• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Inside out turns

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This video in a series of BMA drills that Mikaela narrated (with demo done by BMA students) are superb.

It's the finer elements of the video drill that make the difference.
Holding the outside ski just above the snow, instead of a straight legged inclined position, brings the hips closer to level, and the transfer to the other ski is smooth and balanced. And there is minimal upwards movement during transition/transfer.

Undoubtedly Mikaela practiced and perfected this drill, and was able to put it to good use to win her (so far) only Olympic Gold medal in SL:

View attachment 67333

Don’t want to nit pick, but she didn’t win the SL gold. Frida did. Being a Swede I felt the need to point that out... ogsmile

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sotchi... was thinking Korea. Sorry for that. Giving it a second thought, I actually remember that she Nowayed it in that race... so many races.

Last edited:
TS
geepers

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier

abcd

Putting on skis
Skier
I was watching CSIA team intro video and it looked to me like quite a few members actually ski that way - most visible JF and another JF (Josh Foster)..
New outside food goes in the air early in the beginning of the turn and gets engaged a fraction of a second later.
I haven't noticed it in their skiing before, so maybe they are just doing it for demo purposes

new outside is still in the air, about to touch the ground

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I was watching CSIA team intro video and it looked to me like quite a few members actually ski that way - most visible JF and another JF (Josh Foster)..
New outside food goes in the air early in the beginning of the turn and gets engaged a fraction of a second later.
I haven't noticed it in their skiing before, so maybe they are just doing it for demo purposes

new outside is still in the air, about to touch the ground

Yeah, that's a weighted release, where you tip the downhill ski while it's still weighted. Very fast transition.

TS
geepers

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
There's another benefit that's occurred to me. For skiers with fore/aft balance issues, excessive tip lead and/or issues with inside foot wandering off on it's own.

When placing the new outside ski on the snow it will be in the correct position wrt the inside foot, and with correct fore/aft balance, into the fall line.

I suppose the ski could be placed on the snow way out of position however the feedback will be fairly instantaneous.

Sponsor

Staff online