• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Instructor might quit because he still sucks at skiing.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Im not sure where this fits in but fwiw (not just in skiing but a lot of things) I don't feel one has to be real good at something in order to teach it. That said, skiing is a bit different because its done together out on the slopes. Though technically it can also be done in the classroom. And with video and also student video. I think of golf. An instructor (to the misguided logic of many) doesn't have to be better than his/her student in order to teach the student. But only hast to better understand it all and be able to see the faults or lack of skill areas of the student. Professionals in just about anything have instructors teaching them too and if you really think about that,..... the athlete(professional student) is better at actually doing it than his/her own instructor is. You never hear them say "well, why am I listening to you when your not better than me"

As for being more in tune with the topic,.......there is one thing that seems to collectively risen throughout the posts and that is resources (or lack of). The most dominant ones being availability of time and terrain and possibly money. For an instructor to advance he/she then imo becomes the student. And just like any student he/she needs those resources to then be taught and also practice what they are taught. Assuming the resource of time is the same, more advancement (or I should just say more avenues to advancement) imo can be taught, learned, and practiced, at say Killington vs camelback and more of that can be done at whistler vs Killington. More conditions, more terrain, more people involved. And just over all more avenues more readily available more often to be able advance. Its sort of a catch-22 as well because the more available avenues and resources anything has the more it produces while less produces less. The former cycles upwards while the later has very little if any movement.

Being stuck (so to say) one imo has to question what the goal is. If the desire and satisfaction is the teaching itself then so be it and so just teach what you can to who you can help. If that is not enough (and I can certainly understand that) then its more about advancing and teaching higher levels. Then imo you become the student and need to seek the avenues available and like any student one needs the resources (some of which mentioned above) to even begin to do that in the first place.

In many ways (as a recreational skier) I find frustration being stuck to mostly Pocono resorts where as anything else needs to be a more planned and more costly trip requiring resources of time and money. What can I do? With the exception of moving my life elsewhere Im stuck where I am as for skiing. Are some of those same frustrations that of instructors for some of the same reasons? I don't truly know that answer cause im not nor ever was an instructor but are some the things I mention above that work against advanced learning over all the same for an instructor as it is for a recreational skier?

@Goose, you're stuck in the Poconos and I'm stuck in New England. I feel your pain.
We are not alone.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Goose you make some excellent points.

As for teachers/ coaches not being as skilled as their students, I have two things to add:

One: As a skier, I do want an instructor who skis way better than me. I want to be wowed and inspired by their movements and technique. Of course, they need to be able to diagnose my trouble spots and show me strategies and movement patterns to correct my weaknesses, and do it in an encouraging and fun way.

So that involves three qualities on the part of the instructor: 1)The ability to ski well and demonstrate movement patterns, 2)the ability to recognize where the student is coming from (mentally and physically), diagnose trouble spots, 3)and prescribe new movements to correct problems and bring the student to the next level. Those things are not easy to do, because they require both soft and hard skills.

I got to ski with @Magi in Utah, and he’s got all of the above.

Two: I’m a high school (chemistry) teacher, and the above skills are similar for my profession, if you substitute subject knowledge and lab techniques for skiing skills. It’s a hard job because it requires a melding of emotional intelligence with subject matter knowledge in a nuanced way.

I have taught many students who are more intelligent than I, but because they are 15 or 16, they simply don’t have the experience and subject matter knowledge I do at this point. So I show them what they need to do and guide them in their skills so they can be confident and creative contrubutors to society, fulfilling their own dreams. Like the ski instructor and student, at this point, I am still a better chemist than they. However, my goal is for them to surpass me, and many do.

This segues into @Goose’s frustrations about being stuck skiing in the Poconos. I’m stuck there, too. For job reasons, and not just mine, but my husband’s. I’m not going to tell my Ph.D. husband to give up his professorship so I can ski elsewhere full time. Additionally, I feel a social responsibility towards my students that supercedes that of my desire to be a better skier.

I do feel, however, that some other skiers don’t understand that, or don’t see that it’s hard for me to get time (or sometimes extra funds) to travel during the winter. I’ve been told by some that I should take several ski trips during the season. That’s simply not possible. I get a week off at Christmas, which is an expensive time to ski. Otherwise, I need to save up personal days (max 5 allowed) which takes several years to do. And then there’s the lesson plans I need to leave for my substitute. My husband is not an avid alpine skier so we vacation together during summer break, and my ski trip with ski friends is an additional expense. But that’s really another topic.

I was an L1 instructor for 2 years, teaching new skiers, and it was great. But....most of the PSIA clinics required travel, which required time off from school, which I couldn’t do. I realized that, despite some good clinics by instructors in my ski school, I couldn’t improve as I wanted AND couldn’t find time to free ski and practice. With my high school teaching job, it was exhausting and unsustainable.

That said, we will retire elsewhere (probably in the West, where we are investigating several places) because we only get one life. I will ski A LOT more, but I will do other things, too.

Last edited:

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Goose, you're stuck in the Poconos and I'm stuck in New England. I feel your pain.
We are not alone.
Yea...hahaha what can ya do? But honestly its all relative. For example Id much rather have my 1-1/2, 2hr trip to skiing consist of choices of Mt snow, killington, Okemo, Stratton then my current choices of Blue, camelback, Shawnee, etc.... In my relative world of the poconos (for skiing) it would be a huge pain relief to have the green mountain area of Vermont (and its ski choices) as my more practical ski options. That said, someone living in Virginia may appreciate that I have a little more snow fall, a little longer season and more ski options than them.

But lets face it, such resorts in Vermont are a far cry from what is in the poconos in many ways. From amount of natural snow, available terrain offered, over all size, and just about everything ski wise including instruction and industry. And relative to that one can say the west is a far cry from Vermont for those same reasons. Its all relative but that still doesnt make one feel better as we can only judge what we are dealt and its still much nicer (for everything ski) to live within availability of the more abundant everything on that scale of relativity..lol. But none the less I enjoy skiing and so I go where I am closest and where its most practical for me to do so while my life location (for very many other reasons) is set where it is.

A bit off topic we may now be straying with "some" of this latest conversations. But I do think locations are very relevant to the topic for reasons given. It can certainly be somewhat limiting to advancements for skiers and instructors as well for many the reasons given imo.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
One: As a skier, I do want an instructor who skis way better than me. I want to be wowed and inspired by their movements and technique. Of course, they need to be able to diagnose my trouble spots and show me strategies and movement patterns to correct my weaknesses, and do it in an encouraging and fun way.

So that involves three qualities on the part of the instructor: 1)The ability to ski well and demonstrate movement patterns, 2)the ability to recognize where the student is coming from (mentally and physically), diagnose trouble spots, 3)and prescribe new movements to correct problems and bring the student to the next level. Those things are not easy to do, because they require both soft and hard skills.

I think @Goose has some great points about coach's ability in the sport vs. teaching the sport. I think skiing is a bit different though as @vanhoskier notes (in the context of recreational skiers). Mainly because in skiing, you must travel as you ski. You can't just stand there and hit the ball, throw something, catch, sprint back and forth, dribble, etc. to improve. In skiing you have to be moving and going downhill. So the coach needs to move with you and try to act as a moving mirror of sorts to help you improve. The instructor also needs to show that what they are asking you to do is possible in a demonstration. So the instructor skiing a line in something steep can help with the psychology that yes, this thing I just asked you to do is not only possible, but easy (for me). Also, it can be done on one foot, like I asked you to do. Kind of like Yoda moving the X-wing... :)

There is also something to mimicking a good instructor's rhythm and making the same progressive movements. Or trying to follow his/her tracks exactly. This isn't useful though if your instructor is a bad skier... As a counterpoint though, if my instructor is an awesome skier, it doesn't mean I have a clue how to go from where I am to how they ski. If I knew that, I wouldn't need a lesson.

EasternSkiBum

Booting up
Skier
I don't know where in Va. the op is.... but if your looking for an instructor training machine in the mid Atlantic than look at Liberty Mountain Resort in Pa. We have 4 ed staff members.... numerous L3's..... and too many to count L2's. The majority of us have spent most (if not all) of our teaching careers at our home resort. I'll update my avatar later.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don't know where in Va. the op is.... but if your looking for an instructor training machine in the mid Atlantic than look at Liberty Mountain Resort in Pa. We have 4 ed staff members.... numerous L3's..... and too many to count L2's. The majority of us have spent most (if not all) of our teaching careers at our home resort. I'll update my avatar later.
that's interesting to know for a relatively small hill

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Some people are visual learners: they find a demo to be useful in their learning process. Almost all students will benefit from not only verbal explanations, but also from descriptions of the feelings that come from making the movement patterns as well as a visual example of the movement pattern. Hence, it is important to be able to demonstrate the movement patterns that the instructor is attempting to elicit from their guest. You need a full quiver.

Mike

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
No, we text each other after work! :roflmao:

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
VAski and to Others Similarly Situated: Just my experience/thoughts over the past 20 years as a weekend ski instructor:

Your resort is happy to have you regardless of whether or not your skiing progresses because you know how to teach beginners and you are responsible and conscientious and you are willing to spend your money on gas to drive to the resort to teach.

And because it is a business -- which would like to pay its bills and even make a profit -- your resort will gladly monopolize all your skiing time for teaching.

So, you will have to manage your ski-teaching to ski-learning time yourself. I.E., to set boundaries.

My suggestion is that you create a win-win arrangement with your resort by saying to your supervisor, "I like teaching here, and I appreciate all that you have offered me in the past four years. But my skiing is not progressing and it is really, really frustrating me. I have been thinking about it, and I can teach here on Saturday* (customize the day to fit your and your resort's needs) but Sunday I need to free ski, because otherwise my skiing will not progress. And if my skiing does not progress, I will likely quit teaching altogether. Can we work something like that out?"

"Also, I need coaching/training to ski better. I know "Only perfect practice will make perfect skiing." And I know that I don't know enough to know what to practice and I know that I need to be observed by someone who knows when I am practicing right and will correct me when I am practicing wrong. So, how can I take advantage of free coaching/training here at this resort? If coaching/training is not available here I may need to go to the nearby resort (if any) to train. I don't need allot of attention, but I do need some coaching/training to ski better. Can you help me out?"

Here is the deal. Your personal skiing will not progress doing wedges with beginners. You will need instruction to get better at higher level skiing. And the cheapest way to get good high level instruction is to teach skiing at a resort. But you need to manage your allocation of ski-teaching to ski-learning time to achieve the result you want.

Your resort wants you. It will help you. But you need to express what you want and ask them how you can help them help you achieve what you seek.

If I am close to the mark with this post, and if you have such a conversation with your resort, please come back and tell us how it went. Because your experience can likely help others.

* And between Christmas and New Years and President's Day weekend, etc.

Last edited:

oooh

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
From what I've heard, it all depends on who you ask, and which division you're comparing to. Also from what I can tell, the PSIA 3 exam places far more of an emphasis on how well you can demonstrate drills, while the CSIA 3 focuses more on your skiing demos.

I actually did a bit research on this. With all due respect I beg to differ based on my research including official info and feedbacks from people that have passed these exams and some actually have experiences in both systems. CSIA LV3 doesn't even require you to ski double black moguls. They have four skiing tasks, intermediate parallel, short turns, advanced parallel, and moguls, conducted on blue or black terrains. At least in PSIA-E, you need to do all the above plus 5 more, and you need to ski all terrains available in bigger mountains in the East like Killington, Stowe, and Sunday River. In CSIA you don't even need to ski moguls to pass LV2. so it is not equivalent to PSIA LV2 if you ask me. Just check to see how many candidates have failed their PSIA 2 exams just because of the moguls, not to mention other tasks that are not required by CSIA 2. To me the CSIA LV3 is more like a PSIA LV2.5, though I agree CSIA LV4s are harder than PSIA 3s.

Last edited:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
To me the CSIA LV3 is more like a PSIA LV2.5, though I agree CSIA LV4s are harder than PSIA 3s.

This seems about right.

wutangclan

Getting on the lift
Skier
From what I've heard, it all depends on who you ask, and which division you're comparing to. Also from what I can tell, the PSIA 3 exam places far more of an emphasis on how well you can demonstrate drills, while the CSIA 3 focuses more on your skiing demos.

IMHO the bar for level 1 and 2 (CSIA) is set to low, yes you may be able to demonstrate skills, but a lot that I have met can’t ski well enough or have all the skill sets.

Relative ability of L3 in both associations... that's a tough one as it's inconsistent within our organization (PSIA). IMHO, the best L3 in PSIA are between CSIA L3 and 4. I think preparing for and passing CSIA L4 is certainly an attainable goal for this group.

I actually did a bit research on this. With all due respect I beg to differ based on my research including official info and feedbacks from people that have passed these exams and some actually have experiences in both systems. CSIA LV3 doesn't even require you to ski double black moguls. They have four skiing tasks, intermediate parallel, short turns, advanced parallel, and moguls, conducted on blue or black terrains. At least in PSIA-E, you need to do all the above plus 5 more, and you need to ski all terrains available in bigger mountains in the East like Killington, Stowe, and Sunday River. In CSIA you don't even need to ski moguls to pass LV2. so it is not equivalent to PSIA LV2 if you ask me. Just check to see how many candidates have failed their PSIA 2 exams just because of the moguls, not to mention other tasks that are not required by CSIA 2. To me the CSIA LV3 is more like a PSIA LV2.5, though I agree CSIA LV4s are harder than PSIA 3s.

MODERATORS: feel free to split this off to a "CSIA vs PSIA" thread.

I’m training for my CSIA L4 and guess what has been some of the most useful material to me that’s available online? The PSIA-RM tasks ... e.g. reading about the fundamentals skills needed for a successful Wedge Christie demo (no longer taught in Canada).

Having researched both CSIA and PSIA extensively, I would agree that it's fair to rank the base standards, from most difficult/rigorous to least, like so:
  • CSIA 4
    • PSIA 3
  • CSIA 3
    • PSIA 2
  • CSIA 2
    • PSIA 1
  • CSIA 1
As a CSIA L1 "examiner" myself, I'll frankly remark that the bar for L1 is very low. I see it just as a standardized recruitment, selection and orientation exercise, tied into the Canadian liability insurance regime. It serves its purpose but cannot be thought of as anything more than the entry point for rookie instructors. Furthermore, the ratio of L1-certified people who actually go on to work as instructors is quite low (~50%) ... there are lots of peeps who take it for kicks and bragging rights, calling themselves "instructors" yet they neither ski well nor ever teach. CSIA L2 used to be crazy easy too, but faced with criticisms similar to those leveled (heh) at the L1 standard, the CSIA has tightened it up a bit over the last few years. The jump to L3 and L4 is and always has been exponentially harder. The BC exam pass statistics for 2016/17 season were: L1: 1200+, L2: ~500, L3: 45, L4: 6!!! There were roughly the same number of L1, 2, 3, 4 passes in BC as the entire rest of Canada combined.

Now, just as there is a great deal of regional variation in the PSIA, so too there is in the CSIA. You can think of BC & Alberta as PSIA-RM and of Whistler as the new epicentre of the CSIA (it used to be Quebec). Whether justified or not, perceived or reality, CSIA West (BC/AB) looks down on CSIA East (ON/QC), especially for L3 and L4. I've heard stories of numerous Eastern L4s arriving in BC and getting less respect. There was one guy who kept failing the L4 exam in Whistler, flew to Quebec and passed it there, and got blackballed by everyone when he came back. Of course there are the greats from the East who command respect wherever they go, like JF Beaulieu, Sunny Verault, Luc Neron, Sebastien Michel, etc. But there's no denying the general undercurrent of regional tensions and perceived disparities.

The same dynamic exists within BC between the 900-lb gorrilla that is Whistler and all the other small/mid-sized resorts. Having seen this dynamic myself, I will testify that it's more objectively true than not. Someone who passed their L3 in Whistler is definitely a much stronger skier than someone who passed at Sun Peaks, Big White or Grouse. The exams were definitely much harder in Whistler, to the point that many Whistler instructors would travel to other BC resorts to pass the L3 under easier conditions. However in recent years, CSIA BC examiners started cluing in on this, and have made a good effort at evening up the standards by sending Whistler examiners to other BC resorts and vice versa. In the last few years the L3 pass rate outside of Whistler has gone significantly down. There have been several "unlucky" fellows in BC whose cohorts passed the L3 early on while they themselves were trapped failing the exam again and again after the standard was raised.

Relating it back to CSIA vs PSIA (and having spectated many exams in both systems), I would say that an L3 from Whistler is very close to a PSIA L3. They may not be familiar with PSIA exam tasks, but I guarantee you that the Whistler CSIA examiners are looking for all the same fundamental skills and competencies in a candidate's skiing, demonstrated in similar expert terrain. The pass rate at Whistler L3 exams is <10% (more like 5%), especially at the end of the season where 40+ candidates will contest it and only 2 or 3 pass (I cried in my beer at several of these).

It will be interesting to see what effect the Vail takeover has on Whistler and the CSIA. There've been many top level CSIA-examiners who were on the resort's payroll, but spending much of their time running training, adjudicating exams and directing strategy for the CSIA. Even before the takeover, one of the most prominent leaders in CSIA BC, "Doctor" (not actually a doctor) Ken Paynter, was effectively fired by the resort for doing too much CSIA work. No doubt that the resort gets a lot of indirect benefits from being the centre of the CSIA world, but the focus on revenue growth is bound to put pressure on WB Snow School to offload CSIA-related work.

One oddity, though, is that there is VERY little cross-pollination between CSIA and PSIA, except at the top level such as between the Interski demo teams and ski school / resort managers (especially those attending the "Model for Growth" conferences). The Canadian ski industry is largely staffed by the "Commonwealth" i.e. Canadians plus boatloads of Brits, Aussies and Kiwis who initially came over on working-holiday visas. It's exceptionally difficult (or at least not worth the effort) for Canadian ski instructors to work in the US and vice versa. This is quite the opposite from the racing scene where ACA and USS athletes rub shoulders with each other at NorAm and numerous regional races throughout the year. Too bad -- we have so much to learn from each other.

Last edited:

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
@wutangclan, interesting observations. I'm a PSIA Level 2 training for my level 3, although my age and subsequent loss of athleticism may make that unattainable. I've had the opportunity to ski with a couple of CSIA Level 4's both at Whistler. They were truly exceptional skiers and instructors. I've also skied with many PSIA examiners and national demo team members.

I've heard some of the CSIA Level 4's complain about CSIA in general and the East in particular. They note that (many?) of the East's folk are focused on on-piste skills blends that they believe are generally applicable but are well off mark in big mountain skiing. Of course, I'd say that many folk in PSIA have a similar issue. There's just not that many places to go to ski big mountain terrain, and even the top of the profession often will have limited, if any, exposure to it.

I do think that's one of the limitations of PSIA. Many potential young clients are looking for free-ride training. PSIA has freestyle trainers, but there's hardly anyone, (I can only think of 3 that I know of) who really have free-ride experience. Two of the 3 I know are no longer involved in PSIA as they repeatedly got their chops busted and one of those is now the free-ride coach of Team Summit.

I will say this of the CSIA Level 4's -- all of them I've skied with are skiing gods. They perform at an extremely high level. Most of PSIA's examiners would not be able to keep up.

Mike

wutangclan

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'm a PSIA Level 2 training for my level 3, although my age and subsequent loss of athleticism may make that unattainable.

I hear ya, bud. Though I'm "training" for the CSIA L4, realistically I'll never pass. I'm in my 40s, I'm about to have a kid, and I have a full time desk job. I enjoy training for the sake of training -- it gets me off the couch and keeps me out of trouble.

I will say this of the CSIA Level 4's -- all of them I've skied with are skiing gods. They perform at an extremely high level. Most of PSIA's examiners would not be able to keep up.

Don't get me wrong, though. There are plenty of PSIA 3s that could match the best of the CSIA. Why else are J. Ballou and JF Beaulieu such buds? They even have almost the same name ;-) My point being that every "cert" is a starting point, CSIA L4 and PSIA L3 included. Beyond that, there's still infinite variation with the sky as the limit. As the proverbial saying goes ... "good skiing is good skiing".

Last edited:

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Ballou is a national demo team member and chair of the PSIA-RM alpine committee. He's also an Examiner for the New Zealand SIA. He currently is in Austria skiing with the Czech demo team preparing for Interski, and he served as a selector for the Czech team last year. In other words, no normal Level 3...