• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Intuition Liner Molding Question

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I haven’t molded a set of these in a while. So I need some clarity of the footbed step as I’ve received several bits of conflicting info.

Option #1: after heating liner, slip footbed into liner, then insert foot (toecap inside sock), wrap liner around foot and slide into shell.

Option #2: assemble footbed inside sock with the toecap, then insert foot into heated liner, then slip whole thing into shell

Option #3: after heating the liner, insert footbed, insert liner w/ footbed into shell, then insert foot (toecap inside sock)

Is the use of a shopping bag still suggested to ease the liner into the shell?

Last edited:

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I use method #3 and it works well. I would think that method #1 would work just as well. Method #2 differs too much from actual use (in my opinion).

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
The plastic vegetable bag over the sock taped on works great for easy slide into the liner. Recommend.

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
The plastic vegetable bag over the sock taped on works great for easy slide into the liner. Recommend.
Oh ya, make sure the bag is the thinnest kind, and there is no lumps in it. 1 wrap of tape to hold it up and tight.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Have done 2 and 3. Prefer 2 if you have access (shop) with a boot spreader of some sort. It's difficult to angle into the boot with the hard footbed inside the sock, assuming it's not a stock bed.

Personal prefrence but I do no toe cap. I like my toes packed down tight so would rather break it in naturally.

TS
E

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Thanks for the feedback y’all. This will be interesting to compare these to my BD Foam liners which I loved. Worst case the Intuitions go in the trash and I’ll have another set of BD’s made.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the feedback y’all. This will be interesting to compare these to my BD Foam liners which I loved. Worst case the Intuitions go in the trash and I’ll have another set of BD’s made.
Good luck finding a BD liner, they’ve been out of the boot business for a few years.

If your talking about touring boots, I’d suggest that you’ll really want a toe cap.

TS
E

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Good luck finding a BD liner, they’ve been out of the boot business for a few years.

If your talking about touring boots, I’d suggest that you’ll really want a toe cap.

Boot Doc liners are not a problem to get. I should have written it out vs abbreviated to prevent confusion.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I haven’t molded a set of these in a while. So I need some clarity of the footbed step as I’ve received several bits of conflicting info.

Option #1: after heating liner, slip footbed into liner, then insert foot (toecap inside sock), wrap liner around foot and slide into shell.

This. Without exception in my experience doing many of these. Some boots may need a plastic bag over the liner before putting the liner and foot into the shell.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Personal prefrence but I do no toe cap. I like my toes packed down tight so would rather break it in naturally.

This may work for you, but it DOES NOT work for most people when fitting intuition liners.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Toe caps are critical but need to be done right. I molded a waterski liner without a toe cap. Loved the feel but ended up with a sore foot. I never got enough packed out room despite lots of hours. Remolded them with the toe cap and solved the problem. But might have put too big a toe cap in for the remolding as the feel was too loose. Note, I made my own toe cap and was trying for lots of room to solve the foot problem and went too far. I ended up getting used to the toe room (and comfort) and am still skiing that liner.

Regarding the process, as long as you work quickly and position everything properly, it doesn't matter how you get there. My waterski footbed is only half the foot length so having a sharp mold line holds it in place better - so no sock to help position it to my foot, I just have to get it right.

Eric

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Toe caps are critical but need to be done right. I molded a waterski liner without a toe cap. Loved the feel but ended up with a sore foot. I never got enough packed out room despite lots of hours. Remolded them with the toe cap and solved the problem. But might have put too big a toe cap in for the remolding as the feel was too loose. Note, I made my own toe cap and was trying for lots of room to solve the foot problem and went too far. I ended up getting used to the toe room (and comfort) and am still skiing that liner.

Regarding the process, as long as you work quickly and position everything properly, it doesn't matter how you get there. My waterski footbed is only half the foot length so having a sharp mold line holds it in place better - so no sock to help position it to my foot, I just have to get it right.

Eric

Like I said just a personal preference.. I've done 5 intuition liners in the past 7 years or so and done 3 with cap and 2 without. I just don't like the pocket it creates.

Sponsor

Staff online