• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
R

rjski

Booting up
Skier
My approach to buying skis.
Demo whatever is available.
If you find something you love, buy it and stop demoing. (Or keep demoing, if you want.)
Notice that no lists are involved.
I have no idea how you guys do it but I never saw a free demo day. If there's a way please let me know.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Note that the OP has not mentioned bumps yet. At this point in his development as a boarder/skier he likes long carved turns at speed. His interest in short turns is minimal. That said, a ski that performs well in bumps - for him, at his weight - will most likely work better for his overall skill development than one that doesn't. Even if he stays out of the bumps, he most likely will be able to sense it bending at slower speeds as he works on learning its personality.

OP added "West Coast afternoons" so I did a bit of forecasting. And next OP post there it is... (Not a hard predict - any young fit keen skier is going to go moguls sooner or later. :)

I have no idea how you guys do it but I never saw a free demo day. If there's a way please let me know.

There are occasional ski demo days on some mountains where an assortment of companies will turn up with their wares in those little pop-up tents. Typically will provide each pair of skis for about an hour in exchange for a drivers license or credit card. (No charge, they just want you to re-appear with their skis.) May get to test a few different pairs of skis in a day, depending on availability. These things tend to happen over a weekend in my experience so it can be tough getting hold of the particular pair of skis you are after 'cause so are others.

If there are such days at mountains you ski some-one will know when they will be held. Whistler used to have a semi-permanent demo dome near the 1/2 way restaurant - not sure if still there.

Also try getting to know some of the folk in the store by making a few visits and asking lots of questions about the skis. I have been offered free demos, especially when I've bought other stuff from that store.

When I really want to try some skis and have had to pay for a demo day I will make 'em work for their money testing everything possible and in different lengths. (And of course stores will take the cost of the demo off the purchase price.) I take the view that if I don't make friends with a ski very quickly then I'm not going to buy it.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My approach to buying skis.
Demo whatever is available.
If you find something you love, buy it and stop demoing. (Or keep demoing, if you want.)
Notice that no lists are involved.

I only included a list for the OP in this particular application since we've gone way overboard with suggestions. Otherwise, just demo/buy whatever catches your fancy endlessly. Critical assumption: you're honest and knowledgable about your own abilities, and have access to competent, reliable information e.g. Pugski.

TS
R

rjski

Booting up
Skier
I ended up catching a good deal on offerup and got 170cm 2012 Rossignol Avenger 76 Basalt for $80. I doubt that these skis has ridden more than 5 times. Do you guys think this will be ideal within my skills for this season or I'll start to override it pretty soon?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, you didn't pay a lot.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
I thinks you did alright there, especially for that price.
Get some days in, and preferably some lessons. When you progress more technically and seek out other terrain than groomers, you'll at least have some preference on turn-shape, damping and skiing style (lazy, dynamic, poppy, agressive etc.) when you go shopping for more advances skis that will help you more in varried snow and terrain.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I ended up catching a good deal on offerup and got 170cm 2012 Rossignol Avenger 76 Basalt for $80. I doubt that these skis has ridden more than 5 times. Do you guys think this will be ideal within my skills for this season or I'll start to override it pretty soon?

Yes, this will be an excellent ski for you. I used to have a pair of the 76ti. It was a wonderful easy carving ski, that you can take most anywhere

Sponsor