• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Is Bib causing my upper body to be really warm?

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Hello

I started to ski again last season as I introduced my children to skiing. I bought an inexpensive bib for around $40 from Sierra Trading Post.

I was skiing in North Lake Tahoe last season with the temps in the mid to upper 30s.

I noticed that my upper body was really warm actually hot which really bothered me.

Under the bib I wore a long sleeved merino bled dri release with freshguard 84% polyester, 11% merino wool and 5% spandex shirt (made by paradox) , and the bib fit snug to my upper body. Was way too hot, the next day I just wore a simple short sleeved lightweight t shirt and was also too hot. I was just taking it easy on the beginners slope with my child.

I know there are alot of factors that can influence my question and situation but I think that the bibs snug contact is what was keeping me really warm.

I wore a lightweight but warm jacket, it is a Lands End, shell 100% nylon, body lining 100% polyester, sleeve lining 100% nylon, sleeve insulation 65% polyolefin 35% polyester,

I am thinking to ditch the bib and get a pair of ski / snow pants pants?

Ideas?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was skiing in North Lake Tahoe last season with the temps in the mid to upper 30s.

I noticed that my upper body was really warm actually hot which really bothered me.
Ideas?
Two things. 1. Tahoe does not get that cold, "Upper 30's" in Tahoe is like the "Mid 40's" in the east or even Colorado. So, layer, plan on shedding on or adding a layer as the day progresses. The bibs very well could be holding heating in. Do the pants have ventilation? If so, open the vents up..in the jacket too. 2. You are out with the kids, getting them going, very well you are working harder than normal which is creating more heat.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
One of the reasons I like my bibs - compared to the identical pants, just in non-bib form - is that they keep me warmer. So, yeah.

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Two things. 1. Tahoe does not get that cold, "Upper 30's" in Tahoe is like the "Mid 40's" in the east or even Colorado. So, layer, plan on shedding on or adding a layer as the day progresses. The bibs very well could be holding heating in. Do the pants have ventilation? If so, open the vents up..in the jacket too. 2. You are out with the kids, getting them going, very well you are working harder than normal which is creating more heat.
The pants and jacket did not have any vents, As for my upper body at the time there was nothing I could shed as it was just my jacket, shirt and bib. If I lowered the zipper on the jacket my neck area would be too cold. I was hot from the get go before the sun came over the mountain. I think I will pick up a pair of pants for next season.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The pants and jacket did not have any vents, As for my upper body at the time there was nothing I could shed as it was just my jacket, shirt and bib. If I lowered the zipper on the jacket my neck area would be too cold. I was hot from the get go before the sun came over the mountain. I think I will pick up a pair of pants for next season.
Labor Day Sales are coming up. Might be a good weekend to head up to Tahoe to look for pants. Oh, bring the boots and see what can be done. @Tricia and I havent decided where we will be over Labor Day maybe we can help you out.

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Thanks again for the helpful replies. I am 3-4 hours from Tahoe so don't think I will make it up there this Labor Day. I usually go to North Shore Kings Beach / Tahoe Vista and haven't seen stores that sell ski clothing, there is Tahoe Dave's but I don't recall if they sell clothing. Unfortunately I might just default to the internet to purchase the pants. I'll take a look at Level 9 sports, any other recommendations for online ski clothing?

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
Yeah, for me that would be too hot for bibs for sure. They're great when you get on the under side of zero.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Your problem may not be the pants but rather wearing an insulated and unvented jacket. I'd start with a shell there with pit zips.
This.. Put your lift ticket on the pants anytime temps are expected to be above 30 F. You can ditch the jacket and put it in a pay locker or just stashed somewhere around the rental shop where there are usually gear storage cubbies. I haven't had anything stolen doing that in a very long time, but when you guess wrong and have too much coat that is what I usually do.

A neck gator will resolve the cold neck problem.

Option B, do the above and pay dearly for a lighter jacket at the resort shop.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
I'm hoping a return to bibs keeps me warm in the east.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That's what body fat is for. I know you don't have any, but you DO remember body fat, right?

LOL. I have it now... bike rides notwithstanding. I don't like it. You want mine? :doh:

PS, How's the knee coming?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
To the OP: Yes.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Skied the Tahoe area at the end of February a couple of years back and found the weather perfect for shorts. If you are overheating skiing in shorts you choices are getting limited.

kayco53

Getting on the lift
Skier
That's why I like bibs for the extra warmth. Keeps powder out when I do something stupid as well. (We never crash right):huh:

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bib shell is all I ski with, ski mostly nights. So the added warmth is nice. Combined with a shell jacket it's easy to layer as needed

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
Love my bibs - I ski with them all season, just adjust the layers.

And I can attest - running around after kids is way sweatier than one thinks!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I started to ski again last season as I introduced my children to skiing. I bought an inexpensive bib for around $40 from Sierra Trading Post.

First of all, what brand of pants and what materials. At that price I'm betting that these bibs didn't breathe
Second, Bibs are warmer, so there is that.
I'm usually in a light shell pant when the temps are like that.