• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Zrxman01

Out on the slopes
Skier
Welcome fellow seeker of bumps!!!
My advise would be to get the best fitting boots you can afford.

Join a masters program that specializes in all mountain skiing IF they offer one (they are often taught by very knowledgeable freestyle coaches).

AND use ski poles that are a good 4 inches shorter than what you are used to! (Trust me on this one).

As for skis I have non FIS slaloms, Carvers, All mountain, and bump specific skis.

I have seen people rock the bumps on each of these.

Guess which ones work the best for me?!??
The 90 mm all mountains.

Bump often and enjoy!!!!

TS
D

dropd9

Booting up
Skier
Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm liking the idea of Kanjo, brahma CA, and xdr's. Don't know much about Kastle or DPS but certainly plan to explore further. !

Coolhand

Getting off the lift
Skier
Another option would be the Fischer Ranger 85 or 90. These fly way below the radar, but are great bump and tree skis.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Suggestions on this thread are all over the place to the extent one has to be suspicious of advice. Reality is that only a minor percentage of even advanced skiers ever ski moguls smoothly. Just managing to get through mogul slopes is not the same. And how many are near your height weight? How many have been on numbers of different skis? At 5'10" 200# your world atop skis and snow is going to be far different than small me. Even though I ski bumps rather well, I cannot provide useful ski advice as I am again way smaller at gal size and don't know different current ski models. As a web community it is nice that a range of people offer advice however listen with more value to an expert of skis and matching skis to people like Phil and a few others here at your same size that know skis well.

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
Reality is that only a minor percentage of even advanced skiers ever ski moguls smoothly. Just managing to get through mogul slopes is not the same.

but will not "hold me back" dedicating myself to mastering bumps. Smeary, somewhat softer, allowing speed control, etc...snaking my way thru, in balance, etc...No hi speed zipper lines or big airs. Really looking for advice of where to start looking (specifically) as searching "mogul skis" provides competition style. Any help appreciated!!!

As mentioned, snaking a direct line is not an intermediate skill, while skiing it slow is an advance skill. I would also mention that very few will feel the skis pull them into the direct line.

andrewd

Hold on.. I'm trying to plan a trip
Skier
Suggestions on this thread are all over the place to the extent one has to be suspicious of advice. Reality is that only a minor percentage of even advanced skiers ever ski moguls smoothly. Just managing to get through mogul slopes is not the same. And how many are near your height weight? How many have been on numbers of different skis? At 5'10" 200# your world atop skis and snow is going to be far different than small me. Even though I ski bumps rather well, I cannot provide useful ski advice as I am again way smaller at gal size and don't know different current ski models. As a web community it is nice that a range of people offer advice however listen with more value to an expert of skis and matching skis to people like Phil and a few others here at your same size that know skis well.

This is really good advice, Skis are very personal. You can definitely use some of the posts here to find some skis to look into, and then check out the reviews on @SkiEssentials or blistergear reviews. They typically give you a really good profile with height, weight, and skier type of the reviewer which is super helpful for any ski purchase you can't demo yourself.

With that said, Brahma CA is definitely a good place to start. From what you said about yourself, i would go with the 180 over the 173 unless you would only use these for bumps/don't often ski fast (Again, its personal, I'm 5'10 155 and I would choose the 180 over the 173). Can't speak too much to the other suggestions as I haven't skied them. Good luck

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
So the v8 or v10 (with metal?) suitable for inter? I watched the intro video and believe they were aimed at advanced/experts.

Yeah, and with large shovels they are probably a handful in moguls.

There are some really nice recommendations in this thread. Skis in the 80-85mm width give or take that do not have a super short radius sidecut and have a medium flex should do well in moguls. Also avoid the longer lengths. For your size I would choose a ski 177cm long or shorter (around 170cm min and 180cm max)

Magoo

Putting on skis
Inactive
I didn't like the Kanjo. Just feels wrong to me. I went Navigator 85 blind and is so right foe me 5'6 135.. 165 length.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm liking the idea of Kanjo, brahma CA, and xdr's. Don't know much about Kastle or DPS but certainly plan to explore further. !

I do agree that a ski with less side cut and a softer flex and slightly shorter length helps a lot in the bumps. As someone who experiences waxing and waning levels of competency in the bumps, a ski with these characteristics is a confidence builder, and confidence in the bumps goes a long way toward bettering technique.

The DPS Cassiar in a low 80’s width is a great choice but comes at a premium price, though sales can be found now. I demoed the Cassiar 82 in the Alchemist construction and it definitely would be what I would consider perfect for bumps as well as skiing anywhere else. I’m 5’10” 170 lb. and if I were in the market, that would be my #1 ski choice.

I haven’t skied the Kastle FX 85, but if I were in the market for a bump friendly ski, I would put that one on my short list, too. Deals on that guy are around now, too.

@SSSdave I had a very good instructor who is a member on Pugski tell me to crouch down at the top of a bump run....just to see it from the perspective of someone shorter than me (it looks easier, lol). It showed me that one’s height not only can determine ski length and choice, but it also definitely changes one’s perspective of the difficulty of a bump run.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Salomon XDR 80 or 84 would be a wonderful choice also, right there with the Navigator in my opinion. The Navigator series is really, really good. So are the XDR's. These are skis WAY more people should be on than Brahma/ Kendo/ Enforcer.

Also, the Kanjo suggestion is a good one too.

So I usually entirely agree with you, in this case the Navigator(all waist width) is a really good bump ski. It probably amoung the best especially for an easy going ski. The XDR series though a ski that I actually love most of the time which is amazing for such a light ski, is absolutely horrid in one condition, hardpack bumps especially really troughed out hardpack bumps. The tail and especially the tip try to catch the backside and take you were you do not want to go. IMO it would be nice to an XDR with maybe 15 percent less torisonal rigidity, and 30 percent more longitudinal rigidity as well maybe 17m sidecut in the 179cm 84mm model. I have been on a 186cm XDR 88 as well slightly better in bumps the enormous tip was still a liability in bumps. Its a shame as well, because I really love how the entire series carves, goes though chop, and skis powder, and I am fairly certain I am far from their target skier for this ski.

The real gem in Salomon line up for bump skiing is the QST 85 way better than any of he XDR in bumps.

If I was the OP I would find a 179cm Nordica Navigator 85 or 90 and just buy it. My second choice for the OP would be 180cm Brahma CA. I would caution going to short as too short can actually create balance problem and encourage pushing.

With all of this said though with rare exceptions bump skiing is about skills, equipment can help but it will never be a silver bullet. I own tons of skis and there are literally only 3 under 110mm I really do not like in bumps. My Race stock SLs, 179cm XDR 84 ti, and 187cm Blizzzard Bonafide OG carbons.

TS
D

dropd9

Booting up
Skier
If I was the OP I would find a 179cm Nordica Navigator 85 or 90 and just buy it. My second choice for the OP would be 180cm Brahma CA. I would caution going to short as too short can actually create balance problem and encourage pushing.
This I find very interesting, as well as your entire reply. I understand bump skiing is 99 percent skill, and I simply don't want to hurt myself with completely inappropriate equipment, including length. One would assume a shorter ski would help, but your statement regarding going too short makes sense as it relates to balance problems. Also, what do you mean by "pushing"?

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
pushing means that when outside of the bumps you push your skis sideways to not go right, instead of turning/tipping your skis left to go left. Basically shorter skis while easy to pivot(something that shouldnt be our default move) make correct movements harder to do, and again balance. With the cavet i am high expert with the ability to ski bumps many different ways, even going slow really short skis can be hard as the sweet spot is much smaller, and if I get to far forward or aft I have to fight to stay on my feet.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nordica NAVIGATOR 80 or 85.

Second the Navigator 80/85. I think you and I are similar-ish experience levels and these were friendly in bumps but also fun on groomers. Thinking of picking up an 80 if I can find one cheap just for bumps.

These are really good, really underated skis.

I agree with the Navigator suggestions

If I was the OP I would find a 179cm Nordica Navigator 85 or 90 and just buy it.

Thanks so much for all the Navigator suggestions. I pulled the trigger on 172cm Navigator 80's for bumps and skiing groomers with the kiddos.

=================== DIRT CHEAP NAVIATOR 80 PSA =============================

$199 at REI with free shipping!!!
Looks like I got the last 172 but they still have 165 and 179 in stock at the moment:
https://www.rei.com/product/122220/nordica-navigator-80-skis-mens-20172018

===========================================================================

Last edited:

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
AND use ski poles that are a good 4 inches shorter than what you are used to! (Trust me on this one).
Don't know about four inches but yes gotta go a couple at least. Might have to try another inch.
Kastle FX 85. Cheaper but similar would be k2 pinnacle 85/88
Picked up a set of FX85's with demo attack bindings last year for around 5 bills. Took some experimenting with the positioning on the bindings. Ended up a couple cm ahead of center. It took me a few times out to get used to these but they kick*ss. Ran into another guy on a pair of rentals and the shop had set him up the same way. Check some of the on line shops for the same deal maybe.

TS
D

dropd9

Booting up
Skier
Thanks so much for all the Navigator suggestions. I pulled the trigger on 172cm Navigator 80's for bumps and skiing groomers with the kiddos.

=================== DIRT CHEAP NAVIATOR 80 PSA =============================

$199 at REI with free shipping!!!
Looks like I got the last 172 but they still have 165 and 179 in stock at the moment:
https://www.rei.com/product/122220/nordica-navigator-80-skis-mens-20172018

===========================================================================
Yes, I believe I got the last pair of 179's. Finally made the move, based on so much love these get for improving both on-piste as well as the bump fields. Thank you all, and stoked to get on these!!