• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Instructors, what have you heard from your ski schools?

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I've heard nothing yet.
This thread can be a place where we compare how our ski schools are planning on dealing with the virus this upcoming season.

Uke

Who am I now
Skier
Received and accepted my part time job offer this week. Looks like there will be some kind of reservation system for skiing and eating at the base lodges.

uke

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Received and accepted my part time job offer this week. Looks like there will be some kind of reservation system for skiing and eating at the base lodges.

uke
Which resort?

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I got a communication for the CSIA head office last night. They are planning on all courses, modules etc this coming season. BUT....no indoor content. All course conductors will wear face masks while instructing.

I haven't seen anything from any snow schools yet.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Summer season was much better than anticipated. We are planning for a significant reduction in demand, but we also have a significant reduction in ski instructors due to J1's and a number of ski instructors deciding to sit this one out. We are refining our offerings, reducing the maximum number of students in a group lesson, and increasing the price to reflect the increase in value of the product. Still to be determined will be what happens with locker rooms. Plans are well under way to deal with lunch. A lot of planning and decision-making is underway.

Mike

TS
LiquidFeet

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Summer season was much better than anticipated. We are planning for a significant reduction in demand, but we also have a significant reduction in ski instructors due to J1's and a number of ski instructors deciding to sit this one out. We are refining our offerings, reducing the maximum number of students in a group lesson, and increasing the price to reflect the increase in value of the product. Still to be determined will be what happens with locker rooms. Plans are well under way to deal with lunch. A lot of planning and decision-making is underway.

Mike

That's an interesting turn. At the mountains where I've taught in NE, the price of a group lesson is the same no matter how many people are in it. On weekdays, there's often only one in a group lesson. That's a big bargain for the client.

Rich McP

H20nSnow Elsewhere
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Little concrete info yet. We are learning a lot from our Perisher ops that is being incorporated into the plan, and waiting to hear what the state has planned for us. The big news for some of us is that part-timers WILL be needed. That was an emphatic point.

Last edited:

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
That's an interesting turn. At the mountains where I've taught in NE, the price of a group lesson is the same no matter how many people are in it. On weekdays, there's often only one in a group lesson. That's a big bargain for the client.
It's not uncommon to only have one in a group lesson in Aspen. But we are reducing the maximum number that will be in the lesson. And management believed we were underpriced for group lessons compared to the rest of the industry and their perception of the quality of our product.

Everything will be done with an online reservation system -- no walk ups. This should also help with scheduling!

Mike

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
But aren't we also not going to be riding the lift with that group lesson instructor or other students as tightly as the normal days? That will take longer to get up the mountain between runs, with fewer opportunites to be coached on the way up. Increasing the lesson costs due to more value in smaller student groups sounds more like increasing the lesson costs due to lower revenues at old price with smaller groups per instructor to me.

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I got a communication for the CSIA head office last night. They are planning on all courses, modules etc this coming season. BUT....no indoor content. All course conductors will wear face masks while instructing.

I haven't seen anything from any snow schools yet.
@Jilly, for ski class protocols, do you think snow schools will or should:

Follow CSIA head office protocols, which means uniformity across Canada
Follow Provincial Health Officer protocols, which means uniform protocols per province only
Follow each ski resort's own self determined ski class protocols (would likely require Health Officer approval.)

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
But aren't we also not going to be riding the lift with that group lesson instructor or other students as tightly as the normal days? That will take longer to get up the mountain between runs, with fewer opportunites to be coached on the way up. Increasing the lesson costs due to more value in smaller student groups sounds more like increasing the lesson costs due to lower revenues at old price with smaller groups per instructor to me.
For a group of 5 max students, that's a pretty minor difference in time up the mountain...

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nothing but crickets. But not a surprise as they usually reach out in Sept.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
@Jilly, for ski class protocols, do you think snow schools will or should:

Follow CSIA head office protocols, which means uniformity across Canada
Follow Provincial Health Officer protocols, which means uniform protocols per province only
Follow each ski resort's own self determined ski class protocols (would likely require Health Officer approval.)

Local/ Provinical guidelines first for sure. And that is mentioned in the missive. Ontario has just announced that masks are required for all school kids, so will that carry over to ski school? VR has announced what their plan is for the next season. I'm sure Alterra isn't far behind.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
For a group of 5 max students, that's a pretty minor difference in time up the mountain...
Not on a double.. that is now a single.. Most beginner lifts around here are exactly that.

Add in the 6 food distance and even the instructor/patrol line will be moving slower too..

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
We try to send an email or two over the summer, COVID, or not to the staff. I recently sent one out that Ski Santa Fe will be open and operating, with staff safety as a priority. Still, many policies to work out as the situation remains in flux. While the state of NM is moving toward more openings We have to be prepared in case it becomes more stringent.

With regard to the Adult Snowsports school we anticipate smaller classes, more privates which might mean more work (or having to turn away lessons) depending on the conditions. Under current restrictions we can open at 50% of mountain capacity (parking lot will fill up before we ever hit full capacity) which will really only affect holidays and really busy weekends. As other nearby areas like Taos and Angel Fire will be under the same restrictions it’s possible that we will, particularly weekdays, pick up more business.

Have not had any of our veterans tell me they are sitting it out, I imagine they are taking a wait and see approach. Normally we have a 20-25% attrition that we have to fill, but we are too far off to make any hiring decisions. Lessons will have to be reserved in advance online/phone and with our scheduling program we can match an Instructor to a class/private days in advance that the Instructor can see on a mobile app. The dining areas will be what ever the state allows. The big question is how we will stagger lockeroom use, normally a beehive of activity especially at start and end of day. Most August’s I might not even be in town, skiing would be a far off thing but this year it’s already beginning with meetings etc and a greater ramp up after Labor Day.

I can tell you Virus or not our mountains have been packed this summer, most of our guests travel here by car from out of state and if we get good snow I think we will be busy.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
all of our beginner lifts are quads, six-packs, or magic carpets...
So it still doubles the number of lift time running at 50% capacity.

Really though, I'd go with that "enhanced value of smaller groups" marketing spin if I were in management as well. I already expected them to say that.

I'm looking forward to less crowded slopes and better parking... expecting to pay more for that though... it's only fair.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
So it still doubles the number of lift time running at 50% capacity.

Really though, I'd go with that "enhanced value of smaller groups" marketing spin if I were in management as well. I already expected them to say that.

I'm looking forward to less crowded slopes and better parking... expecting to pay more for that though... it's only fair.
Let's presume there were 8 students in the old system. That's 3 lift chairs. With a group of 4 and 2 per chair, it's 3 lift chairs. No difference.

Mike

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Let's presume there were 8 students in the old system. That's 3 lift chairs. With a group of 4 and 2 per chair, it's 3 lift chairs. No difference.

Mike

My poor math skills tell me that 8 people on your quads would be TWO chairs, not 3.

Sponsor