• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Introduction: 2020 K2 Mindbender Collection

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There is a new guard at K2, and the upcoming 2020 Mindbender series contains the skis that these guys have been dying to make. Just as you have to do your chores before playtime or eat your veggies before dessert, K2’s designers had to revamp their technical Charger and all-mountain Ikonic collections before they could build the skis they really wanted to: the Mindbenders.

Yes, "all new" is overused, but even the name "Mindbender" is a complete departure from what you would expect from K2; it sounds more like something from Line, K2’s sister company. K2 has been churning to the beat of a different drummer for the past couple of years, however, and the Mindbender is a big "eff you" to anyone who thinks K2 was through. As we have been saying, the skis K2 has been building of late are not, no way in hell, your Uncle Carl’s Recons, Annexes, or even Pinnacles.

Let's start with the ski that I have been skiing for the past month or so, the Mindbender 99Ti. It is truly a revolution, a ski that will take on the 98-100mm segment like a bull in a china shop. A ski like the Mindbender 99Ti comes around every couple of years. Every design team plans to produce one, but most don’t get that last bit to differentiate the ski from the rest of the class. I may sound like I've been drinking the K2 Kool-Aid, but don’t just listen to me, the accolades will be global. While we were testing early protos last year, the testers (not K2 employees) were not allowed to share any opinions, but as we looked around at each other, it was all we could do not to smile (needless to say, we aren’t good poker players).

My Preview, which you can read HERE, will be turning into a Long-Term Review.

Technology
Titanal Y-Beam
Our first tech solution is Titanal Y-Beam, which could be billed as "business in the front, party in the back." With strategically designed Titanal geometry, the Y-Beam tunes torsional flex without affecting longitudinal flex. This delivers the highest level of precision and stability in a damp, stable platform. The strength of the ski is to initiate the turn with power, and then let you choose what to do with that power. You can power into the turn, and the Y-Beam will allow you to keep that power or release it.

Titanal Y-Beam can be found in the Mindbender 108Ti, 99Ti, and 90Ti and the Alliance 98Ti and 88Ti.

Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 7.57.36 PM.png

Carbon Spectral Braid
A variable angle carbon fiber laminate allows the torsional and longitudinal stiffness to be adjusted independently. This construction keeps skis lighter and more playful for conditions when power and damping are less important.

Carbon Spectral Braid can be found in the Mindbender 116C, 90C, and 85C and the Alliance 115C, 106C, 90C, and 85C.

Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 7.04.40 PM.png

Available for purchase now:

Mindbender 108Ti.png

Mindbender 108Ti
136-108-125
22.9m@186cm

Mindbender 99Ti.png

Mindbender 99Ti
138-99-123
18.5m@184cm

Mindbender 90Ti.png

Mindbender 90Ti
127-90-114
17.9m@184cm
And for the ladies...

Mindbender 98Ti Alliance.png

Mindbender 98Ti Alliance
134-98-120
15.6m@168cm

Mindbender 88Ti Alliance.png

Mindbender 88Ti Alliance
125-88-112
14.7m@170cm​

The rest of the collection will be available for a fall release.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Stoked!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How do they ski compare to the Nordica Enforcer series?
More playful with a sharper turn in. I think the flex is a bit more balanced. The longer wheelbase (because if less rise) has a more stable feel. If you to relax on the ski, the Nordica pivots better, the Mindbender wants to charge a bit more but is not demanding like say a Bonafide.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Iwillnotbuywithoutdemoingfirst...iwillnotbuywithoutdemoingfirst...
The 88ti Alliance. I'm ready for something chargier than my Black Pearls, but not a stiff Volkl feel, and not an entire 2 sheets of metal. Plus 163 is my happy length for all-mountain. Is this the ski I've been waiting for??

CanIwaituntilFebruary21???

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
OK, so K2 has finally jumped on the Bonafide/Enforcer/FX95 bandwagon... Looks like a cross of the Nordica tip with a Kastle FX tail. The proof is of course in how they ski.

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
Curious about the 108 for those who have skied them and comparisons to other skis in the same width range like the Blizzard Rustler/Black Crowes Atris etc.

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
Do we know they weights of these. I heard that he 99ti was the heaviest of the lineup - but no comps to others in the 100 class like Enforcer, Bones Kastle.

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
The 116 & 108 graphics are spot on. The rest not so much (the red one is nice). Seems like they lost their creative nerve regarding graphics with their meat of the market skis. Also possible that they look better in real life.

James

Out There
Instructor
OK, so K2 has finally jumped on the Bonafide/Enforcer/FX95 bandwagon... Looks like a cross of the Nordica tip with a Kastle FX tail. The proof is of course in how they ski.
The Bonafide at this point seems to be nearly forgotten, but still a very nice ski esp for those who like edge angles. An ex college racer I know will likely get that in 180 for east some wedt over the Enforcer 93, Enforcer 100, E104 (2020), Kore93, Rustler9, Atomic 97 Van ti 180/187

Glad K2 didn't try to make a fatter Ikon. Only like ex wcup Americans would want it.

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
This line just got K2 on my Radar...

:golfclap: to all who had their hands on designing these skis. (that includes the graphics which I really like)

Now, I neeeeed to demo that 99...

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
The Bonafide at this point seems to be nearly forgotten, but still a very nice ski esp for those who like edge angles. An ex college racer I know will likely get that over the Enforcer 93, Enforcer 100 Kore93, Rustler9, Atomic 97 Van ti.

Glad K2 didn't try to make a fatter Ikon. Only like ex wcup Americans would want it.

I hear ya on the Bonafides. I love my Bones (2016) with the carbon tips - but as I get a bit older I have been looking for a less demanding ski that can still charge and bust crud. Never got on with the Enforcers - good ski but never thought they stood out in anything. Maybe K2 has jumped the pack for me to review!! Hope they are at our MegaDemo at Schweitzer this spring.

WheatKing

Ice coast carveaholic
Skier
I've been looking for a carvey smeary ski and have absolutely no use for a 99 but my interest is piqued.. as a K2 fan (still have the only turbo chargers i've ever seen on the slopes.. why don't more people ski these?) I was hesitantely looking at the pinnacle.. but they weren't what I think i want.. Be interesting to hear what the 90 without the metal is like.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I hear ya on the Bonafides. I love my Bones (2016) with the carbon tips - but as I get a bit older I have been looking for a less demanding ski that can still charge and bust crud. Never got on with the Enforcers - good ski but never thought they stood out in anything. Maybe K2 has jumped the pack for me to review!! Hope they are at our MegaDemo at Schweitzer this spring.

Honestly every single time I go to a demo I take a few runs on a 187cm Bonafide and it always puts a smile on my face.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January