• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta Interesting Dilemma

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
Go for it!

I believe that Sunshine gets quite a bit more snow than Lake Louise. While it seems like most agree that Louise has more interesting terrain, that probably won't be a factor for the early season. When I skied these places two Decembers ago, I rented a bar and stayed at a motel in Banff, and just chose where to go each morning based on conditions.

Honestly, even if there are only a handful of open runs, it's still worth it. The views at Sunshine and Louise are the most beautiful I've ever seen for a ski resort (I haven't skied Europe). I was also fortunate enough to spent time in Banff, Jasper, and some of the surrounding provincial parks a couple of summers ago...holy cow that area is gorgeous.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
SSV and LL are 2 of the most amazing places we've skied. Been 2 different weeks over 2 years, can't wait to go back.

LL is more groomers and SSV is known for powder.. Both amazing. The area all around is EPICLY GORGEOUS.

Have fun.

TS
Jilly

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Well I don't think there will be powder in November. I dropped into the parking lot at Sunshine on October 4th. Nothing happening there except for the guy washing the windows. Things are coming together that this might just happen!!

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Well I don't think there will be powder in November. I dropped into the parking lot at Sunshine on October 4th. Nothing happening there except for the guy washing the windows. Things are coming together that this might just happen!!
You say this, but I've got 4-5 inches on my deck, Montana snowpack is well ahead of normal, East Glacier has had 66 inches so far,
mt_swepctnormal_update.png

and Sunshine is posting this on their Facebook page.

TS
Jilly

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
I went back and forth last night. Then found that I have enough points for an SUV. Got Ikon pass....why not!! First time I've been out there when there is snow, so I'm going. They probably will be short days as first days out, but no matter what is should be better than home.

Now just hoping that it isn't foggy or snowing hard!! I want to see the views.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I have no idea what sunshine village looks like because it's always seems to be overcast/snowing. Hoping early season gives you some views. My friend calls SSV the biggest lie because there's no village and never sunshine lol. Do the ski out if you are up for some fun back to your car because you can ski down to where the gondola lets you off at the parking lot, lots of ways down but not sure what of this is open early season. Amazing terrain and if Goat's eye is open it's really fun over there. One of the chairs has heated seats, can't remember which one. Lake Louise on the other hand has been very sunny every time and I have to stop every few feet to take pictures. Reminds me of Lilly's Leap at Owls Head in the beauty of it. My SO was stoked at LL because he got to ski the Ladies downhill trail which is I think the trail Lindsay Vonn raced on. Both mountains offer tours if you are into that. LL's is pick your level and SSV is one level and that's intermediate and above and then they go with the majority of the group. I imagine both mountains will be doing these early season.

I hope lots is open and you have the best time.

TS
Jilly

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
As I was planning this, I decided not to lug my skis out there. Looking at rentals/demo's all seem to be makes and models I either don't see here or I already know to stay away from. (Salomon Myriad or Lux) I was really looking for this years Atomic Vantage that would match my 95C's....no where to be found.

So Ladies....SA 93, what length...5'5, 155lb....advanced skier on the groomers. Seems to be the only one I would be interested in.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Noone else has commented so here goes. I've only been skiing for 8 years now but I'm an inch taller than you and have a few pounds on ya and I'd ski the 169. I'm an advanced intermediate at best so you are way more advanced than me. The ski has some rocker so I think the 161 would be too short... I don't know what length your atomic 95cs are

TS
Jilly

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
I just read SkiNurse's review on the Aira 80Ti. But I've never met a Salomon that I wanted to ski for long. I'll be bringing the Vantage's home on Saturday. I'm thinking they are 171, because my Hero's were 161.

Looking through the rentals site, I couldn't believe the amount of Salomon's. Hated the Myriad and Lux.....

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
As I was planning this, I decided not to lug my skis out there. Looking at rentals/demo's all seem to be makes and models I either don't see here or I already know to stay away from. (Salomon Myriad or Lux) I was really looking for this years Atomic Vantage that would match my 95C's....no where to be found.

So Ladies....SA 93, what length...5'5, 155lb....advanced skier on the groomers. Seems to be the only one I would be interested in.

if it's 'old' snow I'm thinking you'll want tighter waist 65-75's? If you have soft new snow sure 93, and more rocker, more length

TS
Jilly

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
So, choices appear to be, that I would try:

Santa Ana 93, Astral 84, Sentra S5, W-Max 10 and Astra (salomon). And I guess it does depend on the conditions.

Current skis are: Rossi Hero ST Carbon, Rossi Hero MT Carbon, Atomic Vantage 95C.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Lake Louise was really good last weekend. Sunday was especially nice. There was a bit of a crust on the old snow for Friday and Saturday's terrain openings, but this was broken up by sunday.

Great conditions in Paradise Bowl, Ptarmigan, Raven, and Upshoots. Groomed runs were slick in spots though.

Quite rocky, but I escaped without too much damage.

Larch opens on Friday. This means all of the chairs will be running over the weekend. The steepest terrain has a way to go, but there is plenty of interesting terrain to ski.

Sunshine has been slower to open terrain.

Sponsor