• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
I don't know, years ago skiing with Bob Peters at Alta he stopped to help a woman wedge turning in a foot of cut up powder on an advanced trail. No huge fat skis as this was 2003. How she got there was beyond me as it was near the end and was no simple matter. It was def not intermediate terrain but not real steep.

At Big Sky in 2009 there were people wedge turning on fat skis in pow down one of the less steep Headwater chutes at Moonlight Basin. Still near 40deg.

Since Mikaela's zipper bump skills are questionable, like Bode's, they are merely advanced level skiers. Not expert. :rolleyes:.... :snowball:
I don’t know about your level 3 exam, but in RM wedge turns are a task that may be examined. The point is a wedge turn can be performed with edge, pressure, and rotational control that accesses ski performance, but that’s not intermediatie technique, it’s expert technique.

Yesterday we skied terrain that required falling leaf and pivot slips through an entrance to a couloir that was 50degrees and about 190cm wide — I was on a pair of 180s. I don’t think intermediate technique would’ve made it. And the consequence of a fall was pretty high — 1500 vertical feet of slope with rock bands and cliffs all over 40 degrees.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
How can someone not want to ski faster with higher g-forces and better control?

One of my own personal barriers to advancing is represented above. I didn't want to ski faster. So when I took lessons learning railroad tracks or basic intro to carving, I was not motivated to go further or really explore the idea more. When on edge, I felt increased acceleration and speed. I am 210lbs, so last thing I want is to go fast down the hill. The amount of damage I can cause is considerable. What I did not know then is getting comfortable on edge and using them appropriately can also bring more control in steeper terrain.

So I do think this is a barrier for some 'advanced intermediates'. They don't actually want to go fast. But when being introduced to carving (railroad tracks), speed happens. To train the feel of a locked edge, you may need to go pretty fast on greens before being able to apply that same sensation in a short turn on a blue while traveling at a slower speed.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I don’t know about your level 3 exam, but in RM wedge turns are a task that may be examined. The point is a wedge turn can be performed with edge, pressure, and rotational control that accesses ski performance, but that’s not intermediatie technique, it’s expert technique.

Yesterday we skied terrain that required falling leaf and pivot slips through an entrance to a couloir that was 50degrees and about 190cm wide — I was on a pair of 180s. I don’t think intermediate technique would’ve made it. And the consequence of a fall was pretty high — 1500 vertical feet of slope with rock bands and cliffs all over 40 degrees.

so you have less than 10cm of tip lead when across the hill?

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Just scanned this thread and I don't think that ski boots have been mentioned.

In my experience, it is rare for a true advanced level skier to be renting boots. A good fitting pair of boots is extremely helpful, perhaps even essential, for advanced level skiing. Rented boots and/or poorly fitting boots can handicap your skill development.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Just scanned this thread and I don't think that ski boots have been mentioned.

In my experience, it is rare for a true advanced level skier to be renting boots. A good fitting pair of boots is extremely helpful, perhaps even essential, for advanced level skiing. Rented boots and/or poorly fitting boots can handicap your skill development.
Improperly fitting and aligned boots are a big reason why a lot of beginners never take to the sport in my opinion.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Concave?

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
shaped like a half pipe. Mike do you have pictures?

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well lol I wasn't feeling so expert this morning but I couldn't feel my toes either. By the afternoon I think I linked some turns when I wanted to. But it wasn't the big colour. Nothing wrong with being an expert intermediate haha.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
shaped like a half pipe. Mike do you have pictures?
I skied it twice. The second time, I thought about pictures, but was focused on the task at hand. When we went in today, there were a large amount of tracks across the fall line and I thought it might have been they were packing it, but came to the realization that others had skied to the crux and decided to sidestep out. It was a long way uphill to get out,

The terrain at W/B is real and intense. More intense than anything I’ve skied at Jackson, Snowbird, Big Sky, or Highlands. That being said, I think a guide is really useful and, for some of these lines and entrances/exits, mandatory to avoid being cliffed out.

Mike

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
whats the run called?

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It would be great to start seeing some video examples illustrating some of points here. Any chance of that happening? I'd love to see what some consider to be intermediate and advanced intermediate.

James

Out There
Instructor
You'll have to elaborate. I'm not clear on exactly what you're trying to convey.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
whats the run called?
I don’t know — it’s the guide’s secret “heli run,” so named because it has untracked snow long after everything else. We skied it yesterday afternoon — the storm was the day before and they opened spankys at the end of that day. There were no tracks. We skied it again this afternoon and we had left the only tracks in it.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I always thought the big difference was one is sucking at a higher level than the other.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
You'll have to elaborate. I'm not clear on exactly what you're trying to convey.
There’s maneuvers that we associate with beginners or intermediates that may be executed at an expert level. The ability to manipulate and control edge starts to take one out of the intermediate zone into the advanced zone of skiing.

James

Out There
Instructor
There’s maneuvers that we associate with beginners or intermediates that may be executed at an expert level. The ability to manipulate and control edge starts to take one out of the intermediate zone into the advanced zone of skiing.
Yes, but how exactly is that related to Rocky Mt wedge turn examinations, assessments?

Status
Not open for further replies.