• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The conversation remimds me of the one verses the Subaru vs VW and reliability. Subarus aren't as reliable as the used to be and VW isn't as bad either. There is less difference between the phones now and it comes down to a level of comfort as what specific features are important to the user.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think anyone with a phone more than a year old and takes pictures should get a new high-end phone (iPhone or Android).

At least that's how I feel after spending the weekend with my new Google Pixel 2. Its pictures are WAY better than my S5 and grandparents iPhone 6, and noticeably better than my wife's iPhone 7.

My S5 works perfectly fine, but I upgraded because I got tired of so many crappy pictures, especially in low light. Don't think of it as buying a better phone. It's a better camera. What are those photos worth in the long run?

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm up for an upgrade and was thinking of getting the 8. I don't want a huge phone and I am thinking that $1k for a phone is a bad idea. Am I wrong? Anyone own an 8? Do I really need a case or is something that protects the edges adequate? I currently use a Life Proof case on my 6.

Yes, get the iPhone 8.

I'd avoid the iPhone X. Give Apple a year or two to iterate on the new design and bring the price down. And, yes you need a case!

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Nota Bene: I did not read this thread. This is my pat answer for all things cellular.

When tempted by a new product on the market, especially to replace one I already have, I ask myself:
  1. Does my current X do its job?
  2. Does the new X add significantly to the feature set that I must have it?
  3. Is my current X on its last legs, mechanically/reliability speaking?
When X = 'cell phone', in most instances my answer to 1: yes, to 2: no and to 3: let me see. I don't often buy new cell phones especially since I buy phones with replaceable batteries.

Of course if X = 'ski' then the answer to 1: yes, to 2: I dunno, to 3: let me see. Now that I work at a shop and get shop form, the results are not, shall we say, the same as for cell phones.

To be honest, if a new phone makes you feel better AND you can afford to pay the exorbitant prices of phones these days, why not? Keep the last phone around and charged though for the day you lose/break your new one.

I don't buy the latest and greatest in cell phone technology as the cost/benefit ratio is too high. If my phone can support Office 365 mail, OneNote, play music and take excellent pictures, I'm happy.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think anyone with a phone more than a year old and takes pictures should get a new high-end phone (iPhone or Android).

At least that's how I feel after spending the weekend with my new Google Pixel 2. Its pictures are WAY better than my S5 and grandparents iPhone 6, and noticeably better than my wife's iPhone 7.

My S5 works perfectly fine, but I upgraded because I got tired of so many crappy pictures, especially in low light. Don't think of it as buying a better phone. It's a better camera. What are those photos worth in the long run?

The Colorado Crew can often be heard saying that they have a camera with a phone app. ;)

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My iPhone X arrived. First impressions....I really like the new smaller size compared to the 7 Plus and the screen is very, very nice. Face ID has worked without issue but it's going to take some time to get used to it turning on every time I look at the thing. It's a bit slow to unlock but not unreasonable. I'm very interested to see how it does with my beard. I tend to let it grow over the course of 7-10 days and then trim it really short. I know the phone is supposed to adapt but we'll see how well it does that.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'm an Android girl through and through. I had an iphone once but I'm just not a fan for a lot of reasons but to each his own. They make a fine product but just not for me. I do like my ipod shuffle that I ski with. My work phone might be switching our provider to verizon so I see a Google 2XL in my future. Right now my work phone is a Samsung 8+ and I love it. In the meantime I toggle between LG and Samsung with my current personal phone being a LG V20. I have a plan that allows me to upgrade ever 6 months if I so choose so I'm not getting rid of that option anytime soon. They just recently got rid of that option for new comers but I'm grandfathered in so being I'm a bit of a phone whore it works for me. :)

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
My iPhone X arrived. First impressions....I really like the new smaller size compared to the 7 Plus and the screen is very, very nice. Face ID has worked without issue but it's going to take some time to get used to it turning on every time I look at the thing. It's a bit slow to unlock but not unreasonable. I'm very interested to see how it does with my beard. I tend to let it grow over the course of 7-10 days and then trim it really short. I know the phone is supposed to adapt but we'll see how well it does that.

Ok, now put on a ski helmet with goggles and try it

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nota Bene: I did not read this thread. This is my pat answer for all things cellular.

When tempted by a new product on the market, especially to replace one I already have, I ask myself:
  1. Does my current X do its job?
  2. Does the new X add significantly to the feature set that I must have it?
  3. Is my current X on its last legs, mechanically/reliability speaking?

Doug, with respect I'd suggest adding:

4. Is my current X activly supported and are security updates automatically applied?
There is an enormous number of phones and other devices with gaping security flaws in use that otherwise work fine. It's way too scary out there to use an insecure device.

Last edited:

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm an Android girl through and through. I had an iphone once but I'm just not a fan for a lot of reasons but to each his own. They make a fine product but just not for me. I do like my ipod shuffle that I ski with. My work phone might be switching our provider to verizon so I see a Google 2XL in my future. Right now my work phone is a Samsung 8+ and I love it. In the meantime I toggle between LG and Samsung with my current personal phone being a LG V20. I have a plan that allows me to upgrade ever 6 months if I so choose so I'm not getting rid of that option anytime soon. They just recently got rid of that option for new comers but I'm grandfathered in so being I'm a bit of a phone whore it works for me. :)
I was ready to spring for the Pixel XL but it looks as though it's a wait and see for now.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ianmor...etting-a-totally-unusable-phone/#17d7601852db

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Last edited:

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok, now put on a ski helmet with goggles and try it

As I expected, it didn't work. It does work with the helmet on and goggles propped up on the brim so the frame of the helmet around my face doesn't affect FaceID. I'll dig out my clear lens and see if that has any effect. I was trying it with a yellow sensor mirror and I'm pretty sure it can't see through to my eyes. and that's why it fails.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I just took my 7 out of it;s case to do something. I forgot how thin it is. It would be so nice to be able to use the phone w/o the case but I am deathy afraid of even the slightest mishap.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was ready to spring for the Pixel XL but it looks as though it's a wait and see for now.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ianmor...etting-a-totally-unusable-phone/#17d7601852db

It's worth noting most issues are with the larger Pixel 2 XL and not the smaller Pixel 2. The smaller Pixel 2 is made by a different contract manufacturer and has a different screen. There are reports of funny noises coming from the smaller Pixel 2, but I haven't heard any from mine.

As with any new product, it's always safest to wait a few months for reviews and user reports after actual use. I jumped in early so I'd have a better camera for the holidays.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I just took my 7 out of it;s case to do something. I forgot how thin it is. It would be so nice to be able to use the phone w/o the case but I am deathy afraid of even the slightest mishap.

Yep. I used mine with a case for a year. Took it off and really liked the feel so kept it off...in a few weeks I damaged the screen. Did a DIY repair and in a few days damaged that screen as well... :doh:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I'll cross my fingers that I don't jinx myself, but I've never broken a screen on a phone. Heck, I haven't lost one yet, either. I use a Gorilla Glass screen protector and an Otter Box on my Samsung and have broken both, but not the phone or the screen.

20171104_120954_Huckleberry Grn.jpg

20171104_121008_Huckleberry Grn.jpg

I can't take a picture of the broken screen protector without a mirror some I'm passing on that. ogsmile

BTW, the Scosche magnetic phone holder (the plate is seen on the back of the Otter Box) for the car is a great device.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll cross my fingers that I don't jinx myself, but I've never broken a screen on a phone. Heck, I haven't lost one yet, either. I use a Gorilla Glass screen protector and an Otter Box on my Samsung and have broken both, but not the phone or the screen.

View attachment 32549

View attachment 32548

I can't take a picture of the broken screen protector without a mirror some I'm passing on that. ogsmile

BTW, the Scosche magnetic phone holder (the plate is seen on the back of the Otter Box) for the car is a great device.
Yeah well that's a Samsung phone. Apple keeps track of how many times you've replaced your screen and if you're under the curve their software knocks it out of your hand and cracks the screen.

Other income makes analysts happy.

Sponsor

Staff online