• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Instructor Said My Skis Were Too Wide

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I was just thinking... When I lived in Michigan, my powder skis were 88mm under foot...
They were not the shape and TR of the Legend 88's but... just a sidetone about where skis have come and how this discussion is all relative.

I seem to remember you were on the old Elan Magfires for a while.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
There are other considerations besides width. We don't have much info about OP's skill level, but of the choices so far... the Head v line is a good place to start. I assume he is an aspiring skier.

165 cm or a bit (5 to 10 cm) shorter if you are sticking to small hills.
Stockli SC
Head Rebel i. SL
Fischer WC SC
Kastle RX12 SL
Volkl Racetiger SL

All of these skis are high level and I believe that someone learning to carve would do much better with a supple ski. The skill of carving is a worthy goal and one that can be easily attained with some good instruction. But picking the right ski will help.

Any one of those skis that Francois suggested would be perfect for my quiver!

Hamid S

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Fife - 88 underfoot isn't a huge handicap, but your instructor is correct. Width is not so much about your height, but you tib / fib length. Look up work by Dr. John Seifert. He's at Montana State University, but on sabbatical now in Austria. He has a great prezo on YouTube from PSIA National Academy, if you really want to geek out.

I have a number of private students in your same boat. A screaming deal right now is the Dynastar Speed Zone 10. I taught on it for a season or two. Great ski. Very comfortable all day, five days a week. I can model technique at 3mph in the beginner area, or at 30mph on advanced terrain. Last I checked they were $350 / w binding on close-out. There is also the Speed Zone 12 and 14. That might be too much ski for you. I enjoy them, but not to work on.

If you want o go all out, if this is your passion, if this is the craft that you want to hone, Stockli Laser AX.

Enjoy.
If you don't mind me asking, where did you see those Speed Zone 10s for $350?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
OP Here. Thanks for the responses. The skis I have are Dynastar Legend 88s. They are 165 long. I’m 5’8” and weigh 140lbs.

Based on initial responses, it sounds like improving my technique on something in the 70-75mm range would be easier.

Any recommendation on make/ model or general guidance on flex?
Well, you managed to pick skis that are a little on the wide side for Minnesota ice (I grew up skiing Buck Hill) and a little on the narrow side for a decent western ski trip powder day. Those 88s would be fine for all mountain use everywhere once you're a better skier though. You'll want to rent or demo something higher 90s lower 00s for a real western powder day though.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
If you don't mind me asking, where did you see those Speed Zone 10s for $350?

I think EVO. Started by Bryce Phillips. Primary location in Seattle, but also a few other store. Main sale channel is e-tail.

That was a week or two ago. Prices will drop, or rise, depending on sales performance and projections.

Great ski for you. Enjoy.

Factskier

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I’m middle aged and just getting back into skiing this year after 2 decades off. I live in the Midwest and plan to split my ski time between Minnesota and Colorado. I bought my first pair of skis hoping for something that would ski all conditions well.

Yesterday I took my first private lessons of my life. I am trying to learn to carve instead of just skidding through turns. During the lesson the instructor said my skis were a bit wide for Minnesota groomed snow conditions. He said it would be easier to learn to tip my skis and carve with narrower skis.

For those with experience with groomed Midwest snow, what are your thoughts? How wide should skis be for someone learning to carve? For reference I’m 5’8” and weigh 140lbs.

Had that problem for a long time... skis were always a bit wide, but mostly due to the fear of injuring myself. Friends told me to get them closer step by step (no rushing) and since i have done that i can move more freely and enjoy this sport a lot more. Guess fear was making me question my abilities and making my ski "ugly"

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You'll be fine with 88 but if you get the bug maybe look for something on sale here. No need to rush just explain that you are budget conscious so need to work with what you have.

$$ could be better spent on boots or some new tires, kids, iphone, whatever.

How many days do you plan to ski each year?

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I belong to the narrow waist ski club. (My skis, not me sad to say) My daily driver for western Quebec and Ontario is 69mm underfoot. I can crave arcs with these. I'm shorter, heavier and female, but I'm skiing the Nordica Doberman SLC this year. Previously it was the Rossi Hero Elite ST carbon. They have discontinued that ski and brought out the MT in Carbon at 74mm. I'm selling those skis, but they would be too short for you at 159.

All these skis are tuned down race skis. I demo'd the Dynastar Speed zone and they were on the list before the Nordica's came into my life. It was all about the deal, not so much the ski.
Do you ski the Rossi Hero MT? If yes, how do you like them?

Sponsor

Staff online