sort of half joking and half serious when I say this.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
When you witness somebody doing something crappy on a ski slope that is the time to turn on your most gracious and thoughtful behavior. We are the elders and zen masters of the skiing tribe and that's when it's most important for us to show the others the right way to do things. I'm sort of half joking and half serious when I say this.
I tend to agree. However, I did this to three teenage boys who were sitting across a steeper section of a blue run, out of sight from above. I skied up and very nicely told them that they were sitting in a bad spot and were not visible from above. They skied off, with the last one cussing me out as he left. :huh:

Sponsor