• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Would you teach your significant other how to ski?

• Yes, he/she is my partner in crime.

• No, I don't know enough.

• H*ll no, I want to keep him/her happy and be enthusiastic when on the slopes.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlos Medina

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Greetings,

We have found it nearly impossible to find an independent ski instructor in Salt Lake City. My wife and I will be visiting from 20 Dec - 2 Jan. We would like to find an instructor to give her at least 2 half day sessions, totaling 8 hours. I know that resorts have an almost absolute monopoly on the enterprise AND they pay the instructors a fraction of what the resort is charging (yes, I know about operational costs), but there has to be an option or two out there. I can't teach her skiing because I am intermediate and my big strength is snowboarding (Double black, baby :yeah: )

I really do not want one of those instructors that will say "all you need is time". No. Much less one that gives that phony encouragement that makes me roll my eyes "good job!!" after anything.

Help me, Obi Wan Kenobi, there will be powder soon!

:armsling:

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
Take a lesson at the resort. What you are looking for is illegal and while you can find people to do this, resorts look for people doing this and will report to police.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome to Pugski! Unfortunately it's not a near monopoly on instruction at most resorts... it's an actual monopoly and outside instructors are not allowed.

I don't know enough about the resorts around SLC... but i suspect that will be the case. So instead, i think you should be looking for a good instructor recommendation for someone on staff at one of the resorts.

David Chan

getting after it!
Instructor
You are asking if any instructor is willing to violate their agreement with the school that has hired them.

How that is not fair to the instructors is a totally different thread/post but most ethical instructors will not teach under the table.
Good way to get banned from multiple resorts real fast..

TS
Carlos Medina

Carlos Medina

Skier
Take a lesson at the resort. What you are looking for is illegal and while you can find people to do this, resorts look for people doing this and will report to police.

Interesting. Based on occupational or business license? Some Resorts are, as a matter of fact, located in public land, the lifts are what’s private property. Because, calling the police would be for what? Trespassing? Pissing then off?

TS
Carlos Medina

Carlos Medina

Skier
You are asking if any instructor is willing to violate their agreement with the school that has hired them.

How that is not fair to the instructors is a totally different thread/post but most ethical instructors will not teach under the table.
Good way to get banned from multiple resorts real fast..

Correct, that’s why I asked about an “independent instructor”, not an “under-the-table one. I know about service/employment contracts and restrictive covenants.

I’d expect people to not violate a contract and risk their job and livelihood.

Last edited:
TS
Carlos Medina

Carlos Medina

Skier
Welcome to Pugski! Unfortunately it's not a near monopoly on instruction at most resorts... it's an actual monopoly and outside instructors are not allowed.

I don't know enough about the resorts around SLC... but i suspect that will be the case. So instead, i think you should be looking for a good instructor recommendation for someone on staff at one of the resorts.

If resorts contract almost instructors and employ them, correct, that’s a monopoly.
I just imagine that, this being a “free” country, in which free enterprise is encouraged, one would find at least a handful of instructors.

It’s like not being able to find a surgeon because a corporation, i.e. Aspen Dental owns all the market. ;)

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
Carlos I fear you missed out on years and years of discussion on "independent instructors" at US ski areas. What you are looking for may exist, but your chances of finding it here are slim to say the least. Brings to mind that old expression regarding beating a dead horse. This site can get you recommendations for excellent instructors working at and for almost any ski area you might visit. Best of luck.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
@Carlos Medina, I suspect members here will give you the details of why ski schools run by resorts on public land are officially given a legal monopoly by the US Forest Service. This is a thing. It's illegal for an instructor to teach for money at almost every ski area in the country. And for that reason (and others), employed instructors do get underpaid by the ski school. That's a big topic on this forum since we have so many instructor members.

However, buying lessons for your wife from the ski school does not have to end up with bad lessons. Many instructors are very good at teaching; you just have to find one of those people. Call the ski school, ask to speak with the ski school director, and if you can get through, explain your hesitations for booking a lesson to that person. Ask for a recommendation for a Level III certified instructor who will not do the things prior instructors have done. Be specific. Then book a private lesson or two, and if you are concerned about your instructor's pay, offer a very big tip in the end.

Or if you say in this thread where you will be skiing, members who know which instructors at that mountain are very good, they can contact you through private message to give you that recommendation.

If your wife is dissatisfied as the lesson progresses, have her leave the lesson and go down to the ski school office and complain. She'll be reassigned; people don't complain often enough. By the way, booking waay ahead is necessary to get the most requested instructors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online