• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
The guy who invented the Snurfer and had Jake Burton Carpenter later develop a better one, has died.

2E4406E9-DF8A-4D4D-91D9-A5B1022428C4.jpeg

Rocky Mountain News

From NY Times:
—————-
It was Christmas Day 1965, and he was at home in Muskegon when his pregnant wife, Nancy, implored him to go outside and entertain their rambunctious daughters, Wendy, 10, and Laurie, 5.

“You can imagine — it’s Christmas, and my wife is pretty uptight, and she said, ‘Sherman, you’ve got to take these kids out of the house,’ ” he recalled in 2009 in an interview with Steamboat Pilot & Today, a newspaper in Steamboat Springs, Col. “And we were having a huge snowstorm on the shores of Lake Michigan.”

He first took out a sled, but its blades cut through the snow and got stuck in the sand beneath.

Then he spotted Wendy’s child-size skis. Envisioning the dunes as surfable waves, he created a surfable board by bracing the skis with wooden cross bars.

His daughters caught on quickly, and soon so did their friends, who wanted to try it themselves. His wife — who gave birth to a third daughter, Julie, three days after Christmas — thought up a name for the board: the Snurfer, a contraction of “snow” and “surfer.”
The enthusiastic reception the board received prompted him to make improvements. He made a second version from a single water ski that had foot grips, then added a tether to the nose of the board to help the rider steer it.
—————-
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/09/sports/sherm-poppen-dead.html

Reactions: Ron

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Learned how to float on snow by leaning back and pulling on the rope. Been in mourning the past two weeks. Snurf in Peace Sherman.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I had one and had a blast with it. After dinner during the winter we went to our personal little hill and built ski jumps and snurfred. We had a group of about 20 who played every night on that hill. It was 1966 and I was 11.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
This was so sad when the news broke.
He invented the Snurfer and made them 30 miles from our home. We used them on snow, grass, dunes and anything we thought would work! We even added straps so they'd stay on our feet over jumps long before Jake Burton did. He just did it better.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah. I had one as a kid. Lots of fun. And I STILL had it until ten or twelve years ago when my son left it out in the yard during a snowstorm. When it was discovered in April it was ruined. Oh well. Can't take it with you.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Snurfers were my first exposure to snow sports. as a kid (I'm guessing 10 or so) I bought the yellow one at a garage sale and got immediately hooked that winter. I then bought the wood one at another garage sale (huge upgrade :) ) I remember building a ramp and jumping off it (probably 2 feet of air LOL) and in a ice storm ended up getting knocked out on a bad landing. My mom took my surfers away. I still want one to hang on a wall. For some reason I have a deep love for that thing. Sherman lived here in steamboat for some time.

if anyone has one for sale, let me know.

Here's another article on him:
https://www.steamboatpilot.com/news/sherman-poppen/

Sponsor