• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@François Pugh I have been using similar stuff in past (including as back up iron on early days of my serviceman carrier), but nowadays I would really advice to get some proper iron. Take IR thermometer and point it into different places on bottom of iron. You will see readings all over the place from 50 to 150c. With proper wax iron, consistency of temperature across bottom plate of iron is much much bigger, therefore it's much easier to work, and for someone just starting this waxing thing, much safer not to burn ptex, which can actually happen quite fast.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I've got this little pup. Does the job.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
@François Pugh I have been using similar stuff in past (including as back up iron on early days of my serviceman carrier), but nowadays I would really advice to get some proper iron. Take IR thermometer and point it into different places on bottom of iron. You will see readings all over the place from 50 to 150c. With proper wax iron, consistency of temperature across bottom plate of iron is much much bigger, therefore it's much easier to work, and for someone just starting this waxing thing, much safer not to burn ptex, which can actually happen quite fast.

Your reservations might apply to aluminum soled irons. But during the time of the GE iron, the bases were ALL STEEL. And quite thick.

You would be impressed how well they work. and work...and work... and work.

My preferred tool is a Sunbeam Ironmaster. Set between Rayon and silk. It's worked so well these past 30 years, I can not fault it.

I keep a "folding travel iron" available for ski trips if I anticipate more than a few days on snow. (doesn't happen often)
It is of similar vintage, also with a steel sole, but a bit fussy for the heat setting. It gets the job done though.

If we get a chance to run a blind test, "dueling irons" style, I doubt any skier would discern a difference in the result.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Your reservations might apply to aluminum soled irons. But during the time of the GE iron, the bases were ALL STEEL. And quite thick.

You would be impressed how well they work. and work...and work... and work.

My preferred tool is a Sunbeam Ironmaster. Set between Rayon and silk. It's worked so well these past 30 years, I can not fault it.

I keep a "folding travel iron" available for ski trips if I anticipate more than a few days on snow. (doesn't happen often)
It is of similar vintage, also with a steel sole, but a bit fussy for the heat setting. It gets the job done though.

If we get a chance to run a blind test, "dueling irons" style, I doubt any skier would discern a difference in the result.

Is the Sunbeam digital?

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Is the Sunbeam digital?

Well, there are the words printed on the red thumb wheel heat setting. i.e. Rayon, Silk, Cotton, Wool etc.

If it's not "digital" at least it is graphic.

'might be considered "digital in the early 50s? ;-)

James

Out There
Instructor
You could probably install a pid to control the temp. It essentially learns the reaction of the heating element/base plate and controls it to reach the set point and hold it. People modify espresso machines with them.

Sponsor

Staff online