• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
Have you guys ever been on a crowded lift line in Europe?
Have you skied a busy weekend at Hunter or Killington in the last 30 years?

I've been told that most European lift lines are survival of the fittest. Never had the pleasure...

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Most are very nice on the ski hill. But the other day there was a young guy so stoked for skiing that he was screaming Neo-nazi slogans. Stopped dead and saw he had his fam with him. SMH.

And I met the Bluetooth speaker guy before too don't be that guy either.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I admit that I can get (sarcastically verbal) "aggro" with people who do selfish or inconsiderate stuff in liftlines like not grabbing the single when they are head of the singles line or stand sideways blocking the entrance to the maze having a chat.

Speaker guys don't actually bother me too much - usually cranking some jam band or reggae stuff. Part of ski hill vibe like the Davey Crockett guys etc.

Europe is way more boring, just kids and people who who no concept of loading a chair to capacity and in fact are surprised when you join them on a 6 or 8 pack.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I admit that I can get (sarcastically verbal) "aggro" with people who do selfish or inconsiderate stuff in liftlines like not grabbing the single when they are head of the singles line or stand sideways blocking the entrance to the maze having a chat.

Speaker guys don't actually bother me too much - usually cranking some jam band or reggae stuff. Part of ski hill vibe like the Davey Crockett guys etc.

Europe is way more boring, just kids and people who who no concept of loading a chair to capacity and in fact are surprised when you join them on a 6 or 8 pack.
Come to snowbasin. People who don't know how to load a gondola properly is the specialty this season.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Dude, mostly people suck. Not all but the majority. Travel every week and you will witness stuff that blows your mind. What makes you think that wouldn't translate to the ski hill? Nothing shocks me anymore. No reason to go down the rabbit hole of examples, but needless to say if I could travel in a bubble boy suit, I would. Add in a "Vacation" or "weekend" ie. "My time" - and its a toxic brew.

Karma hopefully evens it out in the end.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Most are very nice on the ski hill. But the other day there was a young guy so stoked for skiing that he was screaming Neo-nazi slogans. Stopped dead and saw he had his fam with him. SMH.

And I met the Bluetooth speaker guy before too don't be that guy either.
Wait, what??!! I guess my daughter hasn’t been lying about hearing such garbage.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Dude, mostly people suck. Not all but the majority. Travel every week and you will witness stuff that blows your mind. What makes you think that wouldn't translate to the ski hill? Nothing shocks me anymore. No reason to go down the rabbit hole of examples, but needless to say if I could travel in a bubble boy suit, I would. Add in a "Vacation" or "weekend" ie. "My time" - and its a toxic brew.

Karma hopefully evens it out in the end.

7710250A-8076-4C6C-9DF1-BC514334D3B5.jpeg

With respect to skiing, I think it’s the change in demographic hitting the mountains.

I assume the majority of skiers on Pugs are “aspirational consumers”- you get into getting better in the sport & climbing the hierarchy.

Matters not where you enter- there’s always an upwardly mobile view on management of getting to the hill, your skills & behaviors.

Contrast this with the Instagram / Influencer culture & you get this picture above. Matters not how much of a disaster these folks are in real life- let’s just get the ultimate mountain selfie.

:roflmao:

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Was teaching a class Sat at a local bump when a couple of young males were bombing the beginners area with lots of kiddos around. Pulled them over and asked if they could read the big Orange sign. Do you know what "Dad" would do to you if you hurt his little girl? They got it.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
My work history has had me working with LOTS of strangers the past 50 years; 20 years ago evolved the "5% Factor". Very simple, 95% of people are good, 5% are jerks; try to associate with the bigger group. If the Buddhists are correct the little group will get a chance to do it over till they get it right. Don't think those numbers have changed too much but they have gotten a lot more visible.

Could the correct answer b "C", Culture?

amlemus

Putting on skis
Skier
Had an interesting scenario this past Sunday at Keystone's opening bell. Got to the mountain way too early, so I lined up at the 4-chair Summit Express with two people who were there prior. One guy, maybe in his mid sixties and obviously in it to win it judging by all of the stretching, posturing, and walking around he was doing, seemed like he'd be an interesting person to chat with on the 8.5 minute trip up the hill, so I was looking forward to sharing the chair.

So, as opening time nears, a crowd of maybe 250+ people accumulates behind all of us and everyone starts jostling anxiously, as expected. The liftie eventually moves the barrier and, to my surprise, the guy literally full on power skates to get to a chair that's already turned and snag a single on the first chair. Not that the six second head start mattered much on the first tracks of the day, but I found it a little off-putting given the huge crowd of people behind us.

Him and I eventually shared the first chair on the next lift, Santiago, where he promptly lowered the bar strongly and without announcement and bashed the back of my helmet.

Last edited:

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've been told that most European lift lines are survival of the fittest. Never had the pleasure...

Survival of the pushiest.

SOP is to jam skis between those of the person ahead of you and shuffle forward in tandem. If you don't someone else will.

The bubble lifts/gondolas are a whole nother world of inconsiderate behavior, especially in places frequented by Russians. It's about as bad as you can imagine.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Growing up I was taught to hold the door for people, both women and men. Those that say thanks are fine those that don't on occasion I have replied with "Your Welcome" some react and say thanks others have given me strange looks as if they don't know what I am talking about. Some people just don't have a clue, they are too into themselves to think anyone else matters.

I'm with you. I especially hate it when I'm walking behind someone going through a door and they let it swing closed without checking to see if someone is behind them. Zero consideration for others. It's not very hard to glance back and hold a door open if you see someone.

GET OFF MY LAWN!! ogsmile

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I had the pleasure of riding the gondola with one of those last week...thankfully, it was some mellow reggae kind of stuff. If it had been gangsta rap, I would have said something. Either way, rude.
I rode a lift with a young guy playing Sinatra and other crooners. That was unexpected.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January