• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
I've done a fair bit of online research, but I am not clear on what potential duties I would have to pay, on top of shipping charges, if I were to order something from North America, such as from Corbetts.

Let's say I was to order a set of Pivot 14 Forza from Corbetts, where they are currently CA$209.99 (~GBP 120) ... would UK authorities demand I pay 20% VAT (24 GBP) as a duty to collect the parcel?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Probably best to consult the government page since it gets complicated. But yes, I would expect you'd have to pay some duty.

Looks to me like a duty of 2.5%, and looks like it's exempted from VAT, BUT you probably need to read all the VAT rules and notices:

1588779565493.png

I don't know what it's like in the UK, but here in the US, the amount actually charged from the courier, and whether anything is charged, seems to be somewhat variable - so the rules here seem to set the max, not what you're always charged. That's likely because there are a ton of different categories and rates, and it depends on how things are shipped and categorized.

TS
AlpedHuez

AlpedHuez

Skier
Probably best to consult the government page since it gets complicated. But yes, I would expect you'd have to pay some duty.

Looks to me like a duty of 2.5%, and looks like it's exempted from VAT, BUT you probably need to read all the VAT rules and notices:

View attachment 101732

I don't know what it's like in the UK, but here in the US, the amount actually charged from the courier, and whether anything is charged, seems to be somewhat variable - so the rules here seem to set the max, not what you're always charged. That's likely because there are a ton of different categories and rates, and it depends on how things are shipped and categorized.
Thanks. I was just looking at that page too. I had a PM about whether Commonwealth states had special arrangements. I didn't think I would get any deal in a Canada-to-UK transaction though. Corbetts is going to tell me how much their UK shipping is, so I will ask whether that includes any duty pre-payment.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
This is complicated and as mentioned best to consult the govt pages. For us we pay no duty on hubs, spokes and rims but we pay 30% on a wheel. So if you can build your own wheel you save money.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
In the UK there is duty and VAT, so you need to get the purchase under the deminimis value or expect that the courier will pay it all for you, add a surcharge on top and ask you to pay before they'll give you the goods. For this reason I don't buy from N America.

Quick google seems to suggest Ekosport have them in black for about £166 which feels like a better bet.

TS
AlpedHuez

AlpedHuez

Skier
Quick google seems to suggest Ekosport have them in black for about £166 which feels like a better bet.
I have to have them in Forza. B95 is out of stock everywhere, even when it shows up on initial search. My order with Speck Sports fell through - order was cancelled after they came back with out of stock. Depending on total price, another Euro outfit could still be better, but we shall see.

Last edited:

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If it's sent by mail, you will not have to pay anything

TS
AlpedHuez

AlpedHuez

Skier
Did some further searching and found some for reasonable price at Sport Conrad, in Germany. Good outfit -- I had got my Mach1s from them, last season. The display image shows black but description says Forza Orange. :daffy:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If the vat or whatever excise isnt paid upon purchase how are you required to pay?

Corbets wouldnt ship ski to the us last month. Sports condrad amd snowleader are good. I didnt see great European prices this year.

Sponsor

Staff online