• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International Women's Day

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well, I missed International Women's day yesterday because I was out skiing and hanging with some amazing people, men and women alike, and I really don't get hung up on "international days of..." But at the end of the day when I saw some articles and news feeds talking about some of the amazing women who've influenced our lives, I thought about some of the amazing women who've influenced our skiing lives.

Some (0nly some) who've influenced me:
Jeannie Thoren - I've had some good conversations with her and though I've not always seen eye to eye with her everything, I love how she challenges me to think deeper about bootfitting for women.

Genia Fuller Crews - This woman was in the forefront of skiing freestyle and paved a way for women to do what they do today in the freestyle world.

Ingrid Backstrom - She has made a personal impression on me with how amazing she is from her skiing to her soul. If I can't ski like her, I can only hope to be 1/2 as nice as she is.

Susan Brown - Because when I first met her, I thought, wow she skis great, and she's nice too! If I get some good coaching and get out of my head games, maybe I can ski like that some day. It seemed like nothing fazed her and I wanted to be like that.

Linda Good - She was my mentor the year I taught skiing at Mt Rose. She is also the Docent at the Nevada Museum of Art and has taken me to the museum to share some of the amazing things I wouldn't otherwise know about. To this day, I do things in my skiing that are influenced by her.

I really just want to be the best version of me I can be, but these are just a few of the women in skiing that have influenced me.

Who has influenced your skiing, woman or man?

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I would say Jeannie too. I have never met her, but she did have a Canadian affiliate that come to our CSIA convention one year to do the talk.

Kathy Prophet and Maggie Graham. These are 2 CSIA 4 instructors from Mt. Tremblant. They have started a movement within the CSIA to get women certified at the higher levels. (we have 4 by the way, not just 3 like the PSIA). There are 2 Women's Edge Camps each year. It's a great week of skiing and learning.

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
Wendy, founder of TheSkiDiva.com. It's probably accurate to say that if I hadn't started posting on that site 11 years ago (!!), I never would have ended up leaving NYC and moving to Boulder.

Ingrid Backstrom, also -- badass skier and and one of the most genuinely nice people I've ever met, as @Tricia says.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Jenn Losch, who teaches at Breck. She is the rippingest female PSIA instructor I know. When you see a woman in instructor uniform ski like that - that's something you don't see every day.

So many women I have skied with at lesson club, who are much older than me and in some cases ski far more aggressively. Also taught me to look forward to getting older, because it looks like fun!

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I dont feel like my skiing has been influenced by anyone as much as it has been inspired by a few. Todd Ligare and Daron Rahlves the most lately, but people like Chris Anthony, Wendy Fisher, Eric Pehota, Davenport, Cody Townsend, Dan Treadway have been huge inspirations to me.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
My Dad.. he was a super skier and teacher, he got me started as a pip squeak, he took me to MRG/Stowe/and other Mts as a little kid while he did Ski Patrol Exams.
I thank him (in heaven) everyday I ski (and days I don't)

I'd also thank who ever got Title 9 thru and my coaches who allowed me to race in high school and college yes, on the Boy's/ Men's teams even though it pissed off a lot of guys getting beat by "a girl"

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Today is International Day of the Woman for 2019. So to all our female members have a wonderful day

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Today is International Day of the Woman for 2019. So to all our female members have a wonderful day
Awwww, thanks.

I'm on the road again, heading to Alta for The Art of Fear Camp.
Can't wait to meet Kristen Ulmer.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Ingrid Backstrom -- her skiing in Steep was amazing and made me want to ski like a girl.
Mermer Blakesley -- she inspired me to really rebuild my skiing from the ground up.
Jen Rupert (my ski buddy at Aspen) -- she pushes me to ski stuff I'd probably ski quite differently if I wasn't with her.
@Nancy Hummel -- I always enjoy skiing with her and she's a great person to ski with!

Mike

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Here's to all the awesome ladies I've skied with here on this forum and through facebook, friendships I will have forever. Special shout out to my supervisor Denise at Bromley who has taught me so much. She's a Level 2 and has some other professional certification, master teacher or something. Denise is my cruising buddy. We ski together and she's not a speed demon and has helped me realize that's it ok to not go mach schnel down the trail. Denise also makes these fabulous slow cooker meals to bring into the pro staff area so that we all have extra goodies to eat during the crazy times. Props also to the girlfriend of one of my supervisors at Bromley also a Denise. This Denise started skiing at age 62 and is on her second season so big cheers to her.

Last edited:

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My late wife Gwen, she passed away Nov 2017, who showed me the way skiing for 47 years. Grew up skiing out of Seattle where she received a document verifying her completion in a course of Arlberg Skiing. Raced in high school when the Seattle school she attended went to race meets as far away as Bigi Mountain, MT and Red Mtn., BC. Attended Colorado College and was allowed to race on the Mens team as they didn't have a women's team in the 1960's. As a young mother of 3 she started teaching skiing at Cooper Hill and eventually taught in 3 different states, earning a 30 year pin from the PSIA. Was a Masters Racer and also ran NASTAR courses when they were available, raced and won meals in two NASTAR Nationals. Became a USSA official and worked at many USSA events into her 70's. Still skied a full season in 2016-2017, as many days skied as her age. She influenced me in skiing -- and in many other ways.

Michael Kane

Kano
Skier
My daughter Boomer (aka Shana). No one has inspired me to be a better person than her.

10-22-16 (4x6) - (86).jpg

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My late wife Gwen, she passed away Nov 2017, who showed me the way skiing for 47 years. Grew up skiing out of Seattle where she received a document verifying her completion in a course of Arlberg Skiing. Raced in high school when the Seattle school she attended went to race meets as far away as Bigi Mountain, MT and Red Mtn., BC. Attended Colorado College and was allowed to race on the Mens team as they didn't have a women's team in the 1960's. As a young mother of 3 she started teaching skiing at Cooper Hill and eventually taught in 3 different states, earning a 30 year pin from the PSIA. Was a Masters Racer and also ran NASTAR courses when they were available, raced and won meals in two NASTAR Nationals. Became a USSA official and worked at many USSA events into her 70's. Still skied a full season in 2016-2017, as many days skied as her age. She influenced me in skiing -- and in many other ways.
Not much to say about her except WOW!
Thank you for spending some time skiing with me and Phil at Big Sky.

Sponsor