• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta Interesting Dilemma

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I received an email this morning from the education chair of our industry association. I am one of many instructors for the industry. He wondered if I was available to teach in Calgary the week of November 18. I look at the calendar and wonder about staffing etc. I talk to my staff and find out everyone will be in house that week. So work wise I can go. But my problem is the weekends. Saturday the 17th I am moving into my rental condo at Tremblant. But I would need to fly out Sunday. Tremblant is 4 1/2 hours from home. Then the next weekend, Friday the 22nd is opening day at Tremblant. I wasn't planning on that day, but the weekend yes!! I can still get up to Tremblant the first weekend to move stuff in and get back home, then on to the airport. But opening weekend could be a problem if I have to stay until the Friday.

But!! Lake Louise opens November 8th!! Stay and make first turns at LL and use a day or 2 of my Ikon??

Dilemma....

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
It's an adventure, right? That's why you'd do it, for the stimulation, correct? No other reason?
Is the beginning of the season, when you're already booked up, sorta, without momentum yet, a good time for an adventure for you?
Will it make your season's start better than the same-old same-old will?
At Christmas, will you look back on this and be glad you did it? Or glad you didn't?

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Take boots to Calgary. Beyond that, you’ll have to make decisions on how to best spend your time.

I’m not sure I would be all that invested in opening day at Tremblant compared to LL or Sunshine, and also, you can move into your condo any time.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
If it were me, I’d stay home. Same old friends I haven’t seen all summer, same old runs I know every little corner of...

No, that’s not me. But I have many friends who prefer it that way. And I understand. I’m slowly getting that way myself. Preferring the familiar, and only takes “adventure” in measured doses. This come from having skied in many different places.

That said, of all places, Lake Louise is one of those exceptionally beautiful places. It’s hard to say no to.

I bet your heart already decided, just your head needs confirmation.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
How much of LL is open in early November?

I skied Loveland and Copper on a work trip in early November one year. It was limited to man made blues and greens.

I know that some regions have been getting some fairly significant snow already this year. Have no idea about CAN.

TS
Jilly

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Talking to a client this morning, he says Sunshine is better. So maybe stay somewhere central and see what's good that day. Guess I should have bought a full pass for the park instead of just a day back on October 4th.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Sunshine gets powder. LL is more hard pack but super long, steep and very beautiful runs. Every time I've skied SSV it's been puking powder but not sure about early season. You can stay on the avenue in banff for a good price and take a shuttle the moubtains if you chose. You'll have a great time. I'm sure know all this stuff, I just love that area and get excited when thinking about it.

TS
Jilly

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Well I have a friend that works for Big 3. But, she's down under visiting family. So can talk to her. Because that's the question, how much is open and worth the expense to do it?

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Lake Louise hasn't reported their snowfall yet, but things look be better than average. The Skoki snow plot is showing a top 25% year to date.

I have friends who have skied around lake louise (the lake - a snowier side of the valley), with some success. The Bow summit area (30 minutes up 93north from lake louise) is skiing great.

What to expect? It's tough to say. It's the second weekend of the season. Usually there is more than Wiwaxy, but no guarantees. Sometimes most of the mountain is open.

My notes from that same weekend last year:

"Lake Louise has really come along from modest opening. The back bowls base is at 85cm, which is still rock ski territory, but reasonable. The Summit Platter is open with front side options and Boomerang on the back. The Paradise chair and Paradise bowl are also open, as is Top of the World Chair. I feel we are close to getting Ptarmigan and Larch going (and the gondola, i guess!)"

And the year before:

"skied at Lake Louise both days last weekend. It was really great! They opened all lifts on Saturday, so we were able to catch fresh tracks on a lot of new terrain. The Ptarmigan, Raven, and Lynx runs were skiing great with few hazards.

Lake Louise has received over 2 feet of snow since last weekend, and conditions are much improved. The high traverse to the summit from top of the world, which was brutal last week, is now blocked off by the World Cup course. Everyone needs to go skiers left to start now. This traverse if rocky, but there are some clean lines. The entrance to Saddleback is also clean.

It snowed Saturday night, all day Sunday, and again last night. We were skiing powder and cut up snow all weekend. The base is now 116 in the back bowls, but it is unconsolidated...so you will still find rocks. I had a really nasty ding when I found a shark on the North Cornice area. I also tweaked my knee hitting unseen deadfall in the trees around the old eagle lift. I also saw a boarder get seriously hurt charging into a rock field, and falling onto more rock. So be careful out there! There is some untracked snow below the snow fence at the top of top of the world....It's open, but there is no clean way though. Stay away!

The really steep stuff is closed (still waiting on 50% of the runs), and the lower mountain is limited to Wiwaxy, but it is really good for early season!

Similar snow at Sunshine....still no rumblings about early openings in BC."

Could be okay. If you only have wiwaxy at Louise, go to sunshine. If Louise gets paradise open, go to Louise.

Bring rock skis. I always destroy my gear in November. Open does not mean rock free (or anywhere near rock free).

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Thanks @Mike Rogers . Not sure it's worth the expense of car rental, hotels etc. And I wasn't going to bring skis, so don't care about the bases.
Meed to add the cost of renting skis?

I have a similar dilemma for Thanksgiving week in Utah. I’m going to be there for other reason. But to extend my stay cost money. Whether it’s worth skiing WROD or not... Have to commit to the dates one way or the other, soon.

Sponsor

Staff online