• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic Inside intel says Camelback PA is being purchased by KSL

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
SO, we know that your info was correct since KSL purchased Camelback. I wonder when they began discussions? Ideas? Just wondering how long they knew that there would be other ski pass options.
To be clear, as noted up thread, there are multiple "KSL" companies, and the one that purchased it is not the one that was originally thought to be buying it. It's a resort company that bought it, not the ski specific company that's part of Alterra. The key point there being that it's not an Alterra resort, so there's no guarantee that they'll be going to Ikon pass. It's not currently Ikon.

Jane Jones

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I find this so interesting. I guess that is how rumors spread; when we don't have exact facts. Why such a big secret? Never good for the employees. I wonder when KSL started the process of discussions to buy Camelback? Years ago?

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I find this so interesting. I guess that is how rumors spread; when we don't have exact facts. Why such a big secret? Never good for the employees. I wonder when KSL started the process of discussions to buy Camelback? Years ago?

There are all sorts of reasons not to share possible acquisition information with employees.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I guess. But how do they keep it secret for so long? Discusions of aquistions had to be for at least a year.

Clearly someone got some information and shared it in this case. Some acquisition discussions are long and drawn out but not always. I recently took a law school class that was taught by counsel to Coors about a transaction that was known as megabrew. While I can't go into details the behind the scenes details of how it went down was fascinating. I'm taking international mergers and acquisitions in the fall because this part of business and the law is highly interesting to me.

Lift Blog

Getting on the lift
Industry Insider

Not such a well kept secret :)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I will to your thoughts. Every other aquistion KSL has made, there had been press released, Facebook posts, e-mails ect. Nothing with this one. Growing up on Camelback and knowing the amount of traffic that it sees, I did think the silence was indeed deafening.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I will to your thoughts. Every other aquistion KSL has made, there had been press released, Facebook posts, e-mails ect. Nothing with this one. Growing up on Camelback and knowing the amount of traffic that it sees, I did think the silence was indeed deafening.
What do you mean? KSL does own Camelback. But Camelback is part of a separate holding company than Alterra. Maybe one day they will decide Camelback will be affiliated with the Ikon pass, but until then no need for press release, etc. Camelback is not part of Alterra. KSL is not the same thing as Alterra. Alterra is a holding company of KSL, but KSL own a bunch of other stuff as well separate from Alterra.Camelback is held in another holding company outside of Alterra.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Alterra is a holding company of KSL, but KSL own a bunch of other stuff as well separate from Alterra.Camelback is held in another holding company outside of Alterra.
Again, to be clear, there are 2 KSLs.... the one that bought Camelback (KSL Resorts) is not the same KSL that is part of Alterra (KSL Capital Partners).

They may as well be owned by Boyne or anyone else, as far as Ikon pass inclusion goes.

Jane Jones

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Nope. Live in the area. Everyone knew but no news covered it. It was a secret. Didn’t come out until KSL applied for the liquor license.
Also. Employees we knew had their health insurance changed to KSL BUT news never mentioned anything.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Again, to be clear, there are 2 KSLs.... the one that bought Camelback (KSL Resorts) is not the same KSL that is part of Alterra (KSL Capital Partners).

They may as well be owned by Boyne or anyone else, as far as Ikon pass inclusion goes.
Actually there is one KSL. KSL owns KSL resorts, they have a 75 percent interest in Alterra, and they own other stuff as well. KSL is a private equity company. KSL resorts and Alterra are portfolio companies. But technically, there is one KSL when referring to the private equity company.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
It was a secret because it was sold in 2018 but we never heard about it until April 2019.
That is strange. Not sure why they would wait so long and not tell employees about it after the acquisition. Not that you necessarily expect a press release, but you'd expect employees to be informed about it.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Ask and you shall receive

Thanks... some time ago earlier in this thread we (well, me at least) were looking for info on the ties between the KSL's and it was sparse. That seems like a new page since then.

Still - I'd like to know more about the relationship between KSL Resorts and KSL Capital Partners. It seems that KSL Resorts bought Camelback, but KSL Capital Partners is an investor/backer? I'm not sure how that works. Do we know that KSL Capital Partners owns KSL Resorts? Or are they incorporated/setup separately and just have ties?

Sponsor

Staff online