• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
Was on the same fence as OP. I have the 6+, could've upgraded a while back but didn't and now it's almost paid off. Since it works fine, I'm not motivated to spend money for an 8+ now. Plus I want the headphone jack, for now anyways.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I understand what you're saying, and when I recently priced out a new Macbook Pro I nearly fainted, but they're in business to make money and the market supports their pricing. I don't enjoy paying them so much but their products truly make my life easier.

I was a long time PC user and started out with an Android phone before switching to Apple in 2007 and the iPhone 4s when it came out. Any time I think back to my frustrations with my Dell or Droid I feel much better about giving my money to Apple.

I hear you! I was a long time hold out against Apple and was using a PC for 25 years . I bought my first Macbook in 2012 and for the first 3 months I hated it! Now, I would not change back. And while the MacBooks seem expensive, I have found that they simply work more reliably for longer. I never got more than 2 years out of a PC laptop but my current MacBook air is now at 4.5 years and still going strong. And it gets put through a lot for business and personal use as well as a lot of time on the road. While it hurts me on principle to support Apple, the seamless integration and reliability makes my life a lot easier!.

I was planning on holding out on replacing my 4 y/o iPhone 5s till the 8 came out. But a couple of months ago, T-mobile offered the iPhone 7 @ $300 with trading in my 5s. i couldn't pass up that deal to pay ~$1000 for the 8 or the X! Actually very pleased with the 7. Definitely a big improvement over the 5. I didn't go for the plus as frankly, for me, they are too big to comfortably fit in my hand or pocket and, if I wanted to hold one that size to my ear for a phone call, I would just use my iPad!! :roflmao:

Only issue I have found so far is that the Otterbox defender case i got for the 7 is, unfortunately, crap! It gave me all sorts of issues not recognizing touch ID and not working well through the front screen so i had to abandon it (It also increased the physical size of the phone more than I liked. Disappointing as I used a similar Otterbox case successfully on my 5!. So, looking for a new case for the 7, that provides a decent degree of protection but which doesn't compromise the functionality. Any recommendations?

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Responding from a 6 plus with a wallet like case, no screen protector or waterproof case.
The thing resides in my pocket 24/7 in harsh dusty extreme conditions. I've worn out two wallet cases, two charging plugs and replaced one screen and the thing is still ready to go all day every day after I clean out the pocket lint and sawdust from the day before.
Check out Louis C.Ks skit, Cell phones and flying
" the Shittiiest Cell Phone in the world is a Miracle "

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone else preorder? I was up at 3:00 am and got a space gray 256gb. Delivery on launch day!! With the pre-approval for the Upgrade Program it took me less than 30 seconds to finish via the Apple store app on my iPhone. My friend ordered his about 6:00 am and got a ship date of mid-November.

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
I've bought technology long enough to let everyone else be the Beta testers and wait a few months to let them sort out the kinks. Then I discipline myself to wait at least two cycles between upgrades for phones, cameras, computers....

Unless something weird happens.

I've had the Otterbox and Lifeproof cases and sometimes I fear they add so much bulk and clumsiness that you drop the phone more. I like a simple wrap case like the Magpul, as the screens are pretty tough. But I don't abuse them like my kids do... dropping them in toilets, leaving them on store shelves, going through 3-4 beater phones per year, they're ridiculous.

I went from a 5 to a 7-plus and love it, I don't need a tablet anymore and the camera is great. I'm a big guy and my clothes have large pockets so carrying isn't a problem.

I sure as Heck wouldn't pre-order a X and I'm rather glad I'm not stuck having to buy an 8 when they already announced the X. Seems like cruel marketing on Apple's part, give us a clear path and distinct levels.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wife just went from a 6 to the 8. She started having battery life issues with the 6 after upgrading to 11.0.3. Coincidence? I'm still on the 6 and see no reason to upgrade. Body Glove case for me.

Neither of us are using wireless charging. There is some discussion on it's efficiency with the 8. If you care if it's supported by Apple then that is another discussion.
The battery on my 6 went south at the time of the software change. Enjoy your new I-phones folks but I'm done buying Apple products. Just too much bs. Heading to the Google phone. I have a newer MacBook and I'm still making the change. I'm willing to workaround integration issues.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I am a 6+ owner and I love the large screen. Initially, I thought it would be too big for my pockets, but it has fit everywhere I have needed it to. I won't upgrade yet. I will check my Apple contract and upgrade when the time is right. Soon, I think, but not yet. I won't go smaller though.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
To me the only Apple phone worth buying is the X, you get the big screen in a small body package and to me that is worth the ca. $200 premium

The big dilemma with Apple is that iPhones used to just work and be the best devices at premium prices. Nowadays Apple is falling behind in things that matter, such as AI and cloud services. ICloud started as a mess and remains a mess. What matters to me is Siri, as I drive a lot and I would like to use my phone in the car over voice control. Siri is usually pathetic, I hardly ever can send a text message on a first try. I also have an old Nexus phone and while it is no iPhone in build quality, it is significantly more reliable in many areas. Touch ID- on the Nexus I set it once, and it still works, I had to reset it on my iPhone three times in that span. Google Assistant beats the pants off Siri any day. The new Android system feels better than IOS 11, better notification, more visual consistency and it seems faster. And that is on an old Nexus phone that was a budget device to begin with. Apple camera is good, but they have consistently been beaten by Samsung and Pixel phones lately. And of course having Google Maps to be a default mapping app is the cherry on the cake.

I think we are starting to see the repeat of the old Apple-MS story. Apple started by having the best hardware and software, then PCs learned how to offer the same functionality at much lower price, and at some point Windows became clearly better than the crash prone disaster MacOS9 was, and Apple’s beige towers just looked plain ugly next to slick black Dells. Times changed, but the history repeats itself. The gap in AI between Google and Apple is probably unbridgeable at this point. Apples marketing about how amazing their new features are is quite annoying, most of them we have seen in other devices a year ago or more.

I may still buy an iPhone x because the hardware is pretty cool, I really want a big screen in a small package, and all my family is on iPhone ecosystem. But that Pixel phone looks tempting, especially if voice control and speech recognition works well in the car. Did I mention having google maps as a default mapping app?

Cases: Power Support for plastic cases, thinnest, clearest and so far amazingly protective cases. Made in Japan and it shows. Tech21 is you still don’t trust polycarbonate shells. Leather cases: Vaja. Expensive and a bit bulky, but it is the only leather that truly lasts.

Last edited:

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
Well that backward, failing company’s stock in this backward, failing country is paying for a lot of descretionary skiing!

I want to minimize my Google footprint and switched to an alternative search engine “that doesn’t track you”. Unfortunately it doesn’t work as well either.

While we’re talking tech in a ski forum here’s a tip: don’t upgrade to Apple’s High Sierra for Mac OS yet. I foolishly broke my own advice and am dealing with numerous bugs and incompatibilities.

Last edited:

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Well that backward, failing company’s stock in this backward, failing country is paying for a lot of descretionary skiing! . . .
While we’re talking tech in a ski forum here’s a tip: don’t upgrade to Apple’s High Sierra for Mac OS yet. I foolishly broke my own advice and am dealing with numerous bugs and incompatibilities.

Yeah — Apple's the backbone of my IRA. I bought at $10. If I'd have spent real money (which I didn't have), I'd be skiing during the week now and renting condos in Aspen.

High Sierra I've put off because I don't want to buy a new Office package. Endless hassles might come with that, and I'm a little worried about my oldest Word files.

I've owned Macs since 1985, not many, because they last (and I'm not made money. IRA contributions aside). I've never owned a PC, though I've used them (reluctantly) from time to time at work. I just bought my second MacBook Pro (I had two Powerbooks before that) at an eye-watering price, but as Scotskier mentioned, they work at least twice or three times as long as a PC laptop. My colleagues at school cycle through PCs at an alarming rate — like parents of 19th century children, they can't get too affectionate.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
All of the phones, like cell services (which all suck differently) , all have their downfalls from an app here or integration there and we all have our own needs. For me, @ScotsSkier and a few others said it best regarding the Apple products, for me they jsut work. Would I like Amazon on my AppleTV? Absolutely. Would I like the camera that the Samsung has? Yup. I am willing to give up a few things for everythung just seamlessly working together and no viruses or crashing issues.

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
so I did some research and I will go wit the 8. why? Purely size. I really like the X but its just wider and longer that I am concerned its going be an issue. I pretty much only wear Kuhl pants that have phone pockets on the side so it has to fit ( I can't stand putting a phone in any regular pockets) Plus I ride and ski with my phone and don't need anything larger. I think a X with a decent case and screen protection is going to be too large. I think the LifeProof X case is 3.25" which is .25" wider than the 8 in a LP case (3.") and I really think I can live without it. I did learn that going to a payment program makes sense; the phone payment is based off a interest free program and includes the upgrade ability so I can own the 8 for a year or so and then if I don't like I can upgrade.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’ve got the 6 and it’s close to 3years old and still running, when it starts to glich then I’ll replace it. The longer it lasts the more money in my pocket.

As to cases I like the Tech21.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
The one thing that can (and most likely will) still swing me over to the iPhone again is the Apple Store. It is nice to be able to bring in your phone for service and not deal with shipping it to and back.

The "just works" issue is complicated with Apple nowadays. Even though a lot of people's hardware is Apple-made, the online life increasingly happens at Google. GMail, Google Calendar, GooglePhotos, and GoogleDrive/Docs infrastructure are dominant. So, actually there is a fairly strong case that an Android phone will "just work" with your digital life.

If things go the way they go now, I feel that for Apple the writing may be on the wall by the next upgrade cycle. They made a huge mistake by ignoring AI and cloud and allowing Google to gobble up most of the AI talent in silicon valley. When the biggest software feature in your announcement is an animated turd, you know you are in trouble...

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The one thing that can (and most likely will) still swing me over to the iPhone again is the Apple Store. It is nice to be able to bring in your phone for service and not deal with shipping it to and back.

The "just works" issue is complicated with Apple nowadays. Even though a lot of people's hardware is Apple-made, the online life increasingly happens at Google. GMail, Google Calendar, GooglePhotos, and GoogleDrive/Docs infrastructure are dominant. So, actually there is a fairly strong case that an Android phone will "just work" with your digital life.

If things go the way they go now, I feel that for Apple the writing may be on the wall by the next upgrade cycle. They made a huge mistake by ignoring AI and cloud and allowing Google to gobble up most of the AI talent in silicon valley. When the biggest software feature in your announcement is an animated turd, you know you are in trouble...

Maybe, i’m misunderdtanding your point, but I can access my google drive, my google classroom, etc. just fine on my iPhone 6. I rarely even pull out my school district supplied Dell laptop. I choose to use my iPhone.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm on board for the Pixel 2XL. I'm going for it. I'm giving Apple the rear view. I'll take functional AI over integration and I'm betting on Google's future more than Apple's.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
A few weeks ago, I dropped my 5s and broke the screen, phone still worked fine. The new Apple phones were announced, so, I did some research and thinking maybe it is time to upgrade. Then again, I am a very basic user, my past upgrades were nice but never wow-ed me in terms of actual performance. As my 5s does support voice recognition, this fills a major requirement as keyboard texting just sucks when you can not read. Like Ron, I want a small phone as it is just much easier to carry. Plus,as I only need glasses for reading, I phone use is mostly limited to phone aspects.
So, for me, an upgrade has minimal appeal. I paid the $80 to have a new screen installed, it took less than 15 minutes. I am happy, and, will keep it until it does not work.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

This is why I stick with my Android. Plus, I'm used to it. I had an iphone for awhile about two years ago (borrowed one when mine went through a wash cycle) and it was just different enough that I was frustrated, but not superior in any way, so why switch? I've witnessed my boyfriend's 6s giving him enough grief (including the battery life issue since the upgrade) that I'm not convinced they are any better than an Android. He did upgrade to the 8, and the battery life is much better. All the new technology, no matter who puts it out, is impressive.

Hasn't this debate been around for something like 30 years? PC vs. Mac? You like this, I like that? Cheers! Let's go ski! :beercheer:

Sponsor