• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Yeah well that's a Samsung phone. Apple keeps track of how many times you've replaced your screen and if you're under the curve their software knocks it out of your hand and cracks the screen.

Other income makes analysts happy.

Funny. I drop my phone plenty, hence the broken case. The screen protector broke when I used my teeth to hold the phone at some point. A tooth hit the very edge and caused a crack to develop. So much for the oral grip.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Funny. I drop my phone plenty, hence the broken case. The screen protector broke when I used my teeth to hold the phone at some point. A tooth hit the very edge and caused a crack to develop. So much for the oral grip.
That says a lot about your teeth. I had a Samsung plasma that lasted exactly 90 days. Hard to know how these things play out.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah well that's a Samsung phone. Apple keeps track of how many times you've replaced your screen and if you're under the curve their software knocks it out of your hand and cracks the screen.

Indeed, I had cracked only one screen in many years of not-so-gentle iPhone use, and suddenly I've broken two in about a month!

That said, I also dropped this same iPhone into the hot tub, fished it off the bottom, turned it off, and when I fired it back up, everything was just fine. (Apparently it weakened the screen, though...)

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Indeed, I had cracked only one screen in many years of not-so-gentle iPhone use, and suddenly I've broken two in about a month!

That said, I also dropped this same iPhone into the hot tub, fished it off the bottom, turned it off, and when I fired it back up, everything was just fine. (Apparently it weakened the screen, though...)
You can try...but no Apple owner of anything Apple escapes the Other Income line on their P&L. Now that they've found you....

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
I just took my 7 out of it;s case to do something. I forgot how thin it is. It would be so nice to be able to use the phone w/o the case but I am deathy afraid of even the slightest mishap.

Power Support AirJacket cases are the thinnest transparent iPhone cases you can find. It's like having no case at all, and they are still surprisingly protective. Made in Japan, so the quality is much higher than your average plastic case.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The initial reviews for the iPhone X are very positive. Here's a great podcast with some journalists who have spent time with the phone, including the NYT reporter:
https://twit.tv/shows/this-week-in-tech/episodes/639?autostart=false

@Ron if I were in the iPhone market it would be a difficult choice between 8 and X. I like the idea of the larger X screen with a phone that fits in my pocket. I'd still wait a few months, at least, on the X for Apple to shake out the bugs. Given the price of the phone, maybe wait until after ski season. Skiing is tough on phones, and you might get another year out of it if you buy after ski season.

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Sooo, Its a Iphone X for me! Why? Got a chance to play with my friends phone and there are some really nice features/functionality. The size really isn't an issue. I am using a more compact case, The Spigen Case https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074CMHQW5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 with the Spigen glass protector is supposedly pretty good and claims ot have 4' drop protection (waist height ) and with tis case, its literally narrower than the my lifeproof case on my Iphone 6. The X screen size is huge compared to the 8. I also love not having the button at the bottom of the phone now. the swipes are intuitive and make much more sense. THe camera is superb. I was doing some MA videoing with @Blue Streak and the quality of the video is excellent, not to mention you can see the video on the slopes much easier.

The facial recognition works amazingly well. It does not work with goggles on but you can just press the button on the side to open or take the goggles off.

Lastly, the animated Animoji's are bizarrely captivating... They are just too funny.

Last edited:

Sponsor