• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
vindibona1

vindibona1

Getting on the lift
Instructor
When I was in a clinic about 8 years ago an instructor told me that, when you're in the turn you pressure the ski 1 boot sole length to complete the turn.

Are you sure he meant "pressuring" the ski... or simply push it through? At the end of the turn there is so much pressure that mother nature APPLYS TO YOU that you're most likely trying to absorb the excess pressure rather than add it.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes it's a serious answer as it relates to timing.
I'm not sure what you mean by outward. I feel like I pressure the tongue of my boot to activate my ski. Moving into the turn its a little more like ten o'clock or two o'clock, with more pressure on the outside ski. The pressure begins to be more even as it moves to 12 o'clock in the middle of the turn (one boot sole length) as my inside leg is transitioning to be my new outside leg.
I should have said that in my original comment.

This past winter I was working more on having a bit more active inside ski just at the point its about to become my outside ski. That's sort of tricky in that it can make me rush my turn, so the work was on doing that without rushing my turn.

*I probably should have stayed out of this conversation because, even though I can have a face to face discussion about this sort of thing, I never feel like I can put in in print very well.
Are you sure he meant "pressuring" the ski... or simply push it through? At the end of the turn there is so much pressure that mother nature APPLYS TO YOU that you're most likely trying to absorb the excess pressure rather than add it.
Read my follow up post for clarification.

Gapak

Booting up
Skier
Hi guys, hoping to use english words in a correct way and making sense (if so... sorry).
I would say that it is not necessary to give pressure on the sole of the foot, but more to firmly hold the edge of the skis (inside and outside, both). if I want to try to give some kind of pressure, it should be on the edge, as if the intention was to use it to cut the ground. anyway probably the word pressure can be confused as if you meant a push, instead of a cut; Especially those who have learned to ski with the old school (like me) remember the pressure against the ground given by the extension phase, before the change of edges. For this reason imho the term pressure can generate some problems on its significance with current skiing... the combination of ski deformation and sidecut radius will do their job without the skier having to give extra pressure compared to that which is already naturally brought into play. The more cut I can give, the greater the deformation and the more the curve will be closed. I think that if the movement is well executed, the weight will naturally go mainly to the external foot. The greater the slope and speed, the greater the load on the outside.

my 2 cents :)

Alex

PS obviously all this refers to curves without skidding on enough compact snow

Pressure_Vs_Cut.jpg

bud heishman

Skiing performance facilitator
Instructor
Sky Tavern
Effective inside ski use requires some practice, and experience. You will undoubtedly experience different undesirable results from time to time while learning the skill blend. Getting the appropriate amount of tipping, weight bias and leverage bias and coordinating these movements takes time and trial and error. Starting with RR track skiing is the easiest and working toward dynamic turns. It will become intuitive just like how much to weight the inside ski in powder, your body will intuitively adjust to the variables. Once you begin actually bending the inside ski the fun begins!

I really like Gapak"s analogy above which highlights the neccessity to counter balance through transition to be able to keep the inside ski working and pressure directed toward the outside ski. If you are a banker, working the inside ski effectively will be challenging and your transitions will suck.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If you are a banker, working the inside ski effectively will be challenging and your transitions will suck.
Welcome back!

Took me a minute to catch on that you weren't taking about a person working at a financial institution.

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you are a banker, working the inside ski effectively will be challenging and your transitions will suck.
I know a banker who's working the inside ski pretty efficiently... and the transitions don't suck either! What is it, there are exceptions to every rule???

:roflmao:

... oh, wait - you mean a different kind of banker? How about this anti-CB-er? Not too too bad, really... eh?

Here's a whole bunch of them... at some kind of banking contest I presume...

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
and the transitions don't suck either! What is it, there are exceptions to every rule???
Are you saying something completely radical, like you're looking at the snow/ski interaction more than the body movements?

Why...why...I'm shocked...and stunned.....

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Are you saying something completely radical, like you're looking at the snow/ski interaction more than the body movements?

Why...why...I'm shocked...and stunned.....
Well, I have to say, it's perhaps the first time my keyboard turned into a zapper and stun gun simultaneously...
:geek:
But... on that, there's something very interesting going on when we look carefully at the ski snow interaction as it relates to the upper body... ;)

What do you think happens at the ski/snow level when someone say leans in and rotates?

Sponsor