• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Instructor recommendations [Mt Rose] ?

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Hi

I am looking for instructor recommendations @ Mt Rose. I am looking into private lessons, both for my kids (10 and 14) and myself. We are all at different degrees of intermediate. We all hold season passes, so I think we get a good deal on lessons, and hopefully we can keep improving our technique and start moving into advanced.L3 would be great, but I value teaching quality as much, or more.

Many thanks in advance. Let's see if @jwaltz has a lead :D

bud heishman

Skiing performance facilitator
Instructor
Sky Tavern
No, I have been at Northstar but not sure this season, may need to spend more time in the shop!

Mark Downing

Mt. Rose
Instructor
Ping back. I'm sorry I missed this. I guess I need to check in more often during the off season. And thanks for the plug Bud.

I will be back at Mt. Rose again this year. I work most weekends and holidays but I'm always willing to come up during the week as well.

--Mark

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I thought I should update this thread. I had my first private lesson with @Mark Downing . He truly is great. I also think, sometimes things happen for a reason. The mountain was really challenging. Even getting to the mountain was hard. We (my son and I) barely made it to the lesson, buckled up last minute, I forgot to put my googles over the glasses so when I tried they would fog up, wet snow all over the place, etc. Not a blue sky day. But also, neither my son or I, ever skied powder. Luckily, we had powder friendly Dynastar PT's.

Long story short, we had our first "powder" day in really heavy, deep, wet slush, and thank Lord, Mark was there. I tripped more times in one hour than in the whole season last year. But Mark would explain what I was doing wrong (transferring all the weight to the outside ski in the wrong conditions), and show me ways of overcoming that. He had no issues keeping an eye on both of us and instructing us in parallel. My son skis beautifully and does much better in poor conditions, where it matters. I love mini-me. :thumb:

Back to Mark: I really like his positive attitude. That's how I coach (other sports). This isn't just nice. It builds confidence much faster. Almost every instruction you can imagine can be put either in a positive or negative way, with very different results.

The other thing I like is that he'll explain why. I remember this was pointed out by many forum members in different threads. Sometimes, a coach/instructor will tell you what to do, and that's that. You don't take it personally, but it doesn't help much. Why is that? Because you want to teach a person how to fish. If you are telling them "this is the problem you are solving by doing this", now they own the problem and their goal is to solve it.

Anyways, thank you @bud heishman for the recommendation, and now I can wholeheartedly second that, for anybody visiting Mt Rose.

Last edited:
TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Amy Mason, Mark Downing, Chris Oggerino. These are some of the cream of the crop IMO and I have skied and worked with them for years! Can't go wrong with any of them.

Another update. Yesterday I was lucky to get to Rose early, and book the early bird private lesson. I called @Mark Downing , my regular coach, but he was out of town. He recommended Chris, so I managed to get that request going. I totally agree with Bud, he is also great. To the point that a guy on the lift with us and his girl, as we approach the top of the hill, tells Chris how he liked the way he verbalizes things, and asked for his name to request private lessons.

If there is something that makes Chris unique, is his approach to instruction through play. He recommended that I fool around a lot more, especially with the kids, hitting side-hits (for balance), spraying trees (for rotary skills), etc.

Clearly, both Mark and Chris are from @bud heishman school. They have an approach to instruction that is based on a fun, positive view of skiing where technique is simply an expression of bio-dynamically correct movements that allow you to deploy your tactics. And those tactics, ultimately, have to do with enjoying the mountain.

Funny enough, both Chris and I were wearing boots that were fitted by Bud :) Now, how do we get Chris to join PugSki?

Sponsor

Staff online