• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Insta360 One X Camera

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Here's an example of the format featuring the delightfully quirky Bill Stoppard - who can really skate well. Acknowledging the fact that the selfie stick and your ski pole can't both go with you when you shoot, the camera sure gets a good view of the subject and would be a pretty good MA diagnostic tool for those who don't have a videographer following them around. Anyone use one of these while skiing?

E221b

New Yorker Dreaming of the Mountains
Skier
I’m planning on skiing with a 360 camera end of the month. I’ll report back. FYI you can certainly carry a collapsible selfie stick while skiing (especially if you ski with a backpack like I do) and/or get a mount for your ski pole, which will actually just like a selfie stick.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Since part of movement analysis is going to be watching what you're doing with your poles, it would depend on whether your pole usage was up to par, I would think. If you're just using your poles as outriggers, then complicating your learning with the conscious video lack-of-movement is only going to interfere with your ski movements.

Dos-Equis

Getting on the lift
Skier
I’m about to take this camera out West to Colorado. My handling solution is going to be to secure the selfie stick to my pack, so it gives a kind of a 3rd person video game view. I’ll report back with results!

trieu

Putting on skis
Skier
I think the 360 camera is a game changer. I risked buying a Rylo 360 camera knowing that they have been bought out, and not continuing with the software development - but it is such a difference. Now I can just mount the camera on my helmet and ski, and not have to worry to handhold my Gopro to point toward my kids. They can be skiing in the back of me, and zoom up & passme - and I can hone in on them in post editing by utilizing the "Follow me" function. And the software stabilization is superb - so a gimbal is not needed.

Dos-Equis

Getting on the lift
Skier
Btw, can not recommend the backpack method lol.

a tree at A Basin ate my insta 360 without me realizing it.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@textrovert, is this the camera you use?
GoPro Hero Max
I had the GoPro Fusion for 2 years before that.

Both are good hardware, but the Fusion software and work flow was really bad. They fixed that on Max.

Insta360 One X always had great software. Their support is excellent too. I'm not a fan of the form factor and it's a little less rugged than the GoPro cams. They had a modular camera that came out late last year which was interesting, but a little bigger in size. Apparently there is a One X2 in the works that should be out in a few months. That should be interesting to check out too.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the 360 camera is a game changer. I risked buying a Rylo 360 camera knowing that they have been bought out, and not continuing with the software development - but it is such a difference. Now I can just mount the camera on my helmet and ski, and not have to worry to handhold my Gopro to point toward my kids. They can be skiing in the back of me, and zoom up & passme - and I can hone in on them in post editing by utilizing the "Follow me" function. And the software stabilization is superb - so a gimbal is not needed.
Definite game changer.
I have a regular GoPro and never use it.

1) No need to point at anything. Never miss the shot.
2) incredible stabilization without a gimbal.
3) Vanishing mount trick for unique perspective.

Some examples from last season. All edited on my phone using the native app only.

The first I have it right on my helmet. Non extension pole, nothing.

The second is with a 8" pole on my helmet. Feels nuts skiing like this but gives a nice view.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January