• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

rjski

Booting up
Skier
Hi,
I'm 29 165-170lbs 5'10, athletic with total experience 15-20 days. I've always rented skis so far and decided to buy my own skis and got the boots first as Rossignol Allspeed 120 but can't decide about the ski. I love to ski in high speed so stability is something I really care.
Other than that I'm looking for a ski which can improve my carving easily and take me to advanced/expert level. These years my playground is Mammoth Mountain at west coast and I start in the morning, keep going all day long until lifts stop working so it should be fine with little slushy snow too.
Also shouldn't skip the part that I like to make med/long turns rather than short ones.

So far I looked at Rossignol Hero Elite Plus 174, Hero elite MT and Head Supershape irally. Which one should I go with?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There are a lot of great skis in that 16-17M radius that I will stil deem frontside biased carving skis, these will be in the mid 70mm width like the skis that you mentioned but not quite as technical and a bit of versatility added. Atomic has an upcoming Redster X9 WB (wide body), K2's stellar SuperCharger should always be in this conversation. If you want to step up to some premiums, the Stockli AX, Kastle MX74, Renoun Z77 and DPS Alchemist 79 are always worth the price difference.

TS
R

rjski

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for the reply, seems like it's super hard to find these skis. Dps has only 167, stokli is super expensive. There's only K2 option but I don't now if stellar is different than regular supercharger, If so I couldn't find it.

What If I go with the technical one's like hero elite plus? What would be the difference?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks for the reply, seems like it's super hard to find these skis. Dps has only 167, stokli is super expensive. There's only K2 option but I don't now if stellar is different than regular supercharger, If so I couldn't find it.

What If I go with the technical one's like hero elite plus? What would be the difference?
The Hero Elite will jsut demand/require a little mroe of your attention..especially at your level. It si a really good skis and if you feel that you have struck oil with it...and found a deal...grab 'em.

TS
R

rjski

Booting up
Skier
So for my riding style, should I go for Hero Elite Plus Ti Or Hero Elite MT Ti? Can't figure the difference between those.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So for my riding style, should I go for Hero Elite Plus Ti Or Hero Elite MT Ti? Can't figure the difference between those.
I'd like the Plus but if you can find a screaming deal on the MT...not a bad 1A option.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I ski the MT Carbon. Didn't love it as the season progressed. The tail releases on me. I ski east coast stuff, so the MT should have been good. You're west coast, go wider. If Rossi is the one, than another vote on the Plus.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I ski the MT Carbon. Didn't love it as the season progressed. The tail releases on me. I ski east coast stuff, so the MT should have been good. You're west coast, go wider. If Rossi is the one, than another vote on the Plus.
Do you think the Carbon rather than the Ti version could be the problem?

Stacks

Stacks
Skier
Those skis sound quite high end and wondering about the wisdom of the choice with 15-20 days total experience? I learnt from @Tricia in a post from her about being smitten by ski reviews and spending too much time on skis that were too stiff and long and that hindered her progress. I've had similar experience and being on a ski that is a bit more forgiving and easy going that doesn't demand so much might be better? My narrowest ski is a Fischer ProMtn 86 that can make any turn shape at any speed (well for me at least) and has some good off piste performance too. I might be talking out of turn but that's my 2c worth as you guys like to say.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
I ran a pair of Hero Elite Plus Ti this year as previously discussed: https://www.pugski.com/threads/a-tale-of-two-racer-ish-skis.15691

The Elite Plus Ti is 78 mm underfoot while the MT is 74 mm--paradoxically, the MT might be a bit easier to ski and more forgiving, although both are quite nice for what they are.

I'd try a pair along with something like a Nordica Navigator before buying--no need to rush, especially with only 15-20 days total experience.

Whatever you get, be sure to get some good lessons.

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah a Fischer Curve GT for someone with 20 days total experience? Not a great choice.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
All great skis being talked about, and new skis are always fun. Like others, just got to wonder, if most of these might be a bit much ski for the amount of experience you have.

Uninvited $0.02 worth. You might consider taking a bit of your budget and investing it into a couple of lessons. It might take you farther towards your goals faster than a new pair of skis will. The old expression holds especially true in skiing; ' it's not the arrow it's the Indian'.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
As a wet-behnd-the-ears novice (20 days experience), you need to know that skis cannot make you a better skier. But the wrong skis can doom you to problematic movement patterns.

There are skis that you need to avoid purchasing. I know this because for several years, as a novice like you, I used skis too "advanced" for my skill level. I did not know the impact they were having on my skiing. I developed very bad habits that I had to replace because of those skis, and while developing those habits I was oblivious to the negative impact on my skiing those skis were having. Now, years later, I am wiser.

You also need to know that replacing bad skiing habits is difficult. Consider the challenge of stopping smoking, or of eating a healthy diet for the rest of your life, as similar challenges to replacing dysfunctional habits learned while trying to increase your skill on "advanced" skis. Taking lessons will help; buying skis that assume you're an advanced skier won't.

You also need to know that skis that you can bend, and skis that you can feel bending when you make them bend, are better for your skill-building than stiff mothers that you can't bend no matter how hard you try.

My suggestion is to take the advice of people posting here who are clearly paying attention to your current experience level.

**Someone needs to say that boots that fit well and are adjusted for good alignment CAN improve your skiing.

Last edited:

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier

**Someone needs to say that boots that fit well and are adjusted for good alignment CAN improve your skiing.

Yes. Yes.. yes.. boots need to be properly fit and feet need to be stable. No collapsing arches or sloppy heels.

TS
R

rjski

Booting up
Skier
Thanks all, I think maybe I made a mistake by saying I have 15-20 days total. Yes, that's all I have but some people are more talented than others.
I'm generally good with all kind of sports by genes. Don't get me wrong, maybe you guys are right but I've demoed Volkl RTM 84 and Blizzard Bonafide last season both with 130 Flex Nordica Speedmachine. I think both good skis but I want something around high-70s width to improve my carving.

Btw If you take a look at this video this guy looks like he knows what he is talking about. Especially if you listen what he says at 3:15.

Respect all opinions, please tell me if I'm wrong.

Also If you still think the same, please give me some advices about which skis I can get. I definitely don't want to spend $100 more to just demo.

Sponsor

Staff online