• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

dropd9

Booting up
Skier
Hey all, brand new member and searched, although with confusing results.
49 year old male, 5'10" 200lb advancing intermediate, ski in North East, and really just getting back to skiing after a 8-10 year hiatus while raising a hockey player and normal parenting duties, as many here prob have! Have always enjoyed on-piste skiing on "higher end" equipment and ski comfortably in many conditions, but never REALLY took the time to advance myself in moguls. Simply looking for specific skis that will allow fun all over the mountain, but will not "hold me back" dedicating myself to mastering bumps. Smeary, somewhat softer, allowing speed control, etc...snaking my way thru, in balance, etc...No hi speed zipper lines or big airs. Really looking for advice of where to start looking (specifically) as searching "mogul skis" provides competition style. Any help appreciated!!!

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Hey all, brand new member and searched, although with confusing results.
49 year old male, 5'10" 200lb advancing intermediate, and really just getting back to skiing after a 8-10 year hiatus while raising a hockey player and normal parenting duties, as many here prob have! Have always enjoyed on-piste skiing on "higher end" equipment and ski comfortably in many conditions, but never REALLY took the time to advance myself in moguls. Simply looking for specific skis that will allow fun all over the mountain, but will not "hold me back" dedicating myself to mastering bumps. Smeary, somewhat softer, allowing speed control, etc...snaking my way thru, in balance, etc...No hi speed zipper lines or big airs. Really looking for advice of where to start looking (specifically) as searching "mogul skis" provides competition style. Any help appreciated!!!

Mogul skis these days are almost to specific of a ski type unless you are only banging out moguls. Probably something in the 75-85 catagory will suit your taste. Not really my specialiy but I'm sure you will get some good recommendations.

What's your location? Mountains you ski? Always helps narrow it down a bit.

Welcome and Good luck on your journey

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Head V8, V10, new lib tech frontside series, any playful instructor ski really.

Don't forget that good bump skiing requires good, even great boot fit.

TS
D

dropd9

Booting up
Skier
So the v8 or v10 (with metal?) suitable for inter? I watched the intro video and believe they were aimed at advanced/experts.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I started a thread with much the same question about 5 years ago over at Epicski. Three skis that came out of that thread were the Blizzard Bushwacker, The Ski by Scott, and Head Rock n Rolls. I already had a pair of Bushwackers, so it was good to have them verified by the collective wisdom. The Bushwackers exited Blizzard's line, but has since returned. It has been tweaked, but I see no reason for the current version not to be just as good in bumps. It's worth considering the Black Pearl, as the longest length often can be found a fire sale prices over the summer. Virtually the same ski, if you don't mind it being marketed as a women's ski. Since that time, Blizzard came out with the Latigo, at 78 underfoot. And the Black Pearl 78 should be close to the same ski. Both have a reputation for being good in the bumps. It looks like Scott's The Ski is still being made; the demo pair I bought I like quite a lot in the bumps. Of the three I first mentioned, I like the Rock n Rolls the best. Unfortunately, they were discontinued even when I started that thread. I scored maybe the last 168 pair out there.

All of that said, I LOVE my Stockli Laser AXs in the bumps. They now are my go-to bump ski.

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
Dynastar Twister, the ski has the flex pattern needed to ski a direct line in the moguls, soft tip and stiff tail. It has a softer flex so that you learn to load the front of the ski. The dimension is from a circa 2000 all mountain ski and feels the same as a softer flex ski of that generation and still hold speeds very well, meaning it doesn't vibrate with high speed.

The only thing I hat about this ski is it doesn't hold an edge in boilerplate and does ok on hard granular..... even with a fresh tune.

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
Second the Navigator 80/85. I think you and I are similar-ish experience levels and these were friendly in bumps but also fun on groomers. Thinking of picking up an 80 if I can find one cheap just for bumps.

TS
D

dropd9

Booting up
Skier
So Bushwacker / Brama CA in 173 should work for height/weight/age? Assuming mostly for bumps, I would be comfortable on the shorter size. Thank you!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I agree with the Navigator suggestions along with the Bushwacker/Brahma CA. Another great choice is the upcoming Liberty VMT 82 which will be a great mogul option. The same with the DPS Foundation Cassiar 82 and 87.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I got a Fischer Pro man 86 for a mid 80s front side ski that’s good at bumps. The volkl kanjo was even better in bumps as were the dps cassiar serries. The cassiar 87 alchemist was almost bump specific imo. I didn’t get to try the Nordica or blizzard offerings.

Last edited:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Nordica NAVIGATOR 80 or 85.

These are really good, really underated skis.

At your size a 177 Head Monster 83 would work as well. The current one would be fine. IMHO, the V series have a bit much sidecut unless your all around ski skills are well developed. Something with a bit less sidecut will be easier to ski in bumps.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
He has no idea what that means.

Sure, but most other respondents in the thread would, which was the idea behind putting it there.

I watched the intro video and believe they were aimed at advanced/experts.

Your stated goal
mastering bumps. Smeary, somewhat softer, allowing speed control, etc...snaking my way thru, in balance, etc...
is not intermediate level skiing. When skiers downplay their narratives in ski shops they get downsold. Also notice that you will be practicing elements of mogul skiing while not in moguls and that you will not want to bang zipper lines - so "no metal ski construction" becomes much less of a hard rule.

Last edited:

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
I love the Scott Black Majic for this purpose. I find it to be really easy to ski, nicely smeary and snaky if you want and happy to operate at a slow pace or to mach. It's also pretty happy with zippers and air time. It skis short, at 184 and 80 under foot, it erased the longing for my 173 bump specific K2 Cabrawler. Bonus..... it's a way better front side ski than the K2.

agreen

Getting on the lift
Skier
2nd nomination for the Kastle FX 85 (non - HP version). I would marry this ski if it was legal. So quick and easy in the bumps it feels like cheating. The surprising thing though is how well it performs in almost ALL conditions. Skied at Red mtn in a foot of soft chop and took out my 106's thinking it would be easier. Had fun but the next day I took out the Kastle and had even more fun. So easy to turn and its not demanding at all so good for intermediate IMHO.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
All of that said, I LOVE my Stockli Laser AXs in the bumps. They now are my go-to bump ski.

Interesting. I loved your Stockli Laser AX in bumps too, at least the big round Snowbird bumps I tried them with. I don't love my Stockli Laser AX in bumps, at least the choppy eastern bumps I tried them with. Too long and too stiff, and the tail catches when I make a mistake. (For the gallery, yours are 167 and mine are 183.) (Mine were good in big round bumps, actually.)

My take on good mogul skis -- not too long, though not necessarily super short. Soft and/or early rise shovel. Not too much sidecut (though I do like my slaloms in bumps, so maybe it doesn't matter that much). A rounded or raised tail that forgives momentary balance errors. Overall flex soft-ish but not too soft. Width doesn't matter.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
Salomon XDR 80 or 84 would be a wonderful choice also, right there with the Navigator in my opinion. The Navigator series is really, really good. So are the XDR's. These are skis WAY more people should be on than Brahma/ Kendo/ Enforcer.

Also, the Kanjo suggestion is a good one too.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Oh yeah, the Kanjo- I spent about three runs on that ski a couple of weeks ago and REALLY liked it. And if you read its stated profile, it seems to be targeted at the improving intermediate to advanced skier.

Sponsor

Staff online