• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Hi all

@amlemus is looking for instruction in Colorado:

I typically ski the I-70 gauntlet (ABasin, Key, Breck). I'll def check out your suggestions! Pretty much want to get to the level where I can be a competent backcountry skier in the near future.

I moved this discussion to its own thread so it can gain some traction. Any recommendations for good private instructors in one of those areas? Thanks!

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Bumping this. Maybe @Monique or @Doug Briggs can suggest some names or tag people in the area who might know? Time for a punch, and not a bad idea to look at alignment one more time.

Last edited:

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Randy Brooks, Breck

I had a group lesson with him a year ago. He has an iPad (or something) for video analysis. Ask him to do video analysis and he will. I thought we was very good.

IDK if he does anything specifically to help with back country skiing. This was a standard group lesson at the resort - moguls, crud, groomers.

Magi

Instructor
Instructor

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Yes, we have a couple dozen PSIA examiners and 70-80 LIIIs to teach on-piste lessons, but you’d want one of the guides for hiking and backcountry stuff.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
I will second @Nancy Hummel's recommendation. Matt Bellevuille is a former extreme ski competitor and has a lot to teach you about skiing terrain. Randy is quite good. I'd also add Dave Tyrell, aka as Franz, who spends most of his time in the Windows skiing terrain.

BTW, Nancy and I spent more than 10 years at Breck skiing in the lesson club.

Mike

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve taken a lesson with Don Duran at Keystone and Bob Hamel at Breck. Both were excellent. Don posts on Pugski periodically.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I've known Ted for a dozen years. He has a nice, quiet, friendly personality. He has to ski and teach pretty well because he's a seasoned LIII. He'll also try to sell you some property around Breck because that's his other job.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Don now spends his time posting on the PSIA forum. He's a regular there, and probably posts more than anyone else.

Sponsor

Staff online