• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Mrs. 53 had an iPhone 6 and had always struggled with it. I have a 7 and mine works great. She finally got frustrated enough from mine working and hers not working when we were sitting right next to each other (I know that is WEIRD). So off she went to get an 8. WOW, huge difference! We live in a marginal area for T-Mobile and the 7 and up have a different/better reception system/frequency and now her 8 works great at the house too. Typically we have great service as the T-Mobile phones are wifi compatible, but when our wifi would go out for whatever reason the 6 just sucked.

So, the 8 will be a big upgrade over the 6 from our experience.

Reactions: Ron

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Tricia has a 6s and I have a 7, there is nothing on the 8 that makes it enough that we see that we need to upgrade, we are both a year out at least, and that that point the X will drop when the XI is released. As far as the price tag of $1K, much of that is sticker shock, the phones have already been $700 plus and $1K depending on memory but it was broken down over 24 or 30 months depending on plans.

Because I am using my phone for so many other thigs like photos and video, I am seriously thinking of getting the Plus at that point. Oh and I have had a case like that Speck and really liked it.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Payment plans = interest on top of principle so that makes it even more egregiously expensive :) I am actually more concerned with the size of the X as well. I think the added features of the camera are pretty cool though.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
6 plus here with maximum memory and has a bigger battery

I had to laugh when the young kid salesman told me most people return the phone because it's too big ? I told him when I was his age the same computing power would take up his apartment !

After signing up for Spotify last weekend and downloading more than 150 albums, it didn't make a dent in the storage.
Fits in my vest pocket for the ski day running tunes, emails and calls and still has battery left at night.

If you're in eligible for an upgrade chances are you are already out of contract and are saving money. In our case with Verizon the minute a new phone Is purchased your contract renews plus the cost of the new phone both increasing your monthly.

Never got over the whole headphone jack being taken out even know all my stuff is now Bluetooth

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a 7 with a case on it. I just can't imagine not damaging a phone without a case. I have the one linked below. I do have a Lifeproof for when I'm doing things that are more likely to cause damage (mountain biking). I'm not up for a new phone for 16 months so I won't be upgrading for awhile. Right now my company's standard is the 7 but I imagine by then they'll move up to the 8 if not the X along with moving me over to ATT from Verizon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KW9NCM6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: Ron

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I currently have the 7 Plus 256GB and had the 6 Plus before that. I'll be pre-ordering, or trying to pre-order, the X 256GB on Friday. I'm in the Apple Upgrade Program so I update every year now. I use my phone constantly for both work and personal and the extra screen size and battery life of the Plus has always been worth the premium.

What I'm really excited about is the X having the same size screen as the Plus but in a physically smaller footprint.

I have used the Speck Grip cases for the last two phones and have liked them enough that I ordered another for the X.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
my golden rule is that the phone must fit into my Kuhl pant phone pocket.

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
I upgraded from a 6 to an 8 recently. I've got a cheap case on it, I drop them once in awhile. It runs great and is quite a bit faster than the 6, the 6 was fine though. I gave it to my son since it was his birthday.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I have a 7 with a case on it. I just can't imagine not damaging a phone without a case. I have the one linked below. I do have a Lifeproof for when I'm doing things that are more likely to cause damage (mountain biking). I'm not up for a new phone for 16 months so I won't be upgrading for awhile. Right now my company's standard is the 7 but I imagine by then they'll move up to the 8 if not the X along with moving me over to ATT from Verizon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KW9NCM6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

any idea if that case can be used for wireless charging?

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wife just went from a 6 to the 8. She started having battery life issues with the 6 after upgrading to 11.0.3. Coincidence? I'm still on the 6 and see no reason to upgrade. Body Glove case for me.

Neither of us are using wireless charging. There is some discussion on it's efficiency with the 8. If you care if it's supported by Apple then that is another discussion.

Last edited:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
As you are asking about an upgrade from the 6 and blanching at the $1000 price what about freeing yourself from ios tyranny? - Samsung S7 & Edge have dropped to pretty affordable over here.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
As you are asking about an upgrade from the 6 and blanching at the $1000 price what about freeing yourself from ios tyranny? - Samsung S7 & Edge have dropped to pretty affordable over here.

LOL, I like the tyranny of a product that works.. :)

seriously though, iOS integrates into my macbook and Ipad so pictures, movies, notes, email, texts and music is all shared by the same devices making life so much easier. once you have all of your data available without having to move it around you wont go back., AND, it works.

Last edited:

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
I have the 6S and it’s fine although I would like to go to the plus size since I read a lot on my phone, probably in a 7 but was considering the 8. Maybe it’s iPhone fatigue but I don’t see anything in the new phones that would make that big a difference, then a great pro deal came along on a pair of 2018 Head iRally skis, and like any other skiing related shiny object I forgot about the phone...

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Yeah - and Apple can keep jacking the price ad infinitum because of that captivity. It's a great business model but one that I very consciously don't want to support.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Although I don’t like supporting Apple, as mentioned above, I like the way my iPhone interacts with my iPad. I do not use a computer.

I have been using PLUS sized iPhones since they came out. I loved the larger screen AND the longer lasting battery. But....

My current car has a center console that has wireless charging (automatic for Android but works with a certain GM/Apple phone case), but the plus sized phone does not fit. When I get a new phone (no time soon), I will get an X but not the plus due to the wireless charging in my car. The X screen should be similar to the 6, 7, and 8 Plus screen sizes

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wife just went from a 6 to the 8. She started having battery life issues with the 6 after upgrading to 11.0.3. Coincidence? I'm still on the 6 and see no reason to upgrade. Body Glove case for me.

Neither of us are using wireless charging. There is some discussion on it's efficiency with the 8. If you care if it's supported by Apple then that is another discussion.
I had my battery replaced on the 6S for a recall. They were having drop issues with a batch of batteries(within a serial # range) Mine was one of them.
Phil never had an issue with his.
I still like my 6S after two years and don't intend on upgrading unless something happens to my phone.
Like this incident with Phil's phone last year.(which is why he has the 7)
14125606_10154297990656138_3037494733028123171_o.jpg

Note: the pugski.com sticker remained in tact
14095848_10157224704895018_7170257038419293974_n.jpg

Phil's OP of the original incident:
I have to question the durability of the iPhone 6S. It cannot handle flying off of a car at 80MPH only to be run over by at least 3 dozen cars and 18 wheelers. Thankfully, the SIM card DID survive and went into my old iPhone 5...so I have that going for me.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah - and Apple can keep jacking the price ad infinitum because of that captivity. It's a great business model but one that I very consciously don't want to support.

I understand what you're saying, and when I recently priced out a new Macbook Pro I nearly fainted, but they're in business to make money and the market supports their pricing. I don't enjoy paying them so much but their products truly make my life easier.

I was a long time PC user and started out with an Android phone before switching to Apple in 2007 and the iPhone 4s when it came out. Any time I think back to my frustrations with my Dell or Droid I feel much better about giving my money to Apple.