• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Dad

reducing mountain town property values
Skier
@Tricia if you go back a couple of posts, I was talking about KSL opening Alpine later than Squaw and not running Alpine late into Spring even though Alpine does not require transport lifts and often has better early season and Spring conditions.

I absolutely agree that Alpine Meadows for early/late season has its advantages and it definitely is disheartening to those who are long time AM skiers who've missed those early/late dates.

On the other hand, the activities in the village at Squaw and the ability to broadcast a broader net of patrons makes more sense from a business standpoint and certainly has its benefits. They weren't lacking for skiers and other vacationers last summer leading up to their closing date.

And of course, the ability to sell those products and services in the Squaw village. (And I've heard well-sourced rumors that the leases in the Village require greater rent in months when lifts are spinning.)

As an AM partisan, I'd personally be happy if they opened Squaw early season -- which has obvious promotional benefits when marketing to the destination vacation traveler -- and kept Alpine open later, when it's far cheaper to operate than Squaw. Turn Summit, pay for a couple of patrollers, clean the bathrooms, and maybe put a grill on the deck, and you're golden.

All that said, to paraphrase T-Swizzle: Capitalists gonna capitalize.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, if you live on the Front Range in CO, you are likely going to be looking at this in terms of what pass options will best fit you and your family's needs. Depending on where many of us live, that may well be a factor. But for the majority of he skiing public, Alterra is not going to be measuring success by pass sales. Will it be a "metric?" Sure.
It's worth noting Alterra's HQ is in Denver. Vail Resorts' HQ is also on the Front Range.

I'd think Alterra wants to have a good Front Range pass to recruit and retain talent against Vail.

What is Alterra's recruiting story? Are they hiring skiers or just employees that ski (or not)? Since the CEO started bumping chairs I really hope they create a company of skiers.

Winter Park is the only Front Range area owned by Alterra. They are dependant on Powdr Corp for the other front range areas on the IKON pass, Copper, and Eldora.

I-70 is a mess. Weekend skiing on the front range areas is increasingly difficult. The extra two hours or more to Steamboat and Aspen are intolerable for just a weekend trip. 9-5 M-F jobs at Alterra aren't going to be attractive to skiers. Maybe they don't care. I hope not.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I think Alterra is potentially an attractive career move to many. Both at the senior ranks, and a cut below. I'm hearing of people who are making serious career decisions, and figuring out how this positions them for their next jobs, down the road. Possibly with Alterra properties. I'm pretty sure that they realize that living in Denver is not necessarily what it was like even 5 years ago, and nobody is planning this with the immediate time on snow being a consideration. I-70 does suck. But if a move to Alterra HQ positions you to be in a VP level job at one of their properties at some point, all good. It also might be challenging, groundbreaking and fun. And the senior ranks should make out very well.

I'm under the impression that ideal hires have the whole package: ski experience {perhaps a great deal} and all of the professional "chops" and talent/smarts/drive. I know somebody who's been in a lot of discussion. They aren't looking for warm bodies. Nor are they looking for people who have the very typical "resort" or even gaming experience. The sense my friend has that if you can't completely grasp this game plan, and mission.....with some on snow and ski area/resort insight, you won't add much. Perhaps if you've spent time with Relais and Chateaux, or Four Seasons, that's different. Don't know. I think a number of Aspen SkiCo people will be headed to Denver. This is different and I sense they want real talent. No offense, probably not raiding Vail Resorts. They may be for some jobs.

I also think that the Alterra/Ikon offering in the Front Range and all of CO will be different than anywhere else. The market, numbers, concentration of people and areas is all different. And yeah, probably smart to have your people skiing at your properties!

Looking forward to seeing it all unfold.

Jully

Putting on skis
Skier
I-70 is a mess. Weekend skiing on the front range areas is increasingly difficult.

Speaking of the disaster of I70, I wonder if Alterra plans on focusing in on the train to WP as a way to differentiate itself from other front range resorts. If the Ikon pass were to encourage non I70/car transportation to mountains through buses or the train, that would be really interesting.

No idea if there's any money in it, but it would be a different approach.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
I really don't think the Ikon Pass offerings or pricing are influenced by employee recruitment/retention for Alterra's HQ. If they've got a potential recruit who will only come work for them if he or she gets unlimited skiing at all the front range areas, Alterra can buy that person season passes at all of them and it's still not going to add up to a very big chunk of that individual's total compensation.

Reactions: RJS

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is WP no longer owned by the city of Denver? I thought that was still the case when the coalition was first announced last year, and that what has come to be named Alterra would take over the operating agreement.
Yes, it's still owned by the City of Denver. Alterra (via Intrawest) is 15 years into a 50-year lease to operate WP, with an option to extend to 2078.

Westword, the Denver weekly, has a great WP history and profile of Gary DeFrange, the President of WP for the last 20 years:
http://www.westword.com/news/winter-park-how-denver-became-the-proud-owner-of-a-ski-area-8892964

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Speaking of the disaster of I70, I wonder if Alterra plans on focusing in on the train to WP as a way to differentiate itself from other front range resorts. If the Ikon pass were to encourage non I70/car transportation to mountains through buses or the train, that would be really interesting.

No idea if there's any money in it, but it would be a different approach.
No doubt and Alterra is all over it.

Last year, WP and CDOT made a $3.5M investment to bring the ski train back, primarily to build a heated concrete train platform at the resort that's ADA compliant. Last season was the first back and reportedly very successful. It runs on the weekend and can carry 500 passengers.

While every little bit helps, the ski train won't significantly impact the I-70 mess. It can, though, create an excellent experience for some 20,000+ Alterra customers. That's huge, and an enormous asset for WP and Alterra.

I hadn't thought of the ski train from the recruiting front. It could be huge. I just mapped the Alterra HQ and it's right across the street from Union Station in Denver, the sole ski-train departure point. Very smart.

I can see a great work hard, play hard recruiting story for skiers. Work M-F then ride the train to WP every weekend, day trip or stay in a corporate condo. Live in LoDo near work and Union Station, or if you have a family use your work parking to easily catch the ski train.

Sounds like a decent skier's life to me. Much better than working in Broomfield and driving to Vail, Breck or Keystone on the weekend.

The Dad

reducing mountain town property values
Skier
Yep. No blackouts pass is $899. $719 for seniors and teens, $199 for kids. That' s a serious shot across the Epic bow.

It's worth noting Alterra's HQ is in Denver. Vail Resorts' HQ is also on the Front Range.
I haven't heard whether CEO Rusty Gregory is relocating. If he isn't, that could be subject to change.

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
$899 is a pretty darn good deal and $199 for kids is a steal!

Agreed.

I just didn't want people going in search of something that didn't exist (the senior rate). The base pass fits my needs and then some. I really can't wait to see what Vail Resorts comes up with and what the new MCP looks like.

The dust on this hasn't settled yet !

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The MCP is the one I am most curious about. The Ikon simply doesn't make sense for me not living out west or in the east. The price point on the MCP has never left me short. Even when only used a few days it pays for itself. 900 bucks for the Ikon, given the amount of trips I can do and their length....well I can do better with Liftopia discounts. This is the only year that I could've made the Ikon a worthwhile purchase. There is no guarantee of what my schedule/work load will look like next year. The Ikon won't be an option for me for a few more years I fear. Now the MCP on the other hand..... well that has been my go to pass for a few seasons now. I really hope it doesn't get butchered. They really had a sweet lineup at an awesome price.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The MCP is the one I am most curious about. The Ikon simply doesn't make sense for me not living out west or in the east. The price point on the MCP has never left me short. Even when only used a few days it pays for itself. 900 bucks for the Ikon, given the amount of trips I can do and their length....well I can do better with Liftopia discounts. This is the only year that I could've made the Ikon a worthwhile purchase. There is no guarantee of what my schedule/work load will look like next year. The Ikon won't be an option for me for a few more years I fear. Now the MCP on the other hand..... well that has been my go to pass for a few seasons now. I really hope it doesn't get butchered. They really had a sweet lineup at an awesome price.
This is why they will still offer the MNC.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier

It's great there are so many options that make skiing affordable for everyone!