• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Motivating in an Anthony Bordain meets Warren Miller meets Satchel Paige kind of way.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
47. Old? I wish I could remember back to when I was 47.

Japan has a serious demographic problem. Not enough young people. Not enough births. They're bringing in guest worker farmers from Southeast Asia, because they don't have enough people to grow their food. Industrial workers are also short of younger workers to learn the trades.

Plenty of vegetables, good. But they are certainly processed by pickling, fermenting, or salting, some of which adds to the nutritional benefit or allows storage for off season consumption. (I really like Michael Pollan's book In Defense of Food where he describes the difference between real food and the food-like products that fill our supermarket shelves...tip--if you can't pronounce the ingredients, it ain't food.)

I think having any physical activity for which one is passionate either extends life or maybe just extends the enjoyment of life, which is good, too.

TS
markojp

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
47. Old? I wish I could remember back to when I was 47.

Japan has a serious demographic problem. Not enough young people. Not enough births. They're bringing in guest worker farmers from Southeast Asia, because they don't have enough people to grow their food. Industrial workers are also short of younger workers to learn the trades.

Sheez... more captain positive there, eh? Where some see lemons, I see a lemonade factory. 47 years old? I thought I went skiing for the last time. Two days after that 'last' ski, I started chemo. Almost checked out. Took a couple of seasons to build back strength and some stamina. I remember it well. Always will.

Last edited:

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Liked the video Markojp. Boy, wish I was 47 again ! I hike and walk a lot but haven't done with custom made heavy shoes and a 20lb backpack. Maybe I should try this or maybe NOT. I do find myself eating better food and avoiding preservative chemically loaded crap we Americans eat daily.

As for my skiing. My 75yrs are taking a toll on my skiing activities. My stamina is not good anymore but probably better than most 75 yr olds. When I compare myself with most of the guys and gals I ski with have to admit I am getting old but when I compare myself to people my age I am still doing pretty good. Guessing thats it is all in the comparison. Almost all the guys I worked with for decade are old men now and don't do much of anything let alone ski.

Am looking at this year with a little hesitancy. I really can't ski more than 2 days in row - arthritis right knee. But still having fun.

FullSizeRender_1.jpg

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmmmm... I saw this video also and MD's hesitation to go for the D-Spin made me feel less guilty about "getting old" and not wanting to huck meat at 63.

However (topic pivot) the responses so far also makes me think about the problem with the demographics of skiing. I know this is only one forum, but how many of us here are over, say, 50? 60? 70? Again, maybe this is a self-selecting mostly "adult" forum, but do we represent a big segment of serious skiers in the country? And what does that say about the future?

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am 60. I have a signature flip I call it FOMBF for fat old man back flip. No not on skis, I do it off boats landing in water. I try to do 1 every year. Barely made it around this summer.

I am hoping to ski for another couple decades, but you never know.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Worthwhile watch for this person. There is much a person can do beyond 47 though one is unlikely to reach peak performance levels beyond 30s that is true in all sports. I seem to be on a similar path with diet, physical activity, never a nicotine, alcohol, or drug habit. Genetics probably has a good deal to do with aging but then as noted there are other factors involved.

My decades hi tech electronics career here in Silicon Valley has kept my mind sharp. Like Miura I am not one regularly working out. During ski season I mostly just ski. My skiing is often strenuous thus builds a strong respiration ability into the core of one's inner body. Frequently during the rest of the year that I've been at for over 4 decades as a landscape and nature photography enthusiast, I am hiking and backpacking carrying a lot of weight because of camera gear. Currently when backpacking, of which I did 6 trips this summer, that is about 45% of my body weight, way beyond usual. And again don't work out beyond that much otherwise because I don't seem to need to and can be lazy. That said some mountain athletes are far stronger, especially peakbaggers.

A couple of things his son, an aging researcher, said were that skiers have highest bone density of any sport and that those with longevity often engage in activities that build a strong lower body.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
The discussion on bone strength was interesting. Not getting shocking impact while skiing? Must not ski too many bumps in that family.

You are going to be old when you start telling yourself you are, and stop going after it.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Turned 70 last week; targeting 50 days on snow in the coming season. That's not enough, but it'll have to do until I stop working full time.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
One advantage of starting late (20's) and getting a wake up call and finally starting to really learn to ski at 49....
I'm 60 and still getting better!

I can attest to that. You are. :beercheer:

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
One advantage of starting late (20's) and getting a wake up call and finally starting to really learn to ski at 49....
I'm 60 and still getting better!

My terse statement was ambiguous. Many of us including this person may do our most skilled skiing well beyond 40. Especially given better skis and boots in this era. Also much depends on when where and how much. If one only really invests time, training, and effort in later years after just dabbling when young, of course one's personal peak will likely be later. What I actually meant more correctly was people generally have the greatest potential for athletic skills before 40 if such is developed during those earlier years. In other words at age 25 one has more potential developing highest skill levels than a couple decades later. And that is why world class professional athletes in Olympic competition are at those younger ages.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@SSSdave I get where your are coming from. I was just pointing out the paradoxical effect that aging might be more demoralizing if I had been hot stuff when I was young.

Sponsor

Staff online

• dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid